"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Confession of STUPIDITY...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

Glad to hear that you and your wife are okay...that was definitely very cool of the firefighter to have your back. Yup, alcohol does effect your reflexes and judgement, even if you're feeling okay.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM
FLAHOG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that you and the wife are ok, and hope both of you heal quickly. It does take a lot courage to admit to your mistake. Glad the Firefighter helped you to avoid any more unecessary pain or problems. Hope everyone who has read your experience has learned a valuable lesson from it. Good luck and a speedy recovery to both of you.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default +1 no drinks!

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
Sorry you had to learn the hard way, but the no drinks on two wheels rule is a good one. Glad you survived, many don't.
I always rode with a no drinks rule up till a few years ago. I don't know why but I had a "tall" beer with dinner one night out and didn't like the feel of the 15 minute ride back home after. NEVER AGAIN!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM
donarocks
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“The difference between school and life? In school, you’re taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.” — Tom Bodett

We're so very thankful that you're both ok Beav. (or on the mend at least) It takes a special kind of person to tell this story publically. Hats off to you for being man enough to own your lapse in judgement. I doubt there's a single reader who hasn't made the same mistake that you did, but most have escaped the consequences so far.. Big hugs to you and Kari, and feel better soon !! Hope to see you Saturday.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another thought I wanted to share is relevant to what we learn.

Back in the 15th century the Dutch became the dominant quality shipbuilders of the world. Their apprentices were not taught one thing about the mechanical skills of their trade. Instead, they were taught to love the sea. They were taught the risks and rewards of being in an ocean that didn't care that a vessel was there. They had teamwork and pride demonstrated on every shift. As a result, the most seaworthy ships evolved and thrived for hundreds of years.

Our motorcycle is typically not something we have built and we have varying success with comprehending the physics and manual dexterity to steer and shift. But as we absorb the essence of what we get out of riding a motorcycle, I believe much more is at hand.

Like those Dutch apprentices of days ago, I think it best to learn to love the bigger picture. One of lifestyle, brotherhood, zest and zeal for life. I think when folks share their feelings more than their opinions we get a clearer image of the bonds that wrap our soul to our machine, a handshake to one another, a commitment to succeed and a drive to survive.

I am proud to make new friendships here on the forum, I am enthusiastic about roads not yet traveled. An image, an attitude, a lifestyle.

As they say..."Four wheels moves the body......Two wheels moves the soul".

Last edited by PoorBoy; 09-22-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting and being so honest. Hopefully others will learn from it and avoid having to learn the hard way.

I'll just add that I don't think you should take all the blame on yourself.
I didn't read anywhere your wife saying;
"We've got the bike, we shouldn't drink, or
"Let's go now, we've shared a bottle", or
"Let's take the bike to the cabin and walk back."
Plus she chose to get on with you when she'd had a drink.

Ether way, glad the outcome wasn't worse and you're both on the mend.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You really were extremely lucky to have run into that recently groomed embankment. Way better than plunging down a steep slope with trees and rocks galore up there. Glad you are both reasonably okay. Certainly reaffirms that life's best lessons are usually the hardest, but then again, your story could have had a much, much worse ending. Hope you both have a speedy recovery.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Nick
I'll just add that I don't think you should take all the blame on yourself.

Nick, I respectfully disagree with your viewpoint.

The front seat of a motorcycle is the the functional equivalent of the
left seat in an airplane cockpit, where the "pilot-in-command" sits.

ALL responsibility for a safe ride, or flight, rests with the "pilot-in-command", period.

Beav gets full credit, and my respect, for understanding this fundamental principle.

In my 49 years as a biker, and 31 years as a pilot, I have never
expected a passenger to tell me how to safely operate my machine.

My prayers go out to Beav and his wife for a speedy recovery,
and hopefully a lesson well learned.

Bob-

Last edited by Bob; 09-22-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, Great post. Sorry about your mishap but it is the "nature of the beast" so to speak with motorcycles. Bad things happen on them. Trust me when I say that I know first hand just how bad they can bite. I have also adopted the no drinking rule since the big one even though I got away with it for over 30 years.

Hope that you and yours recover quickly and just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I bet you will never do what ever it was that you did again. Ride Safe.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sorry for your temporary lapse in reason.. very happy it wasn't much worse. I do believe someone was watchin over you that night, and not just the fire fighter coverin you with the sheriff's department either! The dislodging of the stone is just your penance. Sounds like you've not only passed on a great lesson to all that will listen, but learned from it as well. All my best to you and your wife for a healthy and speedy recovery...

Quick Reply: Confession of STUPIDITY...