Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Right Turn Signal - Strange Symptioms

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
Default No Right Turn Signal - Strange Symptioms

2007 Ekectraglide Classic with security but no cruise control, 63K miles.

I've done lots of searching and been reading my service manual but I'm not finding anything helpful. I've put two new bulbs in. I've taken the
run/stop/turn module out of the system to make sure it isn't it.

I've taken the housing apart again and the switch and switch wires look okay. I can't find my VOM, so I couldn't meter the switch. I'll go buy a new one tomorrow.

This morning I noticed my right turn signal wasn't working. Damn I was just in my right switch housing two weeks ago, as I had to rebuild the brake fluid piston and replace the brake light switch in the housing as well. But the turns signals have been working the past couple weeks. Still this is my first suspect.

But, it's a strange set of symtoms. My left blinker works. But if I hold the left blinker button down, it goes into flasher mode and both left and right lights, front and back all flash.

Still nothing I seem to do with that right blinker switch gives me a turn signal.

Any hints on this?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 PM
andyshd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something similar going on over the winter. Try keeping the right turn signal switch connected, but take it out of the housing. Mine worked fine then and I noticed that the little sprockets that hold the switch cap on (and provide tension) were worn out and the turn signal switch was never fully released. I hope this makes sense. Anyway- I'd take the right housing apart, take the switches out of the housing (keep all the wires connected) and see if they will work.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I just went back down to the garage to open the housing and pull the switch and decided to look at my DTC codes with my Powervision. At first I couldn't see the DTC codes because I had the run/kill switch to kill. So I turened it to run. I had an "open security antenna" code which I expected and cleared that. So at that point I decided to start the bike before I put the seat back on, just to make sure it would start.

Not only did it start, it now works correctly and I can not do the "left turn signal flasher trick" I was doing before either.

I've tried it multiple times and it is all working. I dunno, I may have not had all the wires dressed nicely and maybe the turn signal switch wasn't seated probperly or something. I hate opening those handlebar assemblies.

Hopefully it's fixed.

Thanks guys. I think ya'all fixed it through osmosis.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by andyshd
I had something similar going on over the winter. Try keeping the right turn signal switch connected, but take it out of the housing. Mine worked fine then and I noticed that the little sprockets that hold the switch cap on (and provide tension) were worn out and the turn signal switch was never fully released. I hope this makes sense. Anyway- I'd take the right housing apart, take the switches out of the housing (keep all the wires connected) and see if they will work.
Andy, good idea. I may have done some adjusting of that switch assembly when I was in there. But I'll try that if it starts giving me problems again. Good tip!

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Jerome Casi
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very similar problem, though not exact might be worth checking. Is it intermittent? If you turn the bike off and back on does it work initially? That's what mine did and the wire that runs through the fender had a little insulation rubbed off, so when I would hit a bump it would short and the computer would shut that line down. Mine was an 07 Night Train

Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 PM
andyshd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Andy, good idea. I may have done some adjusting of that switch assembly when I was in there. But I'll try that if it starts giving me problems again. Good tip!

Thanks!

You're welcome! Based on what you just posted and the fact that everything worked when you had it out of the housing, I'm thinking you might just have the same issue. Let me know and I will try to explain better what my problem was - it was driving me nuts!