Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

corvette shocks fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not trying to stir things up, but with all of the shock choices available to us, why in the world would you want Corvette shocks on a bike?

David

Old 05-28-2015, 07:44 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

That's what you get when you use the wrong part in the wrong application.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:11 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

No offense, but there are people that would post that after they cut the eyelet off just to try to keep people from running them. I have had them for a couple of years & 21K miles on them,no problems. Between my wife & I is close to 500#. But I will pull the bags off & inspect them, thanks for the info.

Toby

Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks like a job for a zip tie...

Batman

Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,626 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
Not trying to stir things up, but with all of the shock choices available to us, why in the world would you want Corvette shocks on a bike?
+1.....

I have no idea why someone would try to "mickey mouse" a shock on a Harley with the many, many options available...

Old 05-28-2015, 10:41 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
+1..... I have no idea why someone would try to "mickey mouse" a shock on a Harley with the many, many options available...
The same reason that we can't buy a stock Harley and be satisfied with it the way it is. It's human nature to change things to ones personal likings.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 05-28-2015, 10:49 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by uriel
Good thing I welded mine on both ends. So if you do this mod, definately dont try to save a few bucks by not getting them welded.

Why ?? A corvette is certainly much heavier and would put a greater load on the shock right ??

BUT when used on the HD they do carry ALL the load.

When used in the intended application they control the suspension movement.

When used on a bike they are the suspension.

From my understanding they work well and are a fairly inexpensive way of having a air ride. But for me air ride could be too failure prone ?? Spring a leak and you have a rigid and possibly a long unpleasant ride home.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Why ?? A corvette is certainly much heavier and would put a greater load on the shock right ??

BUT when used on the HD they do carry ALL the load.

When used in the intended application they control the suspension movement.

When used on a bike they are the suspension.

From my understanding they work well and are a fairly inexpensive way of having a air ride. But for me air ride could be too failure prone ?? Spring a leak and you have a rigid and possibly a long unpleasant ride home.
A vette is heavier, but all the shock does on a vette is go up and down and support the weight, there is no side load, that's why autos have radius rods, torque rods and pan hard bars.
On a HD the shock is the rear pivot point of the entire powertrain, it bolts to a rubber mounted swing arm which is attached to the back of the transmission, which is attached to a completely rubber mounted motor. The power train oscilates when in motion and there are side loads placed on the shocks when the bike leans. Auto shocks are made from a lighter gauge sheet metal and the welds are not designed to take side loads which the metal will break more than likely than the weld breaking. Even the Chinese welders must have some sort of pride in their welds.
Ever wonder why shops don't advertise cheap ways around bike suspension?
My analogy is like this "If a person smoked for 40 years and didn't get cancer, does that mean its ok to smoke"?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Big_Black
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, he sold em already

Old 05-29-2015, 07:53 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

On any air shock, when lifted above stock ride height, the shock no longer just controls up & down. As for side load, don't think for one minute that a car won't produce side load in a turn. As for using them on a Harley, I am one of those people. The stock shocks on our FLTH's are a air shock. The Vette shocks have more travel & has more pressure capabilities. There are companies out the that do use the same shock, some have some minor differences, just as brand to brand will do. Arrnott comes to mind & charges 800.00 more for the kit. Cost for the DIY is 200.00+-50.00 depending on how you do your dump valve & air compressor. People have been doing this for years, this is not a new find. As for failing due to the eyelet breaking off, prove that was even on the bike when it broke, or not used on something else before it broke. Prove that it wasn't tampered with or a setup to have people stop doing it because someone doesn't think it is right. Good luck

Toby

Quick Reply: corvette shocks fail