"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Note to self....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Note to self....

.....when you take a new passenger for a ride, be sure to tell them to wait until you are ready for them to get off or you'll be picking the bike up off the pavement. Just sayin'.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 PM
blueyz0416
Now with God. Love you baby... -Wiz

bummer, lesson learned the hard way. no dings i hope

Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blueyz0416
bummer, lesson learned the hard way. no dings i hope
No, it was a very slow and soft landing.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats why anytime someone gets on and off my bike ( wife and daughter) I told them before the 1st ride to let me know when they were ready to get on, they ask me, then I told them I would tell them when Iwas ready for them to get off!

They both wait everytime!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by horseplay
Thats why anytime someone gets on and off my bike ( wife and daughter) I told them before the 1st ride to let me know when they were ready to get on, they ask me, then I told them I would tell them when Iwas ready for them to get off!

They both wait everytime!
Oh yeah, that's certainly been happening since. Ol' Roxy is playing taxi today.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to read that, Michael. Glad no one was hurt (#1!) and nothing was damaged (#2!)... except maybe a tiny bruise to the old ego! Hey, we've probably ALL done it at one point or another...

I got to the top of my neighborhood on the Honey Badger about 3-4 months ago, after returning home to get my wallet or something. Mary was waiting for my down the road. There was a car coming from my left, and I very stupidly wasn't prepared to do a full stop. Well, as I hit the brakes, the bike started coming over on the left side, and I couldn't hold it. I laid it down VERY GENTLY, the Lean Angle Sensor tripped and shut it off, and I stepped off and stared at it for about 10-15 seconds, wondering how the H*** I was going to lift the 900 lb thing UP again.

Took a DEEP breath and somehow wrenched it up and got the kickstand down. I was VERY concerned about the bike falling over the other side. I've read stories about that, and I really wasn't in the mood to buy a new CVO saddlebag!

Lesson learned, huh?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Yeah, it caught me off guard so I wasn't prepared at all. It starts going over and I'm thinking wt*???? It went over on the right side so at least I had the kickstand to catch it if I went too far the other way. No biggie. Soft landing, easy to pick up. Like you said, a little ego bruise.

Laying over your bike I would have freaked a bit. I knew my bars would catch it so I didn't strain trying to catch it, just let her down easy.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,433 Likes on 1,551 Posts

That's why I drive a trike now - after her stroke my wife was a danger to both of us. Ever have someone try to get off a bike during the middle of a turn because of the lean? Scared the crap out of me. At least now she's trapped in the back seat and the turns don't bother her.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Frostbite
That's why I drive a trike now - after her stroke my wife was a danger to both of us. Ever have someone try to get off a bike during the middle of a turn because of the lean? Scared the crap out of me. At least now she's trapped in the back seat and the turns don't bother her.
You win the 'Gotta change my shorts' award! That would have been very scary!

Last edited by Michael HD Rider; 04-02-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Frostbite - welcome! Thanks for dropping by the GA Crew forum! Great group of folks here. You're a might far away to be a "regular" on our rides - but you're welcome any time you're in these parts.

My wife, NorthGeorgiaButterfly, just got a TG in December for reasons similar to yours. Thankfully no stroke to deal with - but she just wasn't comfortable on the old 900 lb '95 FLHTP - especially in corners, U-turns, stop lights with uphills or downhills, weird-**** parking lot entrances, etc. So we got her the TG in December... and now she's LIVIN' LARGE and LOVIN' RIDIN' again!

We wish you and your wife all the best!

NorthGeorgiaHawg
"Offyshul GA Crew Welkummer"

Quick Reply: Note to self....