The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

PA License for permit

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Gregarian
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA License for permit

I amin PA, licensed for 20 years, and have been hearing more and more chatter regarding the test an applicant must now take in order to obtain their learner's permit. The test includes topics that are not covered in the learner's manual, and some even contradict the manual. I have heard of some failing more than 7 times!! The state is making it nearly impossible for a new rider to obtain their license, which I feel to be an infridgement on ones right to ride. I have no problem with a test being administered, but it needs to be based on information avaialble to the individual being tested, i.e a manual to study prior to taking the test.
Anyone else out there having this problem?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: PA License for permit

In Illinois the driving test (on a parking lot course) is so difficult to complete on a Harley most riders rent a 250 Honda Rebel to take it. You can't make the corners unless you are one of those "Ride Like A Pro" guys on the DVD. One good thing about Illinois, we've fought for years and have kept the helmet laws out of this state. There is no helmet law at all for any age group. I've never been stopped for loud pipes either. It still doesn't make it worth living in the cold Illinios winters.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:07 AM
kingfisch
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Try looking for PAMSP.com. It is a MSF course available to PA residents free of charge. The "permit" is a brief test and paperwork. With the permit, you take the MSF course.It took up four weekday eveningstwo saturdays if I remember correctly.At the end of the course you are licensed! This is the MSF BRC. This course is for beginner riders, but, anybody can take it. I took this course two years ago to assure my wife AND myself that a motorcycle was still within my skillset after a 32 year absence from the sport. I'm 56 and my wife is 53. In two years I have yet to solo "my" Heritage. The wife can't ride enough! She had never ridden before. GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Gregarian
Advanced

The "brief" permit test is the problem. The test they are giving is the same old test to get the license!! And you can't take the rider's course without a permit. You are free to come back the next day and try again...

[IMG]local://upfiles/54901/63600E6053304F009941EE24C958AC0D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 10:51 PM
kingfisch
Cruiser

Nice Bike!

I can understand your frustration about this test crap. My case was different. I had a valid MC endorsement from 1968-2006 so I didn't need to go thru the permit process. I took the BRC to evaluate my skill level. I am pleased that I took this course because all my skills were self taught. It opened my eyes that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. My experiences have little or nothing to do with your situation.

I looked up PAMSP.com. They have a large section about the BRC. In this section they have a link (Adobe pdf) to the course manual that is the basis for the BRC test. It is truly DIRT SIMPLE! If you take the BRC, they provide the bikes (250cc putt-putts). The course is geared toward folks who have never ridden before. Yes, parts of it will bore you to distraction. I never knew I would need to learn how to "duck-walk" a bike. The BRC taught me a valuable skill!

Seriously, it's a minor PITA. the permit "tests" are given on touchscreen monitors. The process takes less tan 1/2 hr. Good Luck!!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
real7jake
Tourer

After riding on my permit in PA for about 4 years, I was finally coerced into taking the permit test when they changed the rules about 2 years back. I failed the first try, but passed 100% the second try. The better half just passed her permit test on the first run about a month ago. Either way, I think if someone reads the materials, they shouldn't have too much trouble.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:31 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the knowledge provided what you were after? You should now be all set, good luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Gregarian
Advanced

The guy who was taking the test passed today, on the third try. All guesswork, questions from the previously failed tests could not even be answered by the administer of the test, even with manual in hand!!
I guess new riders beware, prepare to go back a few times!!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gregarian

The guy who was taking the test passed today, on the third try. All guesswork, questions from the previously failed tests could not even be answered by the administer of the test, even with manual in hand!!
I guess new riders beware, prepare to go back a few times!!
Is there anyway that you can challenge the test? Something smells fishy here. I have looked online to see if I can find anyone else having the same issues and I am not finding squat. You may want to contact your local MSF or ABATE and ask these questions.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 PM
kingfisch
Cruiser

Glad to hear that your friend passed the test.

I would like to present a counterpoint. Your original post suggested to me, that, when PA changed their licenseing standards (1/1/06) to require testing to obtain a MC permit it is infringing a riders rights. Part of me would readily agree with you based on my disdain for increasing govt. intrusion. The other part of me accepts the changes. This MC sport, life style, obsession or however any of us views it is full of risk. We volunteer to take these risks realizing that by getting a "license" we are paying for a privilige. I see this as thing as beneficial in the long run. I would think that testing for a permit would weed out some who shouldn't even consider a MC. Those that pass (even with multiple tries) would be better cantidates for whatever MC training they go for. Better trained riders are usually safer riders. I know all too well that MC training is a never ending process.

This whole thing is an issue of education (or lack thereof). A common theme that surrounds us is a "dumbing down" of many facets of our lives. I can hope that this raising standards for MC riders goes beyond political puffery. It wouldn't surprise me a bit that there was a heavy involvement by the Insurance industry. It's easy to pick on a "minority" which is exactly where we fall. Given the political climate in PA it may be time for our "minority" to assert ourselves. What might happen if raising the bar for all vehicle licenses required a segment of "Motor Cycle Awareness" as a condition of obtaining a license? Yeah right, never happen. Be stepping on too many toes!

Quick Reply: PA License for permit