Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too worn out to trade up

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM
N2VSW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too worn out to trade up

I couldnt think of a better title but I'm referring to myself and not the bike. I purchased a 08 Ultra and it's been a blast. It's been as reliable as any other metric bike I've owned (this is my first Harley) Me and the misses have done some 2500 mile road trips and we plan on doing some more. The bike has 14k miles on it and it's been paid for since 2011. I occasionally stop in to the local dealer for a t-shirt or two and browse the new bikes. I have to admit the new bikes are nice. The radio they have with the touch screen is nice and they have some nice colors. Would I like a nice new bike? sure Can I afford it, yes I can. I come home and tell the wifey and she says why don't you buy one if you really like it. Like the title says, I'm just too worn out to go through the whole upgrade process all over again. It seems you bring home the bike and the first thing you throw away are those Honda sounding mufflers. The air cleaner, fuel management and cams are next. That's $1500 right there and thats me wrenching on the bike. I can't begin to tell you the things I've changed on the bike simply to upgrade some of the crappy components that come with the bike when new. Am I the only one that is too tired to go through the "upgrade" process all over again?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:56 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I suppose a guy has to do what he feels is best. Life is short and you only pass through once.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Yup feel the same way....got my RK the way i want it and not selling it or traing it.....but i am looking to purchase a new Indian....just because I can.
Life is short and i am not leaving my kids my cash they can have my insurance money instead.
Enjoying life to the fullest.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Near as I can determine we only get one bite at the apple. Life is a journey, and then we croak. If you can afford it, do what you desire.
Ride more, worry less.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same thought process with my 2009 RG. I had the bike where I wanted it, but it was getting worn out (not me). The bike had nearly 90K miles on it, and I have so many other projects going right now I just did not want to mess with doing any work on it. The wife and I do long rides on the weekends 500-600 miles and the thought of being left on the side of the road was on my mind every time we left. The bike never gave me a bit of problems, it did not use or leak oil, but I still kept thinking it could. If I were in your position with a low mileage ride, I would still be riding my 09. I will say, the new RK has been fun to ride so far. I am just trying to keep from putting as much into the bike this time around.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts
Default No desire for new bike

Op,

Agree with you. I look, think yes would be nice, too much $Hit to change. I will just keep riding my 12 CVO road glide with my modified 120R Or my best bike an 04 road glide with over 160k on the clock that has NEVER left me stranded.

I dont need an infotainment system, rarely use GPS, figure if im lost someone will tell me where to go (lol ) or i can gps on my handheld. I rarely pump more than 5 gallons of fuel at a time even when i'm riding an iron butt or out on a afternoon jaunt.

Yup, call me old, fugly or afraid of change. I just dont care. Mine are paid for, they are my style and will only be replaced if events beyond my control force me to consider a different bike.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
D4691
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am currently going through the process. Bike (15rgs) is getting delivered tomorrow hopefully. I already received my stage 1 and other stuff. I'm also currently selling the aftermarket stuff I had on my 13 street glide that I took off before I traded it in.. But I feel you're pain. I plan on having this bike for a long time.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:38 PM
N2VSW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've actually thought about a second scoot for the single riding, around town jaunts. The sportster fits the price point. I just don't know how that will feel after being on a touring bike. I hate to spend the money and find it's too small and never gets used.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new bike is always an individual's call. I can only tell you that I decided to buy my '14 Road King in part because of some recent medical concerns. I had my doubts but I really wanted the bike and I was glad I did it.
A few months later a much larger medical concern came up which may put an end to riding in the not to distant future.
Should I have bought the bike? In my opinion yes, I may end up having to sell it at some point but I'm awfully pleased to have it now. As others have pointed out, you only go through life once and best to do what pleases you as long as its affordable.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,609 Posts

OP-

I know exactly what you're going through.
I (we) have four bikes, and all of them are now set-up exactly as we want them (well, nearly).

My last "road bike" was a 2000 Ultra that I kept 13 years and I kept updating it until almost the day I sold it!

My new "road bike" is a '13 CVO Ultra and I think it will probably be the last two-wheeler that I will buy.

My wife also rides but she's been having knee problems so if the time comes where she can no longer ride, there may be a Tri-Glide in our future.

If you want a new bike and you can afford it (and your wife agrees) GO FOR IT.
Most dealerships will usually give you a deal on accessories/installation so consider getting them installed on the bike before you take delivery..no muss, no fuss!

Quick Reply: Too worn out to trade up