The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: SEPST VCI recording files

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 AM
rsscoggins
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default SEPST VCI recording files

All

I am having an issue where my bike is pinging at certain RPMS and throttle settings.

I reviewed one of the VCI recordings (.hdx file) that I made in an attempt to get the pinging under control.

These recordings are stored in an XML file format. I found instances where the timing is being retarded - those with an xml tag of <Name>d_adv_front</Name> or <Name>d_adv_rear</Name>. values range from -0.5 to -4 in some cases.

At times, it looks like the knock sensor detected the ping since it has a value in the entries with a tag of <Name>d_spk_nock_f</Name> or <Name>d_spk_nock_r</Name>

Should I go into the spark advance tables and back off the timing by the degrees indiated in the d_adv tag at the specified RPM <Name>d_eng_speed</Name> and throttle position <Name>d_tps_pct</Name>?

If anyone has experience with these recording and can help me decipher, that would be awesome. For example, my <Name>d_eng_temp</Name> shows low (139 to 150s range) but the bike was definitely HOT as it was 100 degrees here yesterday in Texas and the dipstick thermometer read 260 to 280 at times. Also when I would look at the stats in the SEPST Toolbox ->Data tab, it would show something close to the dipstick reading and not close to the value in the <Name>d_eng_temp</Name> tag.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:18 AM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

When you have pinging means your ignition is too early, decrease the degrees. You should be able to see when the knock sensor output resulted in delayed ignition. Check the graphs.
The database-files can easily be imported in excel if you know a bit of Visual Basic. The tags form indeed a hamper for easy import. You will need program excel that during the import it triggers on the amount of variables. If it does not work I can send you my import program in excel so you can have the data in orders excel list and make all the charts you want. That why I did it as well, I was not quite happy with what I was seeing on the graphs. So programmed my own viewer.