The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: PV settings to make bike start easier

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 05:31 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default PV settings to make bike start easier

Bike is an M8 Softail 114. PV, cam and exhaust. Bike starts a bit hard. One suggestion was to remove some ignition timing in the high Kpa areas at 500 to 1250 rpms. Sound reasonable? Would 3 degrees be enough? Thanks

Old 04-07-2022, 06:07 AM
dieselbeef
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

possibly address this to fuel moto..they are very knowledgeable.also ive actually had dynojet walk me thru some stuff..theyre reall good cust service also...

The following users liked this post:
martin10 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 11:03 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselbeef
possibly address this to fuel moto..they are very knowledgeable.also ive actually had dynojet walk me thru some stuff..theyre reall good cust service also...
Then there is no reason to have any other input from any other pro dyno tuners. When talking with DJ customer service. Ask them how many bikes they have ever tuned. Answer I got was zero.

jbarr1 (04-08-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 06:42 PM
dieselbeef
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there are ways..timing and fuel is both adj..also the percentage of throttle opening..its all in there if ya know what each one of the parameters mean ..there so many adj its hard to know what each one does...almost every dyno guy will use yer pv to adj everyhting as he builds the map...

Old 04-09-2022, 07:57 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,436 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Bike is an M8 Softail 114. PV, cam and exhaust. Bike starts a bit hard. One suggestion was to remove some ignition timing in the high Kpa areas at 500 to 1250 rpms. Sound reasonable? Would 3 degrees be enough? Thanks
Basically what does your bike do? The M8 got revised ACR that work properly so the engine should spin over freely. If it does not then its and ACR issue and has nothing to do with tuning unless they turned them off. Next would be if it cranks fine but them starts hard it depends on the tune as it could be fuel or timing at that point but removing timing from the low RPM high kPa area isn't going to help it.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:38 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,265 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
...snip....
The M8 got revised ACR that work properly so the engine should spin over freely.
...snip...
Now that is good to know. Do you know if these better, late model ACRs can
be retro fitted to the TwinCam engine ?

thanks for any insight,

T.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,436 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Now that is good to know. Do you know if these better, late model ACRs can
be retro fitted to the TwinCam engine ?

thanks for any insight,

T.
It's not the ACR's themselves. It is a problem with the way the software works in the ECM's. The ACR's are not told to work until the ECM finds where the engine is at so it can sync itself to it. This takes a couple of engine revolutions to occur and if your high compression build stops the starter dead in its tracks that cannot happen.

WKNDS (04-13-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 11:40 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
It's not the ACR's themselves. It is a problem with the way the software works in the ECM's. The ACR's are not told to work until the ECM finds where the engine is at so it can sync itself to it. This takes a couple of engine revolutions to occur and if your high compression build stops the starter dead in its tracks that cannot happen.
Sorry to re-hash this, but this got me to thinking what would be the 'easiest' way to manually control the ACRs in the older TwinCams ?
Can I simply disable ACR in Mastertune when I program the ECM, then disconnect the ACR wiring from the BCM and control
them with a Momentary button mounted on my left-side handlebar ?

Thanks for any insight,

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 06-04-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:41 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Sorry to re-hash this, but this got me to thinking what would be the 'easiest' way to manually control the ACRs in the older TwinCams ?
Can I simply disable ACR in Mastertune when I program the ECM, then disconnect the ACR wiring from the BCM and control
them with a Momentary button mounted on my left-side handlebar ?

Thanks for any insight,

T.
You can also change your start relay to a 5 plug style and controls them with start button.

WKNDS (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 04:02 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
You can also change your start relay to a 5 plug style and controls them with start button.
Now this sounds interesting. Where can I find out more information about this ?

THANKS!

T.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: PV settings to make bike start easier