The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-hole Road Hogs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM
gsgtrman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-hole Road Hogs

Tell me how you feel about something like this: My wife, friend and myself were out for a ride yesterday, riding along the Delaware River east from East Stroudsburg, Pa. We were not riding excessively fast (around or just above the speed limit), when we came up behind a group of three guys on HD's. They were riding under the speed limit, which was no big deal at first, as I knew a passing lane was coming up in a mile or so. When we got to the passing lane (and by this time these guys had a minor parade following them), two of the three continued in the slow lane, while the third pulls into the passing lane, thereby effectively preventing anyone from passing them. I was looking for a way around these asstards, but as I was the lead of three bikes, I deemed it to be unsafe to just whiz on by them over double yellows while expecting the others to jeopardize their own safety just keep up with me.

I thought that that was a completely inconsiderate and selfish approach to riding. I have always been one to let others by. Not the I ride slowly - I don't. But occassionally a sport bike rider wanting to hit the throttle comes up behind me and I wave him by, at which point they wave thanks and take off. I don't understand the ridiculously self-interested mentality behind this action. I think it sucks that these ******** would not only notice us following them, but then intentionally block everyone behind them from passing (especially considering they weren't even doing the f-cking speed limit!).

This ever happen to anyone else? Don't you just feel like just John-Wayne-bitch-slapping these ********* for their lack of any hint of normal consideration? I thought we were supposed to share the road, not hog it (no pun intended)...

Thanks for the vent.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Dutch110
Tourer

Been there done that. I don't mind people who want to ride their own pace (although below the speed limit is fing stupid in my mind. Never ride in your mirrors.) But c*ck blocking people behind you is retarded. We were down in Daytona riding on 95. Group of Hyabusa riders was merging onto the freeway. Speed limit is 70. Me and my buddies were cruising along around 80 ish. Outside lane is occupied. Middle lane is clear. Busa crew is merging into the right lane from the on ramp. No problem. We are in the middle lane, hammer down. Well one of the Busa Boyz decided he needed to be in the middle lane and parked it dead center. Their whole crew was doing 50 mph in full on race tuck. I passed him in between him and the Four Runner in the left lane. As he was flipping me off my three buddies did the same. When I looked back he was still rolling along in the middle lane. People are stupid and unfortunately there is no cure.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

definately inconsiderate... wow

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

A while back we had a similar situation with a husband & wife each on matching Ultras and wearing matching outfits. One in each lane. I aint kidding that they were running 10mph under the speed limit and had at least 20 cars and bikes stacked up behind them. This went on for a good 5 miles..

Finally they moved into one lane and I aint never seen 2 "bikers" get the finger from so many people at once...

Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 AM
SoALposer
Tourer

I agree that these riders were very inconsiderate and probably broke some law by blocking the lane. If I remember correctly, there is usually a sign that tells the slow folks to stay in the right lane in a designated passing area. As far as not riding the speed limit, well, what part of the word "limit" do we not get? It is not the "you must go this speed" (unless a minimum speed is posted), be patient, your blood pressure and nerves will appreciate it. Blocking NO, bad manners and could cause you harm. Speeding, well, I don't, it is against the law and will cause you grief at some point and maybe harm, your call. Pass me in my lane and you may get bumped, cause I ride ALL OVER my lane for various reasons, it my space and I don't spend a lot of time looking for the idiot that thinks he/she owns that part of the road, specially a fellow biker.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 PM
gsgtrman
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoALposer
I agree that these riders were very inconsiderate and probably broke some law by blocking the lane. If I remember correctly, there is usually a sign that tells the slow folks to stay in the right lane in a designated passing area. As far as not riding the speed limit, well, what part of the word "limit" do we not get? It is not the "you must go this speed" (unless a minimum speed is posted), be patient, your blood pressure and nerves will appreciate it. Blocking NO, bad manners and could cause you harm. Speeding, well, I don't, it is against the law and will cause you grief at some point and maybe harm, your call. Pass me in my lane and you may get bumped, cause I ride ALL OVER my lane for various reasons, it my space and I don't spend a lot of time looking for the idiot that thinks he/she owns that part of the road, specially a fellow biker.
I agree with you regarding the "limit" factor. However, I think if I am in 4th having to downshift to 3rd in a 50mph zone, then someone else is causing at least an inconsiderate, if not potentially dangerous situation - especially with someone who may not be as patient as myself.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Dutch110
Tourer

On some roads in this country driving the speed limit will make you instant road kill. My personal "speed limit" is to at least keep up with traffic if not go 5 mph faster. Do you really want to trust the soccer mom in the mini van putting on her eye liner while updating her facebook and texting her trainer to see you in her lane as she closes on you while going 15 mph faster then you are?

Old 06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dutch110
On some roads in this country driving the speed limit will make you instant road kill. My personal "speed limit" is to at least keep up with traffic if not go 5 mph faster. Do you really want to trust the soccer mom in the mini van putting on her eye liner while updating her facebook and texting her trainer to see you in her lane as she closes on you while going 15 mph faster then you are?
+1, in some instances if you have traffic backed up a bit, you can get a ticket for impeding traffic.

Slow moving vehicles have to travel on our roads too. (tractors /mowers ect). The signs are posted speed limits (fastest speeds). Unless there is a minimum speed posted, anything from 1mph to the posted speed limit is considered legal.

Slow moving vehicles are supposed to pull over every so often (when in a safe place) and let traffic on by.

Hell last year I was riding down a little county black top, and had to stop and wait on a farmer moving cows from one pasture to another. Cows just walking across the county road , out one gate into another.

I see a lot of group riders now, doing some really dumb things. Some of them on or Harley copies, some on sport bikes.

OP did the right thing. Never put your group at risk. Better to just stay back take your time and get there.. Instead of getting in a hurry and pass in a danger zone and get someone hurt or killed.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Inconsiderate, Yes.
Stupid, Yes.
Dangerous, Yes.
Selfish, Yes.

The world is FULL of 'em. It IS about ME!!!!! AND I want you to KNOW it.

And NOW we do !!!!!!! Along with everyone else who was STUCK behind them.

Granted, anything over 1 mph IS LEGAL, but that does NOT translate into SCHMOTT.

In comparison, Momma and I ride relatively slow, she is a 'rookie', and I run one rear drum brake. But you will NEVER see us holding up people. I'll wave you by, the second it is safe for you to roll on thru, or pull over to the side, to let you pass. I WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME, TOO. That ain't gonna happen with you pithed off, right behind me.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM
njdiver
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Inconsiderate, Yes.
Stupid, Yes.
Dangerous, Yes.
Selfish, Yes.

The world is FULL of 'em. It IS about ME!!!!! AND I want you to KNOW it.

And NOW we do !!!!!!! Along with everyone else who was STUCK behind them.

Granted, anything over 1 mph IS LEGAL, but that does NOT translate into SCHMOTT.

In comparison, Momma and I ride relatively slow, she is a 'rookie', and I run one rear drum brake. But you will NEVER see us holding up people. I'll wave you by, the second it is safe for you to roll on thru, or pull over to the side, to let you pass. I WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME, TOO. That ain't gonna happen with you pithed off, right behind me.
The Gump has spoken, you are very wise Grasshopper, now I must go and burn my arms on red hot pots.

Quick Reply: A-hole Road Hogs