Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Road King - Bagless and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:22 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,622 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Yes, I looked at that link when I posted one of their products at the top of this thread, but most of the stuff in that link is discontinued, and what is still available is only up to 08 bikes.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:59 AM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey all - Thanks again for the replies and suggestions

Colorido - Since I am planning to install Dragula 2-1 pipes, I assume in a bagless mode without rear guards, a right-side drop would damage the front guards and the exhaust, however, a left-side drop without rear guards I assume would damage the front guards and probably damage the primary cover too?? That's why I'm thinking of a set of narrower rear guards when in a bagless mode. I want a cleaner look in bagless mode without the stock bag supports and stock rear guards, but I still want some protection in the rear if the bike drops...to minimize repair costs.

Also, I'll need some sort of bracket mod attached to the right-side fender strut cover to support the rear of the Dragula 2-1s. Tonetls...I'll look into your suggestion here...perhaps a fabricated bracket to support the muffler from underneath is the way to go with regard to appearance.

Again, without referring the reader to my initial post, I want the ability to convert between bagger and bagless modes with just 20-30 minutes of wrenching.

No dis to the bagger mode...I think the bike looks great in stock (bagger) mode! I just want a relatively simple convertible option for a bagless mode without doing radical mods. I got a small T-bag that sits on the passenger seat for the stuff I need for day-rides (raingear, light jacket, sweatshrit, etc). My bags are mostly empty unless I'm on a trip.

Thanks all.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,420 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertG
I want a cleaner look in bagless mode without the stock bag supports and stock rear guards, but I still want some protection in the rear if the bike drops...to minimize repair costs.
Harley sells a set of rear guards that angle down at the top - they may look better w/o bags. You may also be able to adapt Heritage Softail guards?

Old 04-24-2015, 01:10 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

"Harley sells a set of rear guards that angle down at the top - they may look better w/o bags."

Joe...Do you know the part number? I tried to find those guards on the HD site but couldn't...

Thanks

Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM
mouser58
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this one???

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Road King - Bagless and other mods-bagless.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey all - Thanks again for the replies and suggestions

Colorido - Since I am planning to install Dragula 2-1 pipes, I assume in a bagless mode without rear guards, a right-side drop would damage the front guards and the exhaust, however, a left-side drop without rear guards I assume would damage the front guards and probably damage the primary cover too?? That's why I'm thinking of a set of narrower rear guards when in a bagless mode. I want a cleaner look in bagless mode without the stock bag supports and stock rear guards, but I still want some protection in the rear if the bike drops...to minimize repair costs.

Thanks all.

You may get a small scratch on the primary in a left-side drop without saddlebag guards. And in a right-side drop, you may scratch up the muffler.

The front engine guard will keep most of the bike off the ground. That's what it was designed to do. Saddlebag guards are primarily to protect the bags.

Take your bags off and the saddlbag guards and go gently lay her down on a rubber mat and see what your clearance is on everything. I think you'll find you won't need the rear guards in bagless mode.

Also, how many times have you dropped your bike? I'm not saying it will never happen, but if it happens once, promise you'll be more vigilant the next time.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:48 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mtiberio
before:

after:
I guess I just don't get the point of it?

Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey All,

I like the looks/styling of my 2014 RK with the bags, however, I don't need that much storage for everyday riding. I'm looking for advice/info regarding going bagless at times.

What I'd like to do is remove the bags, bag supports and rear crash bars, and install a 'narrower' set of rear crash bars that will still protect the bike but not protrude out as far. I would also need a bracket to support the muffler/rear end of the Dragula 2 (2 to 1) exhaust I'm looking to install.

I want everything to be bolt-on so that I can easy convert back to stock bags/bags supports and stock rear crash bars for trips.

Anyone have info for a set of narrow rear crash bars (chrome) and a bracket to support the rear of the Dragula 2 exhaust when going bagless??

Thanks...
Check out this link for an article about Bruisers, Inc. Scroll through the pics, especially the 5th picture showing bagless exhaust hangers. However, the link to Bruisers shows the website for sale so they could be out of business.

http://www.baggersmag.com/bruisers-i...bagger?image=0

Years ago I bought some small parts from them — here is the contact info from my address book:

Nick Kukuczka
Bruisers, Inc
14838 289th Avenue
Zimmerman MN 55311
(763) 607-1412

Old 04-24-2015, 06:54 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I have heard rumors about, but never seen, a "valence" that goes on the rear fender of an RK, and curves around the shock and the rest of the ugly bits, to give a nice smooth appearance.

An indie tech was telling me about it. Dunno if it actually exists.

Quick Reply: 2014 Road King - Bagless and other mods