Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Cam Bearing removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:59 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Inner Cam Bearing removal?

For those who have used a slide hammer to remove inner cam bearings, how difficult was it removing the bearings. I used it in my 99 glide but the bearings in my 10 glide don't seem to be moving. I know everyone's going to say don't do it, use the tool that I don't have or feel like waiting on.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:04 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure you aren't hooked on the inside of the case instead of the inside of the bearing. Should come right out....

Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain

That's what I am thinking, I'll give it another try once the garage warms a bit.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

I remember the inner cam bearings on my 2010 were stuck in there pretty good. I actually hit them with some heat first to help loosen things up a touch. After that, they pulled right out. I was using the Heartland tool though, not a slide hammer.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:57 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd be worried about the haste and then make waste of the inner bearing and it falls apart into the engine. Proper tools and a lil bit of time might be a better way to go. Probably less frustrating too. Good luck.

Batman

Old 03-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

It only takes 1 needle falling out of your old bearings to ruin your riding season.....

There seems to be alot of confusion about the need to change these bearings. May be best to keep the old bearings. They have basically the same load limit and greater RPM capacity.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:33 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,735 Likes on 1,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
It only takes 1 needle falling out of your old bearings to ruin your riding season.....

There seems to be alot of confusion about the need to change these bearings. May be best to keep the old bearings. They have basically the same load limit and greater RPM capacity.
The OEM caged rollers that they come with are a known failure item.
The Tinkins are much better bearings. If you're already in there, it makes sense to change them.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Bmusg
Tourer

Originally Posted by 77Tulsa
For those who have used a slide hammer to remove inner cam bearings, how difficult was it removing the bearings. I used it in my 99 glide but the bearings in my 10 glide don't seem to be moving. I know everyone's going to say don't do it, use the tool that I don't have or feel like waiting on.
Mine came out pretty hard with the actual Heartland puller ($100 on ebay). If it didn't pop right out, I would go for the puller.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
The OEM caged rollers that they come with are a known failure item.
The Tinkins are much better bearings. If you're already in there, it makes sense to change them.
Hell guys, nearly everything on my Harley is a "known failure item" when you start reading through all the various forum threads.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

I was only suggesting the bearing puller engages the full inner diameter and pulls across the entire back surface and it is impossible to loose needles in the crank case with that tool. However a puller is usually only pulling on a smaller section of the OD and inner lip and can deform the case and loose bearings into the crank case.

For this reason, I would either get the correct puller or leave the original bearings.

I don't personally know of anyone on that had a stock inner cam bearing fail after installing a performance cam.

Quick Reply: Inner Cam Bearing removal?