Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak Around Rear Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:56 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Squeak Around Rear Wheel?

In the past few weeks my bike has developed a persistent squeak or whine coming from the area of the rear wheel. (My wife hears it better than I do. It is definitely coming from behind me.) It is not the rear brake because it only makes the noise when moving. It is not the shocks. It is a steady sound that starts as you pull away.

Initially, I thought that it was a dirty drive belt since I drove in alot of rain coming back from Daytona. I cleaned the drive belt and it seemed to improve, but then came back. I gave it a more through cleaning and again it was good at first and then came back steadily. I do think it is likely belt related, maybe misadjustment or misalignment. (I did hit one pothole hard a few weeks ago.)

I am taking it in to the dealer to have them look at it, but if you have any ideas as to things to ask them to look at, or other theories as to the cause, let me know. The bike is a 2011 RKC and has a little over 40,000 miles on it, but that's not enough to have worn out a belt.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That pothole may well have pushed the wheel slightly out of alignment. I'm assuming you don't have a bike jack? If you do, have a look with the wheel off the ground and slowly turning it. You should see where the belt rubs against the side of the pulley.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:27 PM
TVagee
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the tension. Mine did the same thing when it was loose.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

check the little rubber insert that holds the muffler on/buffers vibration.. mine came out and made a squeaking noise that was driving me crazy. simple fix.

The following users liked this post:
fxrMike (03-17-2022)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:08 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk
check the little rubber insert that holds the muffler on/buffers vibration.. mine came out and made a squeaking noise that was driving me crazy. simple fix.
These are usually the cause and are very cheap to replace ($6 ?). Easy to check, squirt just a small drop of oil where the rubber touches the metal.

Beary

Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

If you cleaned the belt & it stopped for awhile, I'd look into that. My buddy's bike has the same issue & he uses something from HD. Disc brake pads do drag on the rotor
all the time. Just my 2 cents. Let's us know when you find the cause. I don't know if the cush drive will make that type of noise.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Glenn1911
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do an overpass with concrete walls and left off the gas, if noise goes away the belts too loose.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:33 PM
GATORKING
Novice

I had a similar issue with my 09 Roadking.Turned out to be the wheel bearing. It started out as an intermittent squeak and then a louder squalling noise. Jacked up the rear and could feel the play. Might be worth ruling out.
Originally Posted by TKDKurt
In the past few weeks my bike has developed a persistent squeak or whine coming from the area of the rear wheel. (My wife hears it better than I do. It is definitely coming from behind me.) It is not the rear brake because it only makes the noise when moving. It is not the shocks. It is a steady sound that starts as you pull away.

Initially, I thought that it was a dirty drive belt since I drove in alot of rain coming back from Daytona. I cleaned the drive belt and it seemed to improve, but then came back. I gave it a more through cleaning and again it was good at first and then came back steadily. I do think it is likely belt related, maybe misadjustment or misalignment. (I did hit one pothole hard a few weeks ago.)

I am taking it in to the dealer to have them look at it, but if you have any ideas as to things to ask them to look at, or other theories as to the cause, let me know. The bike is a 2011 RKC and has a little over 40,000 miles on it, but that's not enough to have worn out a belt.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 PM
gomiller2
Tourer

try spraying some wd on the the rubber pads were the mufflers bolt on under your saddle bags sounds stupid I know but they do make noise I do mine at least once a year its worth a try .

Old 05-04-2015, 09:15 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk
Bingo!

The following users liked this post:
fxrMike (03-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Squeak Around Rear Wheel?