"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Any weekday riders in my area

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Any weekday riders in my area

Wondering if there any riders on this forum from the Daytona, Holly Hill, Ormond Beach, Flagler area who, like me, are retired, have time and like to ride during the week.

I belong to and ride with the SCRC chapter 694 out of New Smyrna, but most of their members are working folks or they are from a long distance away.

I consider mysel a relatively a new rider since I just got my Cherry a few months ago after not riding for almost 40 years. Then my return to riding got interrupted by a back injury that required back surgery...so I just had my 1k service, but now putting on the miles riding solo and by myself. I'm not a bar hopper, so it has been out, maybe stop get a bite to eat, and return.

So. If there are "Any weekday riders in my area" who might like to get together for some 1 or 2 on 1 riding I would be happy to hear from them.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts

Look at the calendar(s) of the local HOG chapters to see if they have rides during the week. The two chapters around me have rides during the week, one of which calls it a "ROMEO" ride. ROMEO stands for Retired Old Members Eating Out, and it's a lot of fun to go on some of those rides. Check it out.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm not a HOG member, but I have a couple of friends who used to ride with the Daytona HOG chapter, but have quit or are inactive because most of their rides were very short. So if riding from Destination Daytona to Flagler Beach, Ormond Beach or Daytona Beach (15 mile rides) is your idea of a good ride, you might want to join that chapter. Some members of Daytona ABATE ride on Thursdays. They leave from the Iron Horse & they put on some serious miles, but they do stop at bars. Of course, you don't have to drink, lol.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

If I am reading your post correctly, and I think I am, my first comment still stands. You mention you are not a bar hopper, your are just starting out after a 40 yr lapse, and are looking for a ride somewhere to eat rides. As you said" I'm not a bar hopper, so it has been out, maybe stop get a bite to eat, and return."

You don't need to be a member of a HOG chapter to join one of their rides, as long as there are more members than guests. Look at the rides posted on a local HOG website, almost all will say whether it is a local ride like you are looking for. Most active chapter also will have longer rides for when you want to get away for a longer period of time.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Sandcrab,

Thanks for both replies. You did read my post correctly and I did investigate my local H.O.G. chapter and have joined even though their calendar of rides is not very interesting as they are mostly on the Weekends and the rides are short distant local to a local attraction or the like. I understand they are having some internal struggles that have been affecting their ride plans. I also understand that most often those that meet often wind up taking an unplanned impromptu ride somewhere. Of course most weekends the SCRC group also rides, so that is not the solution for what I was asking.

Your original mention of the ROMEO rides was very interesting and the kind of group I was/am looking for. Unfortunately, this H.O.G. chapter does not have that kind of weekday rides on their calendar in my area. Maybe when I attend some of their meetings I will be able to suggest that Idea to them.

BTW, what is a Southern Maryland Rider doing hanging around on this "Florida Crew" thread?

Thanks for you comments.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Sandcrab,

Thanks for both replies. ...........

BTW, what is a Southern Maryland Rider doing hanging around on this "Florida Crew" thread?

Thanks for you comments.
It was the title of you post which got my attention, not the location. So I shared what I know we do. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Well, as luck would have it, I met up with a buddy of mine that is still a member at Daytona HOG and mentioned your post. He said 6 years ago the chapter was dynamite. Rode at least once or twice during the week, twice every weekend and the meetings were fun (a fun meeting?). Most of the "Movers & Shakers" from that period have either quit, been kicked out, or not active anymore. He says there are no internal struggles, but problems come from the dealership management, who none of the members like. Hopefully, they will have some good weekday rides for you, if not now, in the near future. Ride safe!

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 04:01 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

I sent my application to the HOG chapter and am planning to make the next meeting. Even if the chapter does not do anyting, maybe I'll meet up with a few of the group that are like me, a Retired Old Man, and we can informally form our own ROMEO group.

Thanks DFB

Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Lone Cabbage
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I’m still working full time so unfortunately I’m not able to ride many weekdays but I do have a house in Ormond by the Sea that we are at most weekends (live in Orlando during the week), so I often ride that east coast area. Maybe we can connect one weekend and go for a ride.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:02 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lone Cabbage
Well I’m still working full time so unfortunately I’m not able to ride many weekdays but I do have a house in Ormond by the Sea that we are at most weekends (live in Orlando during the week), so I often ride that east coast area. Maybe we can connect one weekend and go for a ride.
I would like that. Going to Charlston SC in a cage with my Lady for the weekend...short Vacation. I'll send you a PM with some contact info.

Quick Reply: Any weekday riders in my area