The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Sekhemempet
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Face Helmet?

Alright, I'm sure there are plenty of helmet related threads here, but here's another.
I've been riding for a few years now, and I've always worn a half helmet. I live in SC, which is a "no helmet required" state, but I always told myself that I'll wear at least a half helmet for safety while still enjoying the breeze. I've always found it comfortable in the southern heat and humidity, so I never really felt the need to go without it. Well, recently a friend of mine found himself involuntarily flying over his handlebars. Fortunately he was wearing a full face helmet because the "chin" part of his helmet took the brunt of the impact with the pavement. This really woke me up with regards to my own helmet choice. Now before everyone starts typing at me, I'm not trying to push an agenda here. I'm in full support of helmet optional lifestyles, and I'm not trying to open that can of worms. But I've decided to invest in a full face helmet myself now that I saw what might happen if I had the same type of accident.

So... to the point of this thread. I was hoping I can get some ideas on what brands and things to look for when I'm shopping. I've heard arguments against full face helmets.. like not being able to hear as well... or visibility is limited... I'm wondering if these are true complaints or just excuses to not wear one. I asked my friend who had the accident about it.. and his best advice was "just try em out and get the one you like"... I'm hoping for more help than that.

any ideas, comments, suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
DynaWide42
Cruiser

I can not stand to wear it when its hot out. However, when it drops below ~45 I wear the full face for xtra wind protection on the face.I ride to work 3rd shift almost year round and it can be really chilly at 6 in the morning. Try a scorpion. If you are going to wear it when its hot, a GOOD ventilated helmet is a must.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Hrdtoget1
Cruiser

I wear the full face on long rides, keeps the wind down and i can ride much faster, ( just as i wear boots on long rides versus tennis shoes ) odds of an accident increase on long rides due to not knowing the roads as well... I wear a bell, its only a 200 dollar helmet that i got for a 100 on ebay, if it gets stolen while parked its not a huge loss...

I've eatin the pavement many times but it wasnt on this bike... I just cruise now so im not worried to much about goin down

Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

I have a bell FF helmet.. I only wear it in the winter when it is real cold.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Scorpion Helmet. The only issue I have with mine is with the visor. I can't just crack it open a little bit like I did with my other FF. I have to have a bigger Gap when cracking the visor open.

Now, Scorpion with their newest model, will allow you to open it just a little crack.

I have the EV400, I believe they now have the EV1000.

I find no issue with visibility, noise or anything else. On hot days, if you do crack your visor open, It acts like a scoop and draws more air in.

I don't have the humidity here in AZ, but I do have the heat and I ride everyday all year long. I sold my car and just ride my bike to work. I only been rained on maybe 10-15 times since June of 2006. My commute is 22 miles each way or 45 miles a day.

Last edited by mi2az; 10-06-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cylcle gear will let you buy a helmet and bring it back if you care to assuming it is in pristine condition. You can also put it on and walk around the store for an hour if you so desire.

Now my observations....

I have over 70,000 miles wearing a full face Shoei RF 1000. It is a fine helmet that is well balanced, well ventilated and (for me) ergonomically correct. I do not feel that my vision is restricted to any meaningful degree. Some of the cheaper helmets get more wind noise but the Shoei is rather quiet.

I also wear this in ALL weather including the 113 degree heat index often found here in Memphis. You get used to it and the FF has other benefits like protection from road debris.

Good luck in the search

R. Todd

Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 498 Likes on 234 Posts

Look at the HJC Symax II. Full face flip up with integrated sun shield. You can flip it up and ride as a 3/4 if it is really hot but I found that the vents work pretty good. I don't see any impact on my vision. Sound is reduced a little but not enough to be an issue. Cost $289 but cheaper than any other convertible helmet I've seen. I have a Shark Evoline Absolute the kids bought me as a gift. Put i on once and found that it is too small for me (it is a size large). It is also a convertible that runs $440 but it is a pretty cool helmet. I'm going to put it on ebay with a starting bid of $250. PM me if you might be interested in it.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shoei Rf100. All the complaints IMHO are just excuses. I hear quite well even over motor noise including the stereo. There is no limited sight and if there is they aren't turning their heads. With respect to hot days I just flip up the visor.

Like they say get the one you want. Try a few out. Good luck with the hunt.

Oh and like they say too.... If you have $2 head get a $2 helmet. I believe in saving $$ too but I also think saving my brain is a good a very good thing!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

I began wearing a full face helmet, I actually still have it in a box, in 6/71. While wearing it, after having ridden for years with no or sometimes a 3/4 helmet, I thought there was some vision and hearing loss. And it was hot, especially living here in the desert.

Jump forward a couple of decades and my last couple of full face helmets are totally different. Helmets now are much lighter, the only real vision restriction is that I can't see my gas tank between the gas cap and my crotch without tilting my head. I can however see one side of the helmet when I look as far right, or left, as I can without moving my head. Only 1 side at a time is barely visible, so in effect there is no vision restriction that affects anything meaningful.

A few summers ago I was out riding late one night and stopped in a left turn lane. Just as the green left turn arrow came on, I heard the siren of an ambulance or fire truck. So I sat there until I could determine where it was coming from. The cage behind was impatient, blew his horn a few times, and pulled around me to turn left. Just as he got about even with me, the ambulance appeared from behind us, the cage stopped, and the ambulance went past us. Apparently the cage driver couldn't hear what I heard.

That was to let you know that the full face helmets of today are much better in terms of vision and hearing. And my helmets are cheapos. DOT, but less then $100. Another plus is this. They are still hot while you are stopped at a red light. And we have some killers here in Vegas. But as soon as you are moving there is a cool breeze, even when the temperature is over 100, blowing over the top of your head. And you get a breeze down over your face.

So I open my face shield while stopped at lights and close it as soon as I start rolling. The main thing to consider is this. Whatever anyone's feelings are about wearing a helmet, these feelings only mean anything while the rider is actually wearing a helmet. Any damage to a riders head or face will possibly be there for every second of the rest of a rider's life. I was involved in an accident back in 12/06, that left me sliding on my face(shield) for about 10 feet. The shield was ruined, but my nose survived unscathed.

Again that was with an inexpensive, but DOT, helmet. My advice is to get an inexpensive, but DOT, FF helmet and give it a try. If you approach it without any misconceptions and give it a fair shake, you may like it. And it, hopefully not though, may prove to be a life, or at least quality of life, saver. If not what have you really lost. The price of a few nights out with your lady?

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-06-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

You'll be back to the half-shell after wearing that heavy, bulky thing for a week...

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmet?