Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wards Fans or Oil Cooler for 107"

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Big Money
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wards Fans or Oil Cooler for 107"

Going to install 107" kit with level B heads, 777 cams and SE 50mm throttle body. Going to use the Fuel Moto heavy duty IC cylinders. No problems with heat with the 96" and SE204 cams but I figured I would add something for insurance to control heat with the 107". Was thinking about going with Wards fans but not sure if I would be better off with an oil cooler.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:22 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,792 Likes on 1,577 Posts

In short, the engine heats the oil, so if you can keep the heads cooler during traffic events and such, your oil will be cooler as well. So head fan.
Keeps you and the bike cooler when you need it.

That said, with the motor you're putting together, I would put on an oil cooler as well.
It just helps the rate in which the oil gets back down to normal again after a traffic event. Does nothing for rider comfort.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:36 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

My personal opinion on this is that a lot of it has to do with where you live and how you ride. I'd do the oil cooler first and then do the fans if you still need to.
  1. Climate/Traffic
  2. Riding Style
  3. Engine Temps generated

I live on the outskirts of Boston right on the NH border. My riding almost always head, north to NH or VT, or west to Western Mass and NY, or south to Connecticut. All of which is beautiful farm country with minimal street lights and traffic. So I ride all day at back country road speeds between 45 and 80mph and the temps never get above 235 with my 96' and Stage 1 that I also installed a Jagg Deluxe 5 row with no fan. Befiore the Stage 1 and the Jagg heat was a problem.

Now that I have my 107 I may replace the Jagg Deluxe with the 10 row with fan, IF Necessary, but my initial rides with my FM 107 the temps don't look much different than they did with the 96'. I'm seeing oil temps at 200'F (Rodger McEwan oil temp guage) , Engine temps at 255'F and Head Temps at 300'F both from Power Vision.

The New England weather is similar to PA weather, maybe a little cooler, but quite similar, so we only have a couple of real hot months a year. I don't ride real aggressive, and I am hardley ever in stop and go traffic, when I am I'll shut the bike down if I'm dead stopped for something greater than a few minutes.

I run Mobil 1 Automotive 20/50W. Jaime didn't think I was going to have a heat issue. Come talk to me in July and maybe I'm singing a different tune, I don't know yet.

I prefer the oil cooler to the Wards Fans, but it's just 2 ways to attack the same problem. I'd defintely to the oil cooler first and then the fans if necessary.

PS You will love the 107 power.

Last edited by oldhippie; 04-09-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Fans first. Cooler head Temps to start with = cooler oil. Oils job is lubrication very little cooling from the oil. I would do both Have both. The fans are effective.....

Old 04-09-2015, 07:19 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 383 Likes on 229 Posts

Fans work very well, but there is one thing you need to remember. The fans do not magically make the heat go away, they just move it to another location. (Energy can neither be created or destroyed...)

While I don't have first hand experience with Ward's fans I can tell you where my fan very efficiently moves the heat to.

The inside of my right thigh!

The good news is that via my Thundermax's monitoring ability I can actually prove that my fan works very well to cool down the engine. The bad news is I look silly stuck in traffic (that is when I run my fan) trying to hold my right leg up out of the heat stream!

Like they say, "there is no free lunch".

Old 04-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Dinger3
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this same build last fall. I went with a jagg oil cooler. Now I'm thinking of adding wards fans. Head temps are around 250 to 270 and oil temp is 200 to 235 and it's not even summer yet.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:26 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Get an oil temp gauge so you have all the facts before deciding. Unless you are consistently seeing oil temps above 240 there is no need for a cooler. High cylinder head temp is not always indicative of high oil temp. Once your 107 build is done, and properly tuned, you should see nice results. But, Get a gauge.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 386 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Fans work very well, but there is one thing you need to remember. The fans do not magically make the heat go away, they just move it to another location. (Energy can neither be created or destroyed...) While I don't have first hand experience with Ward's fans I can tell you where my fan very efficiently moves the heat to. The inside of my right thigh! The good news is that via my Thundermax's monitoring ability I can actually prove that my fan works very well to cool down the engine. The bad news is I look silly stuck in traffic (that is when I run my fan) trying to hold my right leg up out of the heat stream! Like they say, "there is no free lunch".
I can feel the added heat on the inside of my right knee but I've never found it to be so uncomfortable that I have to move my leg to get away from it. I can also attest to the effectiveness of Wards Parts Werks fan. I can idol my bike a long time before the head temp gets over 200 degrees as I monitor it with the Thunder Max. If I turn the fan off the head temp climbs very rapidly at idol.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

After my FM build, only to a 98", I was measuring 315 to 335 at the rear head around the exhaust port. Jamie stated I would need a cooler when the build was completed so I decided to go the route of the Wards fan. I don't have any issue with hot air on my leg yet but next week I will be in the hot part of the states. Right now with weather in the 70's, same as it was during the previous temp readings, I logged after a 70 mile ride a drop of 30-50 degrees. Now the rear head at the exhaust port area is 285 and front is 260. Very happy with the fan install.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

For what its worth the Folks at S&S cycle recommended a head fan instead of an oil cooler when I got their 124 motor.

Quick Reply: Wards Fans or Oil Cooler for 107"