Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use this Long Ride Shield? The Windblade.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone use this Long Ride Shield? The Windblade.

I broke my recurve Long Ride Shield yesterday (no bitch to LRS, it was my fault) putting it back on. The small "ear" broke off the right side as I was fitting it back on my bike. So I'm in the market for a new one. I think LRS has a sale from time to time so I'll watch for one before I order a replacement.

I had a standard recurve shield and it was fine but it still had a little buffeting. But looking at their web site I see they have a new Windblade shield.

http://www.longrideshields.com/product_p/sku179999.htm

I'd appreciate any input from folks that bought the Windblade. How does it compare to the regular recurve shield? Buffeting better, or worse?

Thanks, guys

David

Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 AM
shagnasty
Road Master

Looks alot like my Klockwerks.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Have no experience with this shield but I previously had a lexan recurve from LRS and it cracked very easily. I, personally, would not buy any windshield that is not made from polycarbonate regardless of what all the fanboys say.

If you are getting buffeting with a recurve you may just need to add an inch or 2 in height. I run a 7" recurve from FastAire and have no buffeting. 5'6" and also have the fairing side deflectors and can still look over the top no problem (dark smoked tint). Both together pretty much stop any buffeting. If taller just go taller with the shield.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 PM
RaceRadio
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one and I love it. It virtually solved my buffeting problem. I didn't make it go away all together, but it has made my 2011 Limited a pleasure to ride at higher speeds...and I've tried several different combinations to manage buffeting. I went from and 8.5 Klock Werks with Harley fork mounted wind deflectors (fangs) to a 10 inch Windblade by itself. The Klock Werks/fangs combo was great. The Windblade alone is better.

I just got back this week from a 2,400-mile trip, and was very happy I went with this shield. I went through everything from hot to cold, dry to rain, and calm to windy, and the Windblade was the right choice. The only small issue was in the rain. I wear a full-face helmet, and it did such a good job of flowing air over my helmet, that there wasn't enough wind to blow the water off of my face shield. I had to move my head to the side when I wanted to blow the water off. That said, when it was dry I was able to ride a highway speeds with my face shield up.

Also, I'm 5'9" and have no problem seeing over the shield when going down the road. I did get the medium tint so I wouldn't have a problem seeing through it at night when I need to look right in front of my bike. There is a small amount of distortion from the curve, but not as much as on the Klock Werks.

If Long Ride Shields decides to make a polycarbonate version of this shield, I will upgrade.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:41 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to go back with a Fast Aire recurved. I'm a little bummed that the ear broke off my Long Ride Shield so easily. If it's that brittle, what if a rock hits it?

Ride Safe

David

Old 10-16-2014, 10:50 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My Recurve LRS is cracked already in several places after 2 years. I'll also not buy a Lexan type shield again.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Think they are having a sale right NOW!

Here is a 25% discount code for Long Ride Shields. Not sure how long it is good for.
FAIRING25

Old 10-16-2014, 03:51 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Think they are having a sale right NOW!

Here is a 25% discount code for Long Ride Shields. Not sure how long it is good for.
FAIRING25
Thanks, but I've decided to pass on the LRS. That is a good price though.

David

Old 10-16-2014, 04:39 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at freedom shields. Great quality and very thick you will not break that one

Old 10-16-2014, 06:43 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by vtwinbmx
Look at freedom shields. Great quality and very thick you will not break that one
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Quick Reply: Anyone use this Long Ride Shield? The Windblade.