Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   The General Motorcycle Forum (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-general-motorcycle-forum-116/)
-   -   who was inspired to ride harleys from outlaw bikers? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-general-motorcycle-forum/201881-who-was-inspired-to-ride-harleys-from-outlaw-bikers.html)

Sam 03-01-2008 03:46 PM

RE: who was inspired to ride harleys from outlaw bikers?

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

OK,,OK,,, that was, a little, ruff......
watchin PeeWee Hermans Big Adventure,,, got me into bikes!!

Given PeeWee's MISadventures....that's really not much better than the first comment[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

fj4069 03-01-2008 03:48 PM

i remember being young and seeing a bunch of 81 oakland cats riding down I-80. thought it was cool as hell. have ridden sportbikes in the past but always remember all those harleys mobbin down the freeway and thinking how fun it looked. well that and all the raping and pillaging too.

whaap 03-01-2008 04:10 PM

LOL. I've been around long enough that they didn't inspire me, I inspired them!!!! My father and his friends were my inspiration. My dad had Harleys before I was born and had them when he died at 86.

coltsfan 03-01-2008 04:14 PM

My father and "Dick the Bruiser" used to ride Harleys when I was a kidand they were big time tough guys, and Stephenwolf and Easy Rider and just growing up in the sixties, and yea,I related to the "Outlaw Bikers" and the vets coming back to the neighborhood more than I did to the "nice guys".

electaRICK 03-01-2008 04:21 PM

"Wildhogs" made me wanna go out and get a sporty!!!

JB 03-01-2008 04:28 PM

When I started riding most people thought you must be some kind of Outlaw if you were riding one of those damm motorcycles, and knew you one if you were one of those long hairs.

BadBoyFLSTC 03-01-2008 04:36 PM

None of the above. I learned to ride when I was 8. I didn't even know any outlaw bikers.

SA315B 03-01-2008 04:38 PM

It started back in the 50.s when I would occasionally see a couple of guys and their old ladies returning from a run to god knows where. They were riding Electra Glides and seemed to be having a good time.

My father wouldn’t hear of me getting a bike and I was too busy with the Army and Vietnam right out of high school to give it much thought. Then, in 1971, I saw a movie called “On Any Sunday.” If you have never seen it you need to join Netflix and order it today.

SportsterBob 03-01-2008 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: JB

When I started riding most people thought you must be some kind of Outlaw if you were riding one of those damm motorcycles, and knew you one if you were one of those long hairs.
Times sure have changed.......Now we sit in this forum waiting for the thaw-out to go ridin'

farns 03-01-2008 04:54 PM

I never "got it" when I was younger - I rode Jap bikes and loved the technical aspect.
63 cylinder nitrogen cooled 9 cam 127 valve 0-light speed in .00007 seconds flat.
I was repulsed by the slow, lumbering Harley's running around. They were few and far between, but they just did nothing for me.
Then I was downtown one day and about 5 bikers (not HA, maybe Outlaws). They made noise, the bikes leaked oil, they were hard starting (they were getting ready to leave our fine city).
1. They did not care who watched
2. They did not care about an oil leak
3. They did not care about how many kicks it took to get itgoing
4.They had EVERY chick onthe main drag watching..

NO ONE saw me on mySuzuki....

The more I watched this Harley-Davidson following thing going on, the more I realized - They were free!
MyJap riding friends thought a bike was a high miler with 20,000miles on it... These guys said it was "barely broken in" and I watchedand noticed many had 80,000+. They did not care about distance - gas, go, drink, camp, eat, drink, go, gas eat, drink, camp....
The UGLIER the biker, the nicer the babe...To this day I still can't figure that one out.

Anywhooooooo, by fate and friendship, I ended up much closer to the outlaw circle than I would have dreamed of. They did it their way and it was cool!

I am NOT an outlaw biker, but I still watch to see who travels through town and still know people who are "connected".