The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: New Harley Auto tune module now available

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 02:50 PM
tlyoungb
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Race Tuner is no longer legal for sale in north America- Because it allows for adjustments outside of the EPA restrictions.
Currently, Street Tuner only from HD, as it's limited to EPA restrictions on adjustability.
Hi rigidthumper. This i know, but can't the race tuner also be used as just like a street tuner? I know it has the ability to do more than the street tuner, but can it be used like a street tuner. Does the Street tuner have the ability to do Smart Tune?

Old 04-16-2017, 08:40 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by tlyoungb
Does the Street tuner have the ability to do Smart Tune?
Yes the SE Pro Street Tuner will record data for Smart Tuning the VE tables.

You can view the HS Pro Street Tuner training here:
http://streetperformancetuner.harley...ENU/index.html

You can download the software and look at the available tunes here:
http://streetperformancetuner.harley...reetTuner.aspx

use ten 1s for the VCI serial number.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:18 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,454 Likes on 1,600 Posts

The street tuner can do smart tune, but it's limited to stock AFR, +/- 10 VE points, and +/- a couple degrees of timing. the Super Tuner doesn't have the same limitations- you can modify the AFR request table, adjust VE from 40s to 120s, spark advance from -4° to 50°, etc. The reason it's illegal to sell Super Tuners is they were an emissions defeat device. The Street tuner is designed to work with the bikes EPA approved equipment, within the EPA approved limits.

The following 2 users liked this post by rigidthumper:
FLTRI17 (01-22-2018), tlyoungb (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 PM
tlyoungb
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I see. You know I purchased the Super Tuner, but never used it. But I have 44K on my 2014 Utra Classic. It has the stock air cleaner. The only thing I put on it was a pair of Take off Screaming Eagles exchaust from a new CVO. It is not loud, but I do like the bigger dia. pipes. It was mainly for the looks. My loud pipe days are over. I have hard enough time with my hearing from ride all these years. I was thinking of using the smart tune part of the tuner just to see if I could get maybe some cool down some.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:04 AM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

If it's put out by the MOCO, you KNOW it will be EPA compliant ...

The following users liked this post:
geminisdividing (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 12:21 PM
geminisdividing
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Did anyone notice that the ATM kit comes with an EPA sticker

hahaha yes it does. I bought one and I am testing it out. I will update you all with some info. bottom line is I will keep it on my Dyna until either I am satisfied with it or my warranty runs out. I had a thundermax on my last twin cam with aftermarket headwork and cams on a little 88ci... it really woke that engine up. so far I have plugged in in and set the base calibration to "close" for the stage 1 for SE110 (I am running a different 2 to1 exhaust). I have only few tanks of gas through it so..... the bike sounds and runs smoother than before. My thoughts about it are well.... Its no thundermax but it'll do for now. the adjustment capabilities are limited at best. IMHO it still runs lean, just like from the factory. its horrible that you can not adjust the decel or RPM limit with the pro street tuner.... honestly the bars and seat and other parts I put on my 2017 cost more than both systems together. No one here bought a Harley because it was economical. FYI I will most likely purchase thundermax at some point. FYI the tuners marry to the bike the ATM doesn't and is from my understanding returnable. If that is the case someone can buy it try it out with a super tuner. If it doesn't work return it. ML&R

Old 08-13-2017, 12:53 PM
geminisdividing
3rd Gear

another question for the men that are experienced with tuning. since the pro street tuner can only "view" not adjust certain parameters of a map. is there a way to adjust the map file as to have different base parameters? specifically with decel and RPM in mind? TIA

Old 08-13-2017, 12:58 PM
geminisdividing
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tjhog
If it's put out by the MOCO, you KNOW it will be EPA compliant ...
wondering if there are non epa compliant base maps?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:35 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by geminisdividing
wondering if there are non epa compliant base maps?
I'm sure the MOCO has mapping for all types of running.
I'm also sure we, as the general public, have no access to those calibrations.
Since the MOCO has been caught with their pants down I doubt you will see any calibrations that are not EPA compliant.

FWIW, there are other ways to get a bike to run its best but I guarantee it doesn't come from the Mothership.

ThunderMax is not my first choice simply because replacing the entire engine management system with an aftermarket system that is not supported by any Harley dealership or factory leaves me to my own abilities, possibly out in the middle of Nowhere, USA
That, coupled with the absolute terrible/non-existent customer service/tech help, makes this a non-starter from this tuner's standpoint.

Of course a guy could always carry his/her stock ECM, sensors, etc wherever they go, and in the event of breakdown, reinstall the Harley engine management system on the way to the closest dealer for diagnostics and repair work.
Then again, if the Harley stuff fixes the running issue it would be a great help to have the bike tuned with the HD stuff before replacing with aftermarket.
That way, if a breakdown occurs due to EFI issues, the tuned ECM can be reinstalled to get the bike back to running correctly.
Bob

Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,259 Likes on 3,629 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
I'm sure the MOCO has mapping for all types of running.
I'm also sure we, as the general public, have no access to those calibrations.
Since the MOCO has been caught with their pants down I doubt you will see any calibrations that are not EPA compliant.

FWIW, there are other ways to get a bike to run its best but I guarantee it doesn't come from the Mothership.

ThunderMax is not my first choice simply because replacing the entire engine management system with an aftermarket system that is not supported by any Harley dealership or factory leaves me to my own abilities, possibly out in the middle of Nowhere, USA
That, coupled with the absolute terrible/non-existent customer service/tech help, makes this a non-starter from this tuner's standpoint.

Of course a guy could always carry his/her stock ECM, sensors, etc wherever they go, and in the event of breakdown, reinstall the Harley engine management system on the way to the closest dealer for diagnostics and repair work.
Then again, if the Harley stuff fixes the running issue it would be a great help to have the bike tuned with the HD stuff before replacing with aftermarket.
That way, if a breakdown occurs due to EFI issues, the tuned ECM can be reinstalled to get the bike back to running correctly.
Bob
Don't agree with the argument about Tmax if the bike is no longer under warranty. If you have a custom tune with TTS or PV and the ECM dies, you still have to replace the ECM and reprogram. Now days I bet the dealers aren't stocking ECMs so you still like have the wait for a new ECM.. Under warrant, yeah, let the HD / dealership deal with it..

Quick Reply: HARLEY: New Harley Auto tune module now available