The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who was inspired to ride harleys from outlaw bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 AM
The Prophet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I was a senior in High School in '69 when "Then Came Bronson" came on TV. No one was cooler than Michael Parks in the lead role, and my best friend and I quickly agreed that "this was the life" for us!

Subsitute an old Triumph Daytona for me, and a clapped out Honda CB 400 for the "Seeing Eye" HD Sportster until 1973 when we finished college together and could finally afford 'em, then we rode those Sporties throughout the summer of '73 trying to emulate ol' Bronson. Unfortunately, '73/'74 was a huge recession/unemployment era, so the fantasy of riding around the country, and picking up odd jobs in small towns as you go was ... hopeless?

At any rate, we had a blast, rode all over the place, met a lot of chicks, saw a lot of the USA, and wore snazzy Navy watchcaps just like in the TV Show, thinkin' we were pretty cool. But in the end, it was the beginnings of a lifetime of enjoying riding, etc. Great memories, and many more to come!

Bob

Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My father had a Harley when I was born (1952 panhead, best I recall from what he told me) - I don't remember it, but when I was 5 or 6 we got a free house in the middle of a state park because he was a state trooper and they wanted him to live there when what seemed like hundreds of bikers showed up for a camp-out beer drinking party every summer, about 300 yards from our house. Those are the earliest ones I remember. No idea if they were "outlaws" or club members or whatever. After that, I collected chopper trading cards and biker magazines, chopper models, Evel Kneivel toys, etc., (this is around 1st to 3rd grade). Always wanted a motorcycle and never wanted anything but Harley/Indian cruisers and choppers.

Last edited by brenn; 05-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by SA315B
It started back in the 50.s when I would occasionally see a couple of guys and their old ladies returning from a run to god knows where. They were riding Electra Glides and seemed to be having a good time.

My father wouldn’t hear of me getting a bike and I was too busy with the Army and Vietnam right out of high school to give it much thought. Then, in 1971, I saw a movie called “On Any Sunday.” If you have never seen it you need to join Netflix and order it today.
Very neat movie. Those bikes were tiny back then! Regarding why I started.. I always had mini bikes and motorcycles when I was a kid but when iwas old enough to drive on the road my old man was dead against it so I never got one. Then about 7 years ago my wife and I were walking in our neighborhood and a motorcycle started up. I mentioned that I'd like to get one and my wife surprised me and said that she'd love to get a bike. I had a bike the next day!!! The funny thing is I ride it with the same non stop vigor I had as a young kid on my mini bikes.. I ride until i need gas and then I get gas and head out again. I was logging 30k miles a year the first few years, but now I'm doing just about 20k. I still love riding as much as I did as a kid. Ps.. Fonzy was one of my childhood heros!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad poisoned me at a young age, since then it is all about bikes. As far as Clubs; ride on and ride safe. I think they are what they are, a club. I have no time to dedicate to the club, if I did I might, but passion for bikes comes from being thrown on a little 80 cc when I was 10, after that, I just wanted more. I am not an HD snob, I love all bikes. THey all serve someone a purpose. I prefer my Limited and sporty over anything else, but whatvever floats your boat. I get a little pissed sometimes with the RUB thing and the who is a biker and who is not. If you got time to call someone out for being a poser, rub, or whatwever you got toooo much time on your hands. FOr me it is about bikes, not about anything else. Criminal, doctor, teacher, or whatever POSER, RUB or regular guy I will ride with them all. I dont give a ****.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 PM
TnThunder
Intermediate

I respected the opinion I was given.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Brutus Maximus
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If anyone has read my introduction post, then you know I started on street bikes at a young age. My dad was absolutely to blame for that. I remember when I was really young, he'd give me rides on his Suzuki 1000 in the front yard. He'd let me stretch out over the tank and hold onto the inside of the handlebars. He pretty much had me hooked after that.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only people inspired by outlaws are other outlaws, the bikes are just how they chose to get around I think to say that because an outlaw biker rides a bike is the reason you choose to ride is a little like saying a movie or a song made you fall in love or kill yourself .... Minus some of the morons with no identities of their own and a very weak mind I think this is more often the case . " these aren't the droids your looking for....move along "

Last edited by Joboo1966; 05-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

get yer motor runnin
headin down to starbucks
lookin for some coffee
and maybe a danish eh

yeh darlin
gonna put on the chaps
grab my wallet in a love embrace
fire everyone in my department
and explode into space

I like beer and neon
karaoke singing
racin for a parkin spot
and that delusion that I'm under

yeh darlin
gonna put on the chaps
grab my wallet in a love embrace
fire everyone in my department
and explode into space

Like a true 90's child
we were born
born to be mild
we can charge so high
we'll always be fly
Born to be Mild
Born to be Mild

Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM
FatAndy
Novice

My dad was the first inspiration. He had a bike that looked kinda like the old 70's comic book Ghost Rider bike, long rake and high sissy bar. I remember it had a military type bayonet welded to it, I thought it was the coolest thing. I must have been like 8 or 9 maybe. He used to ride with some other guys, don't know if they were a club or not but they use to come by the house and get really wasted on various illegal substances. I hated seeing them pull up in the driveway. Except one guy who was a Vietnam vet, he was cool. I don't think they were outlaw, more or less potheads that rode motorcycles. I didn't buy my first Harley until I was in my mid 30's tho, and truly as corny as it sounds, I got the bug watching the movie Wild Hogs and just imagined how much fun a road trip on a Harley would be.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

deleted

Last edited by fat_tony; 05-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: who was inspired to ride harleys from outlaw bikers?