Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 FLHX - 0 Miles now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
cdale976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '07 FLHX - 0 Miles now what?

SoCal is right.
you'llfind the extras soon enough once you start ridin.
break it in then break it out.

Good luck and welcome

Old 04-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Rick 547
Tourer

Good choice on the new ride. I picked up my new SG a little over a week ago. Rode it 300 miles the first weekend. What a ride.

Choice on extras are very personal. Thats why both the Harley Davidson and the after market manufactures make so many parts for your new bike. Listed below are the ones I had done before I took delivery.

1. Chromed out the front end with new lower downtubes, upper downtube shields, chrome axle spacers and polished rotors.

2. Stage 1 air filter and ECM download.

3. Screaming Eagle slipon mufflers.

4. Rear attachment points for passenger backrest and luggage rack.

5. Cruise Control

Already had a Harley Davidson Sundowner seat and backrest for the wife.

Before you do any changing of your mufflers, air cleaner, or adding a tuner talk to the dealer. Some dealers will not cover you under warrenty if you add non approved Harley Davidson performance parts. If this is not a problem for you then go for it.

In any case, as stated before, look around at other bikes to se what you like and dislike and then make your purchases.

Follow the break in period as noted in your manual. Once you get 50 miles on the bike you can ride at almost any speed as long as you stay below the RPM sated in the manual. Remember to not keep it at any one speed over a long hall to help seat the piston ring properly.

Good Riding.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory recommended break-in on the '07 BT models is almost a non-issue:under 4k rpm the first 50 miles and under 5k the first 500 miles.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 AM
flyslow
Road Captain

Just finished my 500 miles. . took the bike from the dealer exactly as it came out of the box.

When I go back for the 1000 mile service I am having V&H Ovals installed and a K&N Air filter as well as SERT and stage 1 download.

I have ordered the riders essential kit for my bike and will install the bits and pieces that come in it as I get the time and desire to upgrade.

I have also decided on the 'chrome' package and look I want and as paydays are good, I will slowly do that conversion as well.

Not in a rush to work on the thing, but to enjoy it.

Have fun and ride it like theres no tomorrow!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 AM
dpitts
Cruiser

Thanks for all the feedback - keep it coming, I do apperciate it. And looking at everyones photos has inspired me greatly.

Dennis

Old 04-26-2007, 01:43 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

**** on the factory break-in! It's designed to "break the rider in", not the bike.

The only thing that needs to occur is getting the rings seated & that happens (or is supposed to happen) very early in life ~ while the honed edges are still sharp in the cylinders.

Do this:
Just after you leave the shop, find a nice country road that is relatively straight.
-Get in 3rd gear, maintain 30mph
-Twist the throttle open 100%, until you reach 60mph and immediately close the throttle back to 0%
-Coast back down to 30mph
-repeat this 10 times

then you're done!

The 100% throttle applies max pressure while expanding the rings and pressing them against the cylinder walls and heats them up
The 0% throttle allows the cylinders to cool briefly.

This is no BS, do a search on this site and you will see several threads on this very topic. I have been using this techniqe for years on new bikes and fresh engine builds & it works like a champ!

I first read about it in an article by Joe Minton, in American Rider back in 2000 or 2001.

btw - welcome & congrats!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:31 AM
AZFLHX
Novice

Yep, PhilM has got it down right. The concern during "break in" is the seating of the piston rings. That happens in the first 50 miles ... after that, no worries. My new SG, which I purchased two weeks ago, already has 1K miles on it. After about 50 miles, I "rode it like I stole it". It runs fine!