"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Where To Live?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To Live?

Daughter told us that when her hubby retires from the Navy next year, they want to move back down to Orlando area where he is from, since they can't afford a good school zone in Va Beach that they can afford. He is an idiot, his retirement plan is to get a 60K a year job down there. Personally I think he'll end up driving a shuttle bus for the Rodent.

He's a Chief Fire Controlman, pretty sharp, but no other real education. His real claim to fame is spending hours on the compooter playing World of Warcraft or whatever. He has 3 screens, and a laptop all running at once, plus he has the headset on. 12 hours a day.

My big worry is, wife wants to go where the kids are. Orlando? I really don't want to live in a trailer park, or a condo, or some project with a PUD that tells me what color my trashcan has to be, and no, you can't work in your garage with the doors open, and motorcycle? Park it off property.

I've got at least a year, since he goes out next June. Now, figuring I can go an hour away, where do we start to look? I'm a country kinda guy, despite being from Philly. Living in the country in Virginia has spoiled me, along with great riding.

I retired from the Navy in 1990, almost got out in Jacksonville. Had a girlfriend living off 1 between Jax and St. Augustine. First job offer came in Virginia, so there I went (and stayed).

Larger lots, country type living?

Old 06-06-2015, 04:44 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I'd suggest St Augustine. Nice town, lots of restaurants, nice beach. Easy to get out of and off to some nice riding. Its closer to 1.5-2.0 hours from Orlando, but worth it. Your daughter and son-in-law might want to think about it too. Good schools, and the pay scale is higher in nearby Jacksonville than Orlando, or just about any other place in Florida.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:58 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Haha. Tell us what you really think about your son in law. I wouldn't move somewhere based on where a son in law lives. Rent a place for a few months and see how you like living down there.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Try looking between Orlando and Daytona. The Lake Helen and Sanford area. There is still plenty of country style living in that area, and less than an hour to downtown Orlando. If you go out from Orlando in almost any direction you can get country living. Orlando is built up, but not incredible spread out, yet.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:32 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ron750
Haha. Tell us what you really think about your son in law. I wouldn't move somewhere based on where a son in law lives. Rent a place for a few months and see how you like living down there.
Does any father like the guy who marries his little girl. To be fair, he loves and worships her and his son. I just think he's lazy.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:06 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Titusville.......Oak Hill.....Ocala......Deland......any place at least 35 miles from Orlando. Sorry, can't narrow it down more.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyrube
Does any father like the guy who marries his little girl. To be fair, he loves and worships her and his son. I just think he's lazy.

lmfao...

Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

60K a year....Hmmmmmm......drug dealer is kind of a departure from Navy admiral. But it pays well. Orlando is nice to drive through...If I have an extra hour or two, I take the interstate. I would go to Margarittavile more often for a cheeseburger in paradise, but the fuc-kers want $16 just to park.
Being retired military, he might enjoy Mickey Mouse.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

Minneola, Clermont, nice areas, they have something you don't see in Fl much......hills. lol Lots of lakes around that area. West of Orlando. I live 3 hrs south of their, so cant offer much about that area. I know the traffic is terrible around Orlando.....been stuck in it. Disney must still do a very good business.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:31 PM
BArider
4th Gear

Mt. Dora, Eustis, anywhere northwest of Orlando is great. Some hills, some country folks, and very few rules. Maybe you two will bond in the sunshine state, if not lots of room to hide the body.

Quick Reply: Where To Live?