Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak Around Rear Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:38 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Based on the comments here and the nature of the noise, I'm pretty convinced it is the belt--either too loose or slightly misaligned. (I had checked the muffler mounts previously.) Assuming that is the case, will I cause irreparable damage to the belt (or anything else) by continuing to ride? (I can' t get the bike into the dealer until next week.)

Old 05-05-2015, 09:49 PM
gomiller2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probley wouldn't take the chance of riding till you get this fixed next week give your keys to someone else so you wont do it then get them back right before you take it in its a long summer.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

Belt Tension . . . and you absolutely MUST use the Tension Gauge exactly as Harley says in the Service Manual. If it's making noise, adjusting it by "feel" or using the "I always done it this way" methods will NOT work (been there and done that on my bike). I went round and round (no pun intended) with my Heritage . . . as did the Dealer . . . Particularly because you say that cleaning the belt and/or putting stuff on it changed the noise, it points straight at the Belt Tension being set wrong. Take a dry bar of soap and rub the bar lightly on both sides of the belt, all the way around the belt, I'll bet the noise goes away until you wash the bike and the soap is rinsed off the belt! The soap film temporarily lubricates the edges of the belt where it comes into contact with the inside edges of the Rear Pulley without putting something on the Belt that will do long term damage to the Belt. I posted a rather long thread on this many years ago along with a link to YouTube where I have a recording of the noise posted.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 05-05-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:14 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Belt Tension . . . and you absolutely MUST use the Tension Gauge exactly as Harley says in the Service Manual. If it's making noise, adjusting it by "feel" or using the "I always done it this way" methods will NOT work (been there and done that on my bike). I went round and round (no pun intended) with my Heritage . . . as did the Dealer . . . Particularly because you say that cleaning the belt and/or putting stuff on it changed the noise, it points straight at the Belt Tension being set wrong. Take a dry bar of soap and rub the bar lightly on both sides of the belt, all the way around the belt, I'll bet the noise goes away until you wash the bike and the soap is rinsed off the belt! The soap film temporarily lubricates the edges of the belt where it comes into contact with the inside edges of the Rear Pulley without putting something on the Belt that will do long term damage to the Belt. I posted a rather long thread on this many years ago along with a link to YouTube where I have a recording of the noise posted.
Thanks! I think that explains why when I washed it, with soap, it was quiet for a while. Until the soap wore off. I don't have the tools or lift to do the adjustment, so I'm taking it to the dealer next week. I'll report back here after they confirm the diagnosis.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:28 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Bluehighways, I sent you a PM.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Gunk makes a belt dressing spray in a small can that might be helpful, can be found at most Auto Parts stores. I have used it on noisy serpentine auto belts and it helped.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:19 AM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont think I would use a belt dressing on the drive belt, personnel choice I guess. Chap stick works really well too.

The following users liked this post:
fxrMike (03-17-2022)
Old 05-06-2015, 10:36 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 959 Likes on 415 Posts

Had a rear pulley develop an annoying squeak. Soap or lube would help until it wore off. Turned out to be a damaged pulley. The plating on the pulley wore through in one spot which caused the belt to squeak.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:54 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by ndnguyd
Dont think I would use a belt dressing on the drive belt, personnel choice I guess. Chap stick works really well too.
That is what it is made for. I have used it in Heavy Equipment installations without issue. Noises are not always from the belt being loose, it can be from a variety of things creating undesirable harmonics. It actually IMPROVES the grip.
Amazon.com: SUNBELT- Gunk Belt Dressing (6 oz). Part No: B1AC124: Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: SUNBELT- Gunk Belt Dressing (6 oz). Part No: B1AC124: Industrial & Scientific

Old 05-10-2015, 01:56 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would still check the alignment. Masking the "squeak" may hide a problem.

Quick Reply: Squeak Around Rear Wheel?