The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Who has just used the Quick Tune option on their powervision tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Who has just used the Quick Tune option on their powervision tuner

Just wondering if anyone has used the QuickTune option in their powervision tuner just to bump up the fuel % in the low mid and high settings before during or after an auto tune flash
Wiz

Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

mmm ...what was the question again?

Lots of people have made quick tune changes before an autotune and after one probably for a whole host of reasons and tests ...but what are you thinking about?

Doing it during an autotune??
An initiated autotune has already amended the base tune and flashed that to the ECU (depending on the autotune type that may be setting the whole AFR table to 14.3, disabling AFF, retarding the timing by 4 degrees, disabling AE and DE etc)

Applying a quick tune, also flashes an amendment to the ECU. Applying a quick tune, effectively on top of an autotune setup ...is that what you want to know about?? and why would you even think about doing that?? bumping the fuel would lower the AFR value outside of closed-loop so even if the little box did allow you to do that, autotune probably breaks because you just kicked it into open-loop so the stock O2 sensors can't give the feedback to learn anything??

Have I used quick tune - yes, Have I saved a current config while in autotune - yes, have I quick tuned the autotune setup - err ...no.

So, what are you thinking here??

Old 05-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

you can do a quick tune, then do a save current tune and then autotune that. Or you can do an autotune run and export it and then quick tune that. I've never done it but that's a couple of different ways you can play with it if you want.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:23 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
mmm ...what was the question again?

Lots of people have made quick tune changes before an autotune and after one probably for a whole host of reasons and tests ...but what are you thinking about?

Doing it during an autotune??
An initiated autotune has already amended the base tune and flashed that to the ECU (depending on the autotune type that may be setting the whole AFR table to 14.3, disabling AFF, retarding the timing by 4 degrees, disabling AE and DE etc)

Applying a quick tune, also flashes an amendment to the ECU. Applying a quick tune, effectively on top of an autotune setup ...is that what you want to know about?? and why would you even think about doing that?? bumping the fuel would lower the AFR value outside of closed-loop so even if the little box did allow you to do that, autotune probably breaks because you just kicked it into open-loop so the stock O2 sensors can't give the feedback to learn anything??

Have I used quick tune - yes, Have I saved a current config while in autotune - yes, have I quick tuned the autotune setup - err ...no.

So, what are you thinking here??
Hey Gordon, thanks for the quick reply mate. Well I was thinking of getting the PV with a can tune then running auto tune to just set the bike up and see if any fine adjustments are required.
then after the flash if there was any issues like decell popping to any great extent I could use the quick tune to make small + - % fuel adjustments.
Wiz

Old 05-13-2017, 03:54 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Ah ok so nothing to do with messing with autotune then.

That sounds fine. I have used quick tune a couple of times but like i said, I only found it useful for doing little quick and dirty test.

Autotune starts with a map in one of your slots, the autotune process collects data, and you then save that data back to a new tune (most people probably save the new tune in a different slot so that you can use the WinPV software to compare what happened.

Quick tune doesn't save any new maps ...it takes whatever is in the ECU at the time and messes directly with that, and writes it back to the ECU without making a copy in a slot --- so you don't really know what it did. However, if you THEN take a save of the current tune, you can use WinPV to see what it actually did. And adjust it further or edit your saved map so that you have a copy of what you are actually running.

It can be a bit clunky in the way it applies changes, if you like nice smooth table and I just like knowing what **** is doing ...so a quick and dirty test might be useful but it's no replacement for editing your tune properly and in a controlled manner in WinPV.

I might suggest you ask others on here about any issues after your autotune - not sure I agree with the chuck fuel in to cure deceleration popping, I suspect that is more about getting a proper tune in that area ...or fixing the air leak or design of the exhaust. Easily said when I don't have any I suppose There are as many opinions on that one as which oil to use I think, lol

Last edited by Gordon61; 05-13-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:34 AM
ebusa
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good question from the OP. I have a PV2 being delivered today and plan on installing it on my 17 fxdls.

I'm using the FP3 currently and although it works pretty good, I wanted more options with tuning. I wish I would have researched tuning options before I got the FP3,(not that its a bad product), it was just an impulse decision when I ordered exhaust at dealer.

I ordered my PV2 and the base map for my bike with the Bassani RR2 2-1 exhaust. I plan on loading the map today and plan to do a series of autotunes first, then use quick tune for any adjustments for decel popping, etc..

Old 05-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

EDIT ...never mind, said it above already

Last edited by Gordon61; 05-13-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: deleted
Old 05-13-2017, 12:43 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

It is a option when the VE's were mapped with widebands and now I am trying to map the closed loop area only in the area that it is selected with out chasing my tail in the open loop area that is already mapped. I do this as well on the older SE devices. It's the only way I know that allows me to set up my calibration the way I want and over riding the changes in the "tune ready" calibrations.

With these lesser tuning devices. I start and map everything with WB data, and then map just CL area w ECM data. Even w/ the better tuning devices. This is how I will start a calibration for a combination of parts that is not normal. I will start down at idle. Collect data and get the VE's close to a safe area. Then I slowly move up w/ RPM and TP blending along the way. It is a bit slow but the safest way that I have came up with.

Remember how the VE corrections are made in these products. Everything can work out perfect if other things are in line. But if you are tuning a 103 and have to have 135 cubic inch in the program so you don't run out of head room. Or you have to take 30% away from the injector size. This is going to affect how close the fuel is going to be after you add a point to the target AFR table. How far is it going to be off? I don't know numbers but doing it both ways and comparing. I have proven to my self. The tolerance of error seems to be less with mapping VE's with the actual target you are going to operate at. Isn't that what it's all about. Reducing the tolerance of error? It's a combustion engine.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Quick tune is take a guess in an area, flash, see what happens?? No real difference to editing in WinPV (in this case) and flashing. DJ thinks there is merit in not needing a computer, fair enough, that will fit somewhere

What you guys really want tho is a "live" system that doesn't have you faffing around flashing the ECU every 5 mins with each little step change?

I presume the developers have them, but an ECU emulator that allows direct live input to the tables and produces an applicable map at the end of the process when complete would be a great step forward, no?

Old 05-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

You might want to be a little wary of Quick Tune ...it seems to have a little mind of its own

I was tuning with the FP3 and was using the PV to take some logs. I thought I would try reducing the timing to see what happened so used the PV's QT feature to reduce it ...well, it was already hooked up

It SAID it was reading the current tune, applied the change and flashed it back ...thing is I then copied out what it flashed and it was nothing like the map the FP3 had flashed in there.

weird!!!

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Who has just used the Quick Tune option on their powervision tuner