The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Close Call

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
streetglidetroy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason for this whole post is why i dont have a carry n conceal permit and weapon, id probably use it on people

Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM
crasha51pan
Cruiser

A quick comment,
Most here warn about the driver who is on the cell, thinkin' about what he is gonna have for breakfast, late for a meeting, or just had a fight with his wife. All are true and dangerious...BUT...I have seen no mention of the few who are out there intentionally tryin' to do you harm.
There are those who "want" to hurt you. No matter how careful you are, no matter how vigilant you try to be, you can't protect yourself from these killers. They will wait, they will watch, and look you right in the face as they pull out...
For these, there is nothing you can do. They are part of the lifestyle..
I have seen it, have been a part of it, and once you realize that they are out there, it changes everything !

Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,016 Posts

I am glad you made it through there with no injuries

Old 02-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by crasha51pan
There are those who "want" to hurt you. No matter how careful you are, no matter how vigilant you try to be, you can't protect yourself from these killers. They will wait, they will watch, and look you right in the face as they pull out...
Second that. I'd had beer bottles tossed out of windows at me, and even had a guy in a pickup truck that missed me stop and try it again in reverse. Never trust anyone with more wheels than you. Fortunately, they're pretty rare, and most riders never encounter one. Years ago, one of them made a bad mistake; he didn't realize the rider he ran down was a cop. They caught him real quick. Murder one, the idiot did it in front of witnesses.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
cikos1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Imold
Second that. I'd had beer bottles tossed out of windows at me, and even had a guy in a pickup truck that missed me stop and try it again in reverse. Never trust anyone with more wheels than you. Fortunately, they're pretty rare, and most riders never encounter one. Years ago, one of them made a bad mistake; he didn't realize the rider he ran down was a cop. They caught him real quick. Murder one, the idiot did it in front of witnesses.

Jesus! People are F***ed up! I've been trying to keep my eyes out on people and their lack of driving skills.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Sorry to tell you this but, it can be a good day if only two or three poeple try to kill you.
I always thought it was a great day when someone tried to kill me - and failed. Although sometimes I wasn't too cheerful while they were doing it...

Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by revitonup
I agree with the keep it in first gear at stop lights, the rear view mirror at those is almost as nerve racking as when you are moving. I was rear ended at a stop light just as the light turned green and was letting off the clutch. That was back in my hondadavidson days. I never knew that bike could accelerate as fast as it did that day. Luckily she was only going about 10 mph when she hit me and not the speed limit.
Pretty much exactly that happened to me about 2 weeks ago. She was behind me at a roundabout (traffic circle?). She assumed I was going, looked right at the oncoming traffic (remember this is the UK) and pulled forward without looking forward again. Thumped into the back of my bike and catapulted me about 15 feet onto the roundabout. If there had been traffic coming it could have been a LOT worse. I got away with a slight ding on the rear fender, a slightly bent indicator light stalk and the rear chrome doodad on the fender doesn't fit quite as snugly as it used to.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I was on 15 coming out of LA back to Vegas last week and a lady in a white SUV drifted over on me while texting. It was a slow drift so I just reached over and knocked on her window. She quit texting then.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
dpatsack
1st Gear

Same happened to me. Truck went through red light hit the car beside me. I was lucky this time

Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cikos1
Just started riding, and while riding down PCH in California, almost got side swipped by a lady driving a Mercedes not watching where she's going. Got a little angry and yelled at her, all she did was roll up her window.
If you haven't been down,you haven't been riding.Just the nature of the beast.

Quick Reply: My First Close Call