The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get into your car if you lock the keys/remote inside.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cell phone. Keyless remote [of any kind]. Different types of signals transmitted at completely different frequencies.

You fail.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Suit yourselves guys, it worked on our cars. You don't have to believe me, we did it.
Yes, I believe you. It worked for me on a 03 Trailblazer, and it was repeated at a far enough distance to know it was no fluke. There are many where this won't work. Snopes is not the almighty know it all.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:56 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Your remote car key operates by sending a weak, encrypted radio signal to a receiver inside the automobile, which in turn activates the door locks.

Since the system works on radio waves, not sound, the only conceivable way a signal from your spare remote could be picked up by one cell phone and relayed to your car's onboard receiver by another would be if both phones were capable of sending and receiving at exactly the same frequency as the remote itself - which they can't be, given that all remote entry devices operate at frequencies between 300 and 500 MHz, while all mobile phones, by law, operate at 800 MHz and higher.

It's apples vs. oranges, in other words. Your cell phone can no more transmit the type of signal needed to unlock a car door than your remote key is capable of dialing up your Aunt Mary ...

Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConnMan
Cell phone. Keyless remote [of any kind]. Different types of signals transmitted at completely different frequencies.

You fail.
I learned a long time ago, never make a "blunt statement." It could come back to bite you in the....

Old 12-19-2008, 06:18 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by Snarly
I learned a long time ago, never make a "blunt statement." It could come back to bite you in the....
Well, then you must be a better student. I've been busy "not living up to my potential", according to my high school teachers...

Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I am Jerry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see it work. Me and my work mates tried it last year and it will NOT work. Well at least on any thing in our parking lot.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421
This is no joke. My wife locked her keys and remote in her car. She called me to ask me to bring her the spare key and remote.

We were talking on cell phones. I grabbed the spare key/remote out of the drawer, held the remote against my cell phone and pressed the open button. At the same time, she held her phone against the car's lock.

It opened!!!!!!!!
How far away from you was your wife's car?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:12 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,222 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
Sorry, I'm callin' BS on this one.

Yes, I've seen it *work* on youtube videos, and how easy would that be to fake?

A local radio show tried it, and it did not work. They tried about 10 cars, and had ZERO success rate.

Maybe someone can snopes this.
I've done it with my OL's Nissan and with some other cars also. Get someone to do it with you it does work. Don't believe everything you hear on the radio.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,222 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird
How far away from you was your wife's car?
When I've tried it I held the phone's earpiece about 2 inches from the door lock area.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on my way to a friend's place once, and I got hungry. All I had was a package of unpopped corn. I called up my daughter and asked her to turn on the microwave and hold the phone up to it.
Next thing I know, the corn started to pop!

Quick Reply: How to get into your car if you lock the keys/remote inside.