The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Does the MAP deceleration curve tell you anything

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Does the MAP deceleration curve tell you anything

OK so I've heard a couple of people hint at a Deceleration MAP curve so I thought I'd show you mine because it kind of wasn't what I had expected.

Does looking at this data tell you anything? is there a problem in mine for example? ...or is that just the way it is and who cares anyway?

cheers

This one is off a Power Vision, just in case that makes a difference and the ride is rather good

Last edited by Gordon61; 04-07-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

missed that thread !

Old 04-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

No takers? OK, my thought is...

This is what happens when you take some of your CDE entries too far and seems to be accompanied by a tell tale sign in the VE table itself. In this case the 1825 and 2250 CDE entries are wrong.

I keep remembering that Steve said that EGR didn't affect MAP readings so will qualify this with, maybe this is a PV foible as with the MAP value at idle discussion a couple of years back.

Anyways, having gone back through my CDE tuning data I can sort of see when things started to go wrong, and the deceleration curve prior to that was more of a smooth curve.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
No takers? OK, my thought is...

This is what happens when you take some of your CDE entries too far and seems to be accompanied by a tell tale sign in the VE table itself. In this case the 1825 and 2250 CDE entries are wrong.

I keep remembering that Steve said that EGR didn't affect MAP readings so will qualify this with, maybe this is a PV foible as with the MAP value at idle discussion a couple of years back.

Anyways, having gone back through my CDE tuning data I can sort of see when things started to go wrong, and the deceleration curve prior to that was more of a smooth curve.
You need to be careful as the fuel gets turned off in decel at times. So you need to separate decel fuel and decel fuel cutoff points apart or you will begin chasing your tail.

The following users liked this post:
Gordon61 (04-20-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Let me a few more days to find the time to finish working on my CDE tune and I will show you the before and after Decel MAP curve. There is definitly an impact.

Since you can move your VE higher or lower with the CDE, the MAP has to change since the INJ PW remain the same (once tuned).

Old 05-02-2017, 03:50 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Frédéric CM
Let me a few more days to find the time to finish working on my CDE tune and I will show you the before and after Decel MAP curve. There is definitly an impact.

Since you can move your VE higher or lower with the CDE, the MAP has to change since the INJ PW remain the same (once tuned).

You can raise the VE by lowering the CDE table and you can lower VE by raising CDE table. I agree and can follow up to this point. Both of these tables are used to come up with how long to hold injector open. The CDE table just covers more area with a "cell" that makes the number a constant for several of the VE table cells. Why are we making it more complicated than it is by adding MAP into it?

The curve doesn't tell me anything. A bike on a dyno will show you one curve. Might be a bit different on a low inertia dyno. Same as you will different curves in different gears. Also depending on weight of bike and the grade of road. Which way you are traveling. Loaded up bike with mama on the back, to running empty to the store for cigs. You know. All the same things that affect MAP at 15% throttle/ 2500 rpm's.

Edited because the red print is backwards. Brain fart, it happens. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited by hrdtail78; 05-03-2017 at 11:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
FLTRI17 (05-02-2017), Gordon61 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

...although if you remove the deceleration data that has no fuel ...you are not left with much data at all to form any curve/line/square whatever ...comes back to the basic question, does whatever it looks like mean anything?? or are we barking up the wrong tree??

Deceleration and no fuel is possibly where the old guidance of setting the PV autotune to ignore data with MAP less than 30 or so comes from ...because the PV autotune process is not AI enough to ignore data where there was no fuel??

No fuel is going to make the O2 sensors report blocklocks in regard to the "autotune" trying to calculate a VE

Last edited by Gordon61; 05-02-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

oops, Jason beat me to it mid type

I was coming to that conclusion, glad someone sensible put me out of my misery, cheers

Old 05-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
...although if you remove the deceleration data that has no fuel ...you are not left with much data at all to form any curve/line/square whatever ...comes back to the basic question, does whatever it looks like mean anything?? or are we barking up the wrong tree??

Deceleration and no fuel is possibly where the old guidance of setting the PV autotune to ignore data with MAP less than 30 or so comes from ...because the PV autotune process is not AI enough to ignore data where there was no fuel??

No fuel is going to make the O2 sensors report blocklocks in regard to the "autotune" trying to calculate a VE
So let's take this a little further. It takes time for the fuel to reach the engine once it has been turned off and the manifold and heads dry out. Once this happens some of the fuel that would normally go into the engine is then soaked up into the porous material because it's dry. There is a term to this state and it's called "wall wetting" and it has to be accounted for. So the fuel turns on, wall wetting happens and what do you think the O2 are going to report? How do you know when to ignore and when not too, as you can have the conditions both occur at the same MAP reading?

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
FLTRI17 (05-02-2017), Gordon61 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:58 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

not quite sure that I agree that metal is porous but I get what you mean

What you describe essentially becomes something of a delay factor...?

stop fuel - the airflow absorbs what is on the "wet walls" - O2's tail off to lean
start fuel - and some is lost as the walls wet up again - O2's are initially lean

Is this effect significant on these engines with the injectors hitting the back of the inlet valve?

...at least significant enough that we should know and not chase our tails, I presume

ADD: we're back to you really need a dyno to get good steady state data, huh

Last edited by Gordon61; 05-03-2017 at 04:05 AM.

Quick Reply: No Device: Does the MAP deceleration curve tell you anything