The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Arai Profile is what I have for a FF. It's got a "long oval" interior shape for my oblong melon, very comfortable. I've worn it in 90+F temperatures, it's fine. Only thing I don't like about a FF is the limited ability to talk to other riders when stopped at a light...which is why I've been riding with the half since spring.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Sekhemempet
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mi2az
I have a Scorpion Helmet. The only issue I have with mine is with the visor. I can't just crack it open a little bit like I did with my other FF. I have to have a bigger Gap when cracking the visor open.

Now, Scorpion with their newest model, will allow you to open it just a little crack.

I have the EV400, I believe they now have the EV1000.

I find no issue with visibility, noise or anything else. On hot days, if you do crack your visor open, It acts like a scoop and draws more air in.

I don't have the humidity here in AZ, but I do have the heat and I ride everyday all year long. I sold my car and just ride my bike to work. I only been rained on maybe 10-15 times since June of 2006. My commute is 22 miles each way or 45 miles a day.
I hear ya with regards to the heat of AZ. I lived in Phoenix for 4 years. I'll take this SC heat+humidity long before I go through another phx summer! I like your idea of checking to see if the visor cracks a small amount to let more airflow through. I'll keep that in mind when shopping, thanks!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:29 AM
karjar
Advanced

Shoei MultiTec helmet. Convertible full face. And after my incident this fall I believe even more in the phrase "Dress for the fall, not for the ride"

Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Sekhemempet
Advanced

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I began wearing a full face helmet, I actually still have it in a box, in 6/71. While wearing it, after having ridden for years with no or sometimes a 3/4 helmet, I thought there was some vision and hearing loss. And it was hot, especially living here in the desert.

Jump forward a couple of decades and my last couple of full face helmets are totally different. Helmets now are much lighter, the only real vision restriction is that I can't see my gas tank between the gas cap and my crotch without tilting my head. I can however see one side of the helmet when I look as far right, or left, as I can without moving my head. Only 1 side at a time is barely visible, so in effect there is no vision restriction that affects anything meaningful.

A few summers ago I was out riding late one night and stopped in a left turn lane. Just as the green left turn arrow came on, I heard the siren of an ambulance or fire truck. So I sat there until I could determine where it was coming from. The cage behind was impatient, blew his horn a few times, and pulled around me to turn left. Just as he got about even with me, the ambulance appeared from behind us, the cage stopped, and the ambulance went past us. Apparently the cage driver couldn't hear what I heard.

That was to let you know that the full face helmets of today are much better in terms of vision and hearing. And my helmets are cheapos. DOT, but less then $100. Another plus is this. They are still hot while you are stopped at a red light. And we have some killers here in Vegas. But as soon as you are moving there is a cool breeze, even when the temperature is over 100, blowing over the top of your head. And you get a breeze down over your face.

So I open my face shield while stopped at lights and close it as soon as I start rolling. The main thing to consider is this. Whatever anyone's feelings are about wearing a helmet, these feelings only mean anything while the rider is actually wearing a helmet. Any damage to a riders head or face will possibly be there for every second of the rest of a rider's life. I was involved in an accident back in 12/06, that left me sliding on my face(shield) for about 10 feet. The shield was ruined, but my nose survived unscathed.

Again that was with an inexpensive, but DOT, helmet. My advice is to get an inexpensive, but DOT, FF helmet and give it a try. If you approach it without any misconceptions and give it a fair shake, you may like it. And it, hopefully not though, may prove to be a life, or at least quality of life, saver. If not what have you really lost. The price of a few nights out with your lady?

Ron
Glad to hear your nose is still in tacked! That's the main reason I'm looking into switching to a FF helmet. I'm rather fond of my own nose and chin and I'd like to keep them if I ever take a header. *knock on wood* I'm not too worried about dropping a couple bills if it means I get a decent helmet, but I'm not gonna just toss my money out there either. I'll definitely shop around and get the most for my $. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Ride in all the Sun and Heat the Panhandle can toss at me with my Modular Nolan in the full face position is it warm ya when stopped, limit vision no, does it look "stylish" F-no it's a helmet. Would I make fun of someone with a head swollen or jaw ground off from a fall no way since it's their choice mine is to wear a FF.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,218 Likes on 1,284 Posts

I wear FF all the time. I don't buy the limited visibility thing. I don't know that they are hotter than a 3/4 helmet but certainly moreso than a 1/2 helmet.

If you get a FF, get one that has a quick detach visor. I've got an HJC, model CL-SP and like it. The visor snaps on in a second. I wear it when it's raining or really cold. Makes a big difference.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had many Arai's and Shoei's. I currently have one of each, a Quantum and a RF1000. The most important thing is to get the one that fits you properly. Shoei has just come out with a new "long distance touring" helmet, the Qwest. It sounds really nice! You might want to check one out.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?QWEST&h=20&t=1

P. S.- Only on a HD forum would a "Full Face Helmet" thread be in the BS section?

Last edited by mcrider1; 10-07-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an Arai RX7 full face. It has more air vents than a mobile home in a tornado and is really lightweight. The only issue is that without earplugs, there is an annoying whistle when traveling at speed with the shield above half mast. There is absolutely NO vision problems! Like your buddy, I too tried to grind the front off of my last Arai FF on the pavement, so I wouldn't be caught dead riding without it!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a Shoei RF1000 exclusively. I've put 25K on my '10 FLHTK since buying it in Dec '09. I ride all year long, with most of the miles on the interstates. Yes, it gets hot in the summer, especially when stopped. When cruising, there's plenty of air flow to keep your head cool.

I've already had to replace the face shield due to scratching/scarring from road debris. I can just image what my face would look like it all of that had hit me!

The most important thing in buying a FF helmet is fit. Every manufacturer's helmets fit differently. I'd recommend finding a store that has a wide range of helmets, and trying a variety on. Cycle Gear here in Atlanta has a huge selection. My wife originally went with a Shoei RF1000, but after a couple of hours riding, it became uncomfortable to the point of pain. We shopped for a new one, and after trying on many, the Cycle Gear's house brand modular fits her the best. Did a 1000 ride two weekends ago and she was fine the whole way.

After finding the correct fitting helmet, you can always look on line for a better price. IMO, if you've had someone help you for an hour or two with getting a correct fit, you're an *** if you don't buy it from them.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:33 PM
len_atwork
Tourer

The idea of lifting the visor "a crack" is good, and many helmets have the capability, but make sure it stays there at speed. I had one that would shut if I got over about 35MPH. Most times that wasn't a problem, but there were a few times I wished it stayed put.

Make sure you have room for your ears, especially if you wear glasses/sunglasses. That same helmet was fine for the first hour, but then the way it pressed against my ears would start to get painful. It didn't "squeeze", it just pressed on them a tiny bit.

Road and wind noise are also big things to watch for. As you punch through the air some of it is bouncing off your shoulders and straight up to the helmet. How well it handles that will effect your hearing a LOT.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmet?