Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe another option for pump on air ride suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:34 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Maybe another option for pump on air ride suspension?

I'm doing all homework on parts to put together my air ride suspension on my 09 Street Glide and came across this piece that incorporate the pump, dump valve, gauge and switches. I wanted to get opinions from those who have done their own air ride. I think in the end it this will be few bucks cheaper but that really doesn't make that much of a difference to me. The ease of installation and mounting is what looks very promising. I could mount the controls on the frame tube in front of the fuse box cover or cut the plate for just the gauge and move the switches up to the dash area. I also though I could encase the unit in a thick plastic bag with a few vent holes so it doesn't get totally wet if you get caught in the rain nor over heat. I plan on putting it in the normal spot opposite of the fuse box in the open area behind the right cover. I did a search of the entire HDForums and didn't come up with anything. Lay your thoughts on me!

Amazon.com: AIR LIFT 25804 Air Shock Controller Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: AIR LIFT 25804 Air Shock Controller Kit: Automotive

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 01-20-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:49 AM
meangreen02
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would worry about the 100 psi working preasure? One of the reviews state 0-120 in 55 sec. that is pretty pathetic, I can fill in less that 15! Your bike, but I would spend a little more on a better compressor!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:11 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Didn't see that one and 55 seconds is terrible. I looked at a Youtube video of a VW bug and it looked like it pushed the front end up quick enough. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 AM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a very interesting concept. Have to keep in mind that nearly all the reviews were based on automotive applications that would require both a higher psi as well as volume of air as compared to a bike. Not sure of the requirements of after market air suspension systems but on the stock air shocks of the Ultra, a very small volume is required to change the psi a few pounds. Will be watching the responses on this one...

Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Product dimensions: 12&1/2 x 6 x 8 inches. You're gonna put it where?

Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Product dimensions: 12&1/2 x 6 x 8 inches. You're gonna put it where?
I looked at that also late last night and don't know exactly how much room I have behind the right side panel (opposite of the fuse panel). My bike is in storage otherwise I would check. My fairing is full of audio equipment and don't want to give up bag space.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

I could always modify this air pump I have.

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 01-25-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

I just called the Air Ride company and they said those dimension were for the box. There is a new style of compressor and it is 5Wx6Lx4H not including the mounting tabs. Here is a picture of that one.

I'm going to verify with a couple of the companies on Amazon if they have the old style and what the dimensions are as the old looks smaller. I just want to have all the correct info for everyone.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 244 Likes on 194 Posts

I installed Air Ride on my wife's 08 UC with the remote to adjust it on the fly with air gauge in the fairing but she complaining about harsh ride after 1300 miles over the last weekend. I had everything installed in the right side cover since bike doesn't have ABS it doesn't look much that area has lots room for all the stuff. But it's coming off looks great in the parking lot but not comfortable at 85 MPH.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
I installed Air Ride on my wife's 08 UC with the remote to adjust it on the fly with air gauge in the fairing but she complaining about harsh ride after 1300 miles over the last weekend. I had everything installed in the right side cover since bike doesn't have ABS it doesn't look much that area has lots room for all the stuff. But it's coming off looks great in the parking lot but not comfortable at 85 MPH.
Are you talking air ride suspension in general or this unit that I'm talking about? If the unit, I don't how that would affect anything as it's just a pump.

Quick Reply: Maybe another option for pump on air ride suspension?