"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

saw the strangest thing today

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 PM
dedjr67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saw the strangest thing today

A customer had their car towed in today for a no crank no start condition after smelling and seeing smoke coming from under the dash and engine compartment. After diagnoseing car I found the ignition switch was burned up and the starter was fried. Installed new switch and starter turn key all I got was a lot of beeps. Found the source of the beeps to be a payment assurance device that the selling dealer installed and it shorted out sending major current thru the system when key was in the off position turning the starter over for what must have been a long time. The sad part is the customer of mine who doesnt have much money had too pay for the new parts and the dealer says it is not his responsability.

Dennis

Last edited by dedjr67; 12-09-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks...

Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dedjr67
A customer had their car towed in today for a no crank no start condition after smelling and seeing smoke coming from under the dash and engine compartment. After diagnoseing car I found the ignition switch was burned up and the starter was fried. Installed new switch and starter turn key all I got was a lot of beeps. Found the source of the beeps to be a payment assurance device that the selling dealer installed and it shorted out sending major current thru the system when key was in the off position turning the starter over for what must have been a long time. The sad part is the customer of mine who doesnt have much money had too pay for the new parts and the dealer says it is not his responsability.

Dennis
Civil court time!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

"payment assurance device "? I'll have to google that one. So, if you don't pay it burns up your starter? Does the re-po man still come, or does the fire dept?
So....when the car is paid off......does the seller call you to come in to have the "payment assurance device" removed?
I don't know......sounds like BS (but I have not searched on "payment assurance device". (used to be a baseball bat).

chuck

Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First I have heard a payment assurance device but I did Google it and sure enough it beeps to let you know you better pay up and not only can they disable the starter but some have a GPS where the repo man knows where to pick the vehicle up. That is some cool ****.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I think if it was my car, I would have you fix it without the payment assurance. Let you box it up so I could carry it back to the dealer. Tell him if he wants it back on the car he needs to pay his bill!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

unreal

Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be taking the car back to the dealer and telling him that the paperwork that I signed is the payment assurance. If that ain't good enough, go get F#CKED.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
JaxHarleyRdr
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wow didn't know these things existed

Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
davescreation
Tourer

the system device works like this , With these buy here pay here places that install them it is set up to where it beeps 24 hrs after your payment is due after the 24 hrs in theory the starter is now disabled. improper installation could have caused the burn up. Most dealers that use this system give a repreive 1 a year . if your car is disabled they will unlock it for an additional 24 hrs so you can make your payment. I myself do not carry these units on the cars i sell. What if your kid cracks his head open and you need to go to the hospital, wifes in labor gotta go to the hospital go outside boom car is disabled kid bleeds to death wife has baby in driveway civil suit to follow Johnny cochran is the other guys lawyer you just lost your house car lot kids college fund and most importantly your scoot

Quick Reply: saw the strangest thing today