Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoothed Tour Pack

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:27 PM
whittaker727
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smoothed Tour Pack

After doing a thread search with no luck, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has done or has any info on pulling the luggage rack off of the HD tour pack lid. If so, do you have pics? What did you use to fill the holes where the luggage rack bolted to the lid? I also want delete the antennas since I listen to XM or my iPod. Do people just use a castle nut or is there someone that sells a stud cover for the antennas?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I am going to be removing a rack from a tour pak lid soon. The tour pack is after market, the rack is HD oem and I want to put in on my new Ultra. Ace Hardware sells small plastic plugs and I am just going to use those and silicone on the backside. I'll just make someone a good deal on the TP cause the rack has been removed.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you do not mind paying you can get the plastic holes filled and primed. This way you can not tell holes were ever there. I had it done a few years ago. I think the cost was around $150 filling and repaint. you could not tell where the holes were when they got done. Just don't be in a rush. Do it when their business is slow.

I am referring to plastic welding.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

When I removed my wrap around back rest I used button head bolts, and touched them in with touch up paint.

When I removed my fairing mount mirrors I filled them with fiberglass and bondo, primed,and painted.

The later is the best way to go if you never want to put it back on.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
whittaker727
Cruiser

I've heard of plastic welding, just never seen it done. I'll have to check into it. Either that or buy another tour pack lid, but that would be outrageous by the time it was painted

Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a bit a chrome acorn nut theme going with my 09 FLHP so I used them on the T Pak as well. This is a shot of the area where the wrap around back rest would have been mounted...I have replaced it with the chopped back rest and needed to cover the holes. When I pull the luggage rack off of the top I use 4 of the acorn nuts there too.

I did see at one time a shop that had some nice chrome spears that mounted in the holes left by the removed luggage rack. I think they were about $70. The looked nice however I wasn't willing to pay that much. I looked but could not find the link...maybe someone else knows what I am referring to.

EDIT: Google is powerful...a search on "tour pack chrome spears" revealed this. I do seem to recall a version that were specifically made for the T Pak removal that bolted into the existing holes...this kit appears to be stick on which makes it difficult to get the rack back on.

And when the luggage rack is removed:

Last edited by ReidRik_Von; 10-15-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

Your dealer has the plug holes for the antennas.
As far as removing the rack goes you can find hole plugs at Lowes or similar for next to nothing, very cheap.

Notice the black dots, rubber plugs.
That way if I really wanted to use the rack that I still have I could.
It looks much cleaner with out it though.

Last edited by lionsm13; 10-15-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 AM
whittaker727
Cruiser

I like the low pro look of the plugs. I agree, it looks much cleaner without the rack. Thanks for the pictures.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There was a time...

When almost all bikers did their own work. From there, is where all these custom paint/mod schemes came from. I think it is a shame that not many people are willing to risk a little time to experiment. Such a shame to lose that so easily...

Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I had to drill my tour pack to put the rack on.

Quick Reply: Smoothed Tour Pack