"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Stay away from your front brake,

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:57 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stay away from your front brake,

... look where you want to go, and learn the friction zone.

One of my coworkers lives in North Carolina. We have a conference call twice a week to collaborate. About a month ago he was telling me he had just bought a Harley Springer. The selling party was delivering it to him that Saturday. Each time we met I would ask for an update and he was always working on it, changing the fluid ect. I asked him if he rode it yet and he said he was not going to ride it until he took the MC Safety Cource (he had never ridden a MC before).

Last week he told me he was taking the cource that weekend. So I told him when he was on the road cource to remember the above three things. But most importantly... the front brake WILL make you go down.

Monday he cancelled our standing meeting... hmmm.

Yesterday when we met, I asked him how training went and he replied "OK, I guess". He then told me he couldn't finish because he eneded up in the hospital.

When they were doing the stopping exercises between cones, he was ace'ing it. Then they moved onto unexpected stops where the instructor would hold up her hand randomly and you had to stop quick. When it was his turn, he was cocky, and want to stop with as much fanfare as possible. So when she put up her hand he grabbed the front brake, and gave it everything he had.... oops. Leather jacket snagged the foot peg as we went down, pulled the jacket over his head, got road rash, and a broken hand to boot.

Now his plan (once he heals) is to go take the written exam and get his MC learner's permit and learn on his own... maybe not such a good idea.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

VERY BAD ADVICE!!!!!!!

Learn WHEN and HOW to use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjames4xl
VERY BAD ADVICE!!!!!!!

+1

Some have stated, your front brake is 70% of your motorcycle's total braking ability. You may want to forward him the following link:

http://www.examiner.com/article/moto...he-front-brake

Later,

Bocifus

Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, Steve, but I LOVE my front brake. Probably why my rear tire lasts so long!

But for your newb friend, he needs to start with 2 fingers.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjames4xl
VERY BAD ADVICE!!!!!!!

+2 - The front brake exists for a reason, it's knowing when and how to use it.
SoFla, do you remember the conversation I had with you the first time you rode with the Crew around Lake Okee and we were getting ready to ride through a sand parking lot?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Here in NJ I took the MSF course to "qualify" as the riding portion of the DMV practical riding portion of the test. In as much as I had ridden before (off road - mini bikes and trail bikes) it was a great way to get back into the swing of things. The biggest pre-requisite to "allow" someone to take the course was riding a bicycle. If you could ride they would accept you in the program. The course took everyone from how to mount to full operation, in a single weekend.

Now, that being said, virtually EVERYONE who took the course passed! I was absolutely amazed at how low the standards were to be able to pass. With the exception of 2 of us (out of a class of 14) nobody else could execute an emergency stop! Good god! I remember thinking about how many of the class would become doners.

If your friend didn't pass the class, no biggie. If he/she thinks he can learn it on his own they should step back and try to see the whole picture. If a group setting doesn't work for him, get private instruction. Learning the physical operation of the bike is less than 1/2 of what is needed to be safe. Teaching yourself is almost foolish. Not everyone is able to ride. Not everyone is meant to ride.

Going *** over is a tough indoctrination into the world of riding.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

You misunderstood me (rather I was not clear)... my advice was in regards to starting out training. I LOVE my front brake too. I always use the WITH the rear brake. A few years ago, its all I used to stop my bike when a box truck slammed on his brakes on the turnpike and came to a dead stop. I was kicked back, feet on the highway pegs. When it happened all I could do was grab the front brake. Thanks to ABS I stayed in a straight line and stopped a foot behind the truck.

But in training, until you know how to use it, it is not a good idea. My instructor had us keep our right hand hovered over it, but told us in no uncertain terms, NOT to use it. The second day, once we were used to handling the bikes somewhat we were instructed to ALWAYS use it in conjunction with the rear brake.

Front brake GOOD... but to the point, you need to LEARN how to use it.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
+2 - The front brake exists for a reason, it's knowing when and how to use it.
SoFla, do you remember the conversation I had with you the first time you rode with the Crew around Lake Okee and we were getting ready to ride through a sand parking lot?
I remember all that I learned when I first started riding with the crew. By the time you gave me that advice, I had a grand total of about 500 miles under my belt. I've actually learned to ride since that day. Well, we'll see when I ride the dragon next month.

.. and I believe it was you that told me (after the box truck incident) "if you can't see though it, around it, under it, or over it... you don't belong behind it". I stilll hear that in my head everytime I'm behind something I shouldn't be.... so now I kick it up to 90 and pass the sucker.

Last edited by SoFla; 05-02-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Because there are some novice riders that read these forums, the title to stay away from the front brake is so wrong on so many levels that I couldn't let it stand without some remarks.

Just wanted to clear the air, nothing personal.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM
oysterbreath
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned about front brakes while on an oyster shell road racing a mini-bike with my 3-speed English racer bicycle. When I got my first mc (Sears 106), I had already figured out the front brake thing.

Quick Reply: Stay away from your front brake,