Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   CCE Dresser Tour Trac Forks Kit Marries MM Ohlins Cartridges! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1050999-cce-dresser-tour-trac-forks-kit-marries-mm-ohlins-cartridges.html)

grbrown 06-03-2015 05:14 AM

CCE Dresser Tour Trac Forks Kit Marries MM Ohlins Cartridges!

2 Attachment(s)
Early in 2014 Ohlins announced their new 25mm FKC101 cartridges, designed expressly to fit our H-D Touring bikes’ 41mm front forks. All went quiet for a time, but at last they are readily available. This thread marries a pair of them together with a Custom Cycle Engineering (CCE) ‘Dresser Tour Trac Trees’ kit, to provide a practical and significant forks upgrade. As supplied the cartridges won’t fit the longer tubes of the CCE kit, but Howard Messner of HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal (MM) has very kindly put in a lot of effort to modify them to suit.

For several years now CCE have offered their Tour Trac kit, which provides a new billet top tree and longer fork tubes, so that our 41mm forks can be clamped and properly supported, just like the Rushmore bikes and indeed most other brands. I anticipate that the new top tree will increase torsional stiffness of the fork legs, keeping them parallel to each other, hence giving better steering and handling, while the cartridges will provide improved control of the front wheel over the bumps and generally improve comfort and grip. I won’t pretend that my new forks are going to knock spots off a bike with MM 49mm trees/forks and Ohlins 30mm cartridges, but I do look forward to a significantly improved riding experience.

My photos below show my CCE kit as received and my Ohlins cartridges ditto. If you study Ohlins’ website you will see the differences between the stock FKC cartridges and mine. With my MM #3-#3 shocks and True-Track handling kit at the rear (plus '04 swingarm and later rear wheel) I look forward to the day when I can brag that I have an Electra Glide with both front and rear Ohlins suspension!

I should point out that my bike is a 1990 FLHS and this project is part of a more extensive makeover, which includes fitting later sliders, calipers and front wheel, also overcoming the challenge of retaining my front wheel driven speedo, so I will be taking my time to get this all together and right. I will also be using mostly new components, with nothing carried over from my old forks.

For reasons that aren't clear to me Ohlins say their kit is only suitable for bikes from '97 to '13. Those of you with later bikes than mine, using your existing sliders, wheel and brakes, will find the work to be more straightforward. Instructions for each kit as supplied are available on the CCE and Ohlins websites. There are of course the options to install either kit, or both!

jefla 06-03-2015 07:03 AM

Two years ago I installed the CCE Tour Trac kit, along with upgraded springs and valves. Low and high speed handling improved a lot: bike tracks straight and is much more precise. Steering used to be squirmy; now it's not. I highly recommend the mod. Adding the Ohlins cartridge kit is very tempting. I look forward to hearing reports on the combined mod.

I wonder if Howard needs a volunteer test platform for the modded cartridges. ...

09Rootbeer 06-10-2015 09:14 AM

Thanks grbrown as I am looking to upgrade my suspension on my 09 ultra as it has 87000
miles on it and it needs improving as my wife and I do a lot of riding and her back is starting to bother her,

hattitude 06-10-2015 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 14079607)
Early in 2014 Ohlins announced their new 25mm FKC101 cartridges, designed expressly to fit our H-D Touring bikes’ 41mm front forks.

As supplied the cartridges won’t fit the longer tubes of the CCE kit, but Howard Messner of HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal (MM) has very kindly put in a lot of effort to modify them to suit.

Will Howard be doing this now as one of his Ohlin services? He's been pretty outspoken against modifying the 41mm forks v converting to 49mm forks....

I've almost have the money saved for my rear Ohlins, which I'll get from Howard.

Then comes the front suspension. I'm torn between the Howard 49mm solution and the CCE/Ohlins for 41mm....

Obviously, money does matter....

I will be waiting to see how you like the Ohlin/CCE combo.

Good luck with the mod.....

grbrown 06-10-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 09Rootbeer (Post 14101523)
Thanks grbrown as I am looking to upgrade my suspension on my 09 ultra as it has 87000
miles on it and it needs improving as my wife and I do a lot of riding and her back is starting to bother her,

I started by changing to Ohlins shocks, which were a huge improvement! So as an introduction to much improved ride quality I recommend you start with them. That will in turn demonstrate how poor your forks are, but your wife will be far more comfortable (as will you!), while I get on with this mod!

grbrown 06-10-2015 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by hattitude (Post 14101596)
Will Howard be doing this now as one of his Ohlin services? He's been pretty outspoken against modifying the 41mm forks v converting to 49mm forks....

I've almost have the money saved for my rear Ohlins, which I'll get from Howard.

Then comes the front suspension. I'm torn between the Howard 49mm solution and the CCE/Ohlins for 41mm....

Obviously, money does matter....

I will be waiting to see how you like the Ohlin/CCE combo.

Good luck with the mod.....

I'm sure that having done mine Howard can produce other upgraded cartridges, to fit the CCE kit, but it would be wise to phone him and ask! Now that Ohlins are producing these 'budget' cartridges I'm sure they will become popular as an alternative to other brands.

Being idle retired my budget for such mods is limited, so I have 'made do' with #3-3 shocks (the #6 had only just become available when I bought them and the cost of #6 was a bit of a shock at the time!) and this approach to the forks. Given a deeper pocket I would have no hesitation by going with #6 and 49mm Ohlins forks.

My own installation of the FKC101s involves quite a lot of other challenges, so I may be some time before I am able to report on a test ride!

FastHarley 06-10-2015 04:39 PM

Modifications

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 14101768)
I'm sure that having done mine Howard can produce other upgraded cartridges, to fit the CCE kit, but it would be wise to phone him and ask! Now that Ohlins are producing these 'budget' cartridges I'm sure they will become popular as an alternative to other brands.

Being idle retired my budget for such mods is limited, so I have 'made do' with #3-3 shocks (the #6 had only just become available when I bought them and the cost of #6 was a bit of a shock at the time!) and this approach to the forks. Given a deeper pocket I would have no hesitation by going with #6 and 49mm Ohlins forks.

My own installation of the FKC101s involves quite a lot of other challenges, so I may be some time before I am able to report on a test ride!

I am glad you got off da azz and dropped the tea & crumpets and got going. We can discuss this here a it is fine with me. I thought when I made you your 25mm cartridges that they would be drop in on your new sliders for your HD Brembo calipers? I am confused on this or are you having trouble getting something to fit which y9ou should not? Maybe you are waiting for your 36" front wheel?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...290d1743ec.jpg

tj316 06-10-2015 06:46 PM

Howard it takes a little longer to get things done on the other side of the pond , Graham being the Gentleman he is has a very busy social calendar and when you factor in tea breaks and all , well there's only so much time in a day. I look forward to his results and testing , as he truly is a technical person who will give an honest review.

lowbed 06-10-2015 09:05 PM

Interesting.

hattitude 06-10-2015 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 14101768)

I am retired myself, trying to save for Ohlins in the rear & Howard's 49mm/Ohlins in the front. It's harder to save for mods when I can't just sign up for overtime!

Since it's already taken longer than planned saving for the rear shocks, I'm always willing to learn about front suspension options.

From your posts I can tell you are a technical person and a straight shooter. I would value your opinion/experience with the Ohlin/CCE mod....

At the rate I am saving, you may well be done before I have the money for my front suspension... :icon_doh:

FastHarley 06-10-2015 10:52 PM

Oh, and yes it will

Thing are slowing down just a bit now so I will be getting a little time to myself. I have my new trees sitting within 5 feet of my S&S 124CI bagger waiting for them to go on. With my trees, I can put in 41mm, the new 43mm Ohlins fully adjustable conventional forks, inverted forks both my KYB & Ohlins, and 49mm HD forks.

I am working on a full floating 320mm rotor wheel mount (Dyna's & 2014/2015 FLT) and also (std) hub mount which I have always had along with adapters to mount either the OEM HD Brembo or either the twin or four pad 65mm Brembos that I used previously, your choice. I need a broken/crashed 2014/15 FLT wheel for this project.

I plan on expanding into the HD market more so than before. 2014/15 Spoke/wheel mount rotor also Dyna's

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...9918bcfcfb.jpg

I do not make rotors smaller or remove them, I make them bigger so they stop better.

FastHarley 06-10-2015 11:14 PM

Customer Service

HTML Code:

[QUOTE=hattitude;14103634 From your posts I can tell you are a technical person and a straight shooter. I would value your opinion/experience with the Ohlin/CCE mod....:icon_doh:[/QUOTE]
One of the many reasons why I chose the Gent and hoped to help him out by making his wife a bit happier on long rides in their adventure through life. Graham has relentlessly helped many members here with their problems, shared his many (many, many...) years of experience and his background from his former life as an Engineer working for (I believe) the British Government (but not 100% sure).

In this life there are some who are exemplary citizens & if I can, I will do my best to facilitate some happiness in their life. GB will let the BS stop at the door. There are so many people here who are giving bad advice or reviews on products that they know nothing about, GB is refreshing in that he actually knows what he is talking about. I know 100% the Gent is not going to paint the experience with a broad brush dipped in BS. The truth has a tendency to come out in the end. Anyone remember Marc Parns & Mud? Perfect example of such a situation, too bad so many people got taken in with their BS.

Good luck in this project GB. :icon_user:

grbrown 06-11-2015 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was asleep while you chaps were chatting! Thanks for all the compliments and patience. I worked in the British defence industry (we spell that differently as well!) for much of my life, even with US defense contractors. So while I'm an engineer, my skills and home workshop facilities are limited, but I have a circle of friends and family with the expertise I need for some of the more adventurous work I do (relative to my skills!).

I'm building an entirely fresh set of forks and some of the H-D components I needed have only arrived since I received Howard's package of cartridges, hence some of the delay in making a start. My pal and I checked over the kit of Ohlins/CCE/H-D parts that I have assembled and reviewed the Ohlins instructions on Tuesday and, as soon as he has cleared his bench, we'll be on the case to assemble the fork legs. He's a retired Harley mechanic (do they ever actually retire?!) so between us we expect to be a brief blur of activity, to complete the first stage of this project!

The job after that will be sorting out my '10 SG front wheel and speedo drive/spacers, before changing the top tree for the CCE billet one, along with new steering head bearings, after which the ole lady will be back on her wheels, with her 'new' baby blue front fender.

No pressure then! :o

shakrr 06-17-2015 06:34 AM

grbrown you have had your cce top trees for a while that alone will be a big improvement. I contacted Howard about getting a set and he is waiting for your approval of the cartridges before he will release them to the rest of us. nudge!!!:)

shakrr 06-18-2015 07:49 PM

No hurry grbrown just wondering how big and how much stuff needs cleaned off your friends bench!! this would be a good xmas present for me:icon_teeth:

Consig64 06-18-2015 08:08 PM

I just got finished installing the CCE top tree with Ohlins FKC101 cartridges on my 2009 CVO Road Glide and it is a completely different bike as a result. I highly recommend this combination. CCE now offers the necessary top bolts to allow the use of the Ohlins cartridges with their longer fork tubes so the install could not be easier.

sanman4ever 06-20-2015 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Consig64 (Post 14129282)
I just got finished installing the CCE top tree with Ohlins FKC101 cartridges on my 2009 CVO Road Glide and it is a completely different bike as a result.

What's the degree of difficulty for the install? Any special tools needed?

skypilot_one 06-26-2015 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Consig64 (Post 14129282)
I just got finished installing the CCE top tree with Ohlins FKC101 cartridges on my 2009 CVO Road Glide and it is a completely different bike as a result. I highly recommend this combination. CCE now offers the necessary top bolts to allow the use of the Ohlins cartridges with their longer fork tubes so the install could not be easier.

Where did you purchase the Ohlins cartridges?

FLYER 06-26-2015 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sanman4ever (Post 14134642)

The biggest shop tool for this project is a Factory Shop Manual! I did this job and the whole front end of the bike comes off. You will have to move the lowers from the stock tubes to the new tubes and change out the trees. The ignition switch can be a bit of a pain to deal with. The only "issue" with my install is the CCE upper tree scraped on some frame weld slag and I heard this weird scraping noise when I rotated the trees. Once I dusted that slag off with a grinder all was good.

Setting the bearings in the neck just requires some patience but it is all explained in the manual.

Enjoy! The results are worth it.

Consig64 06-26-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot_one (Post 14152400)
Where did you purchase the Ohlins cartridges?

Pro Pilot Suspension in Jackson NJ. Great guys to deal with and wholesale pricing.

http://www.propilotsuspension.com/

Consig64 06-26-2015 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sanman4ever (Post 14134642)

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 14152497)
The biggest shop tool for this project is a Factory Shop Manual! I did this job and the whole front end of the bike comes off. You will have to move the lowers from the stock tubes to the new tubes and change out the trees. The ignition switch can be a bit of a pain to deal with. The only "issue" with my install is the CCE upper tree scraped on some frame weld slag and I heard this weird scraping noise when I rotated the trees. Once I dusted that slag off with a grinder all was good.

Setting the bearings in the neck just requires some patience but it is all explained in the manual.

Enjoy! The results are worth it.

:icon_that:. Not that hard as long as you have some mechanical skills but it is a reasonable amount of work taking everything apart to get to the trees.

So worth the cost and effort though. I have done tons of modes to tons of bikes over lots of years and this one is in the top 3 for sure.

jefla 06-26-2015 08:46 PM

I installed CCE's upper tree in 2013, along w/ race tech springs and ricor valves. This is a huge improvement over the stock system. I wonder if I now should replace the spring/valve set-up with the ohlin cartridge system? Can anyone comment on that? Will the FJKC101 drop right in the longer tubes I got from CCE two years ago? Consig, what'd you pay for the ohlin parts? Thanks

tj316 06-27-2015 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by jefla (Post 14154084)
I installed CCE's upper tree in 2013, along w/ race tech springs and ricor valves. This is a huge improvement over the stock system. I wonder if I now should replace the spring/valve set-up with the ohlin cartridge system? Can anyone comment on that? Will the FJKC101 drop right in the longer tubes I got from CCE two years ago? Consig, what'd you pay for the ohlin parts? Thanks

The Ohlins cartridges will not just drop into the longer CCE fork tubes , you have 2 options , 1- Howard at Motorcyclemetal can make the cartridges longer so they drop in 2- CCE now sells a different cap to work with the Ohlins cartridges , the Ohlins 25mm cartridges sell for high $900 below $1000 range

jefla 06-27-2015 08:18 AM

Thanks, tj. Compared to oem, I'm very happy with my current set-up (race tech spring/ricor valve). However, I have an occasional, annoying clunk on quick extensions and maybe the ohlins are otherwise much better than what I now have. I dont know. Can anyone compare the ohlin cartridge option vs race tech/ricor/damper rod, using the cce top tree and longer tubes? Is it worth another $1,000+?

skypilot_one 06-27-2015 08:39 AM

Or you can buy the Traxxion externally adjustable cartridges, however you will have to get the caps machined. Contact Traxxion, they will explain.

tj316 06-27-2015 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jefla (Post 14154972)
Thanks, tj. Compared to oem, I'm very happy with my current set-up (race tech spring/ricor valve). However, I have an occasional, annoying clunk on quick extensions and maybe the ohlins are otherwise much better than what I now have. I dont know. Can anyone compare the ohlin cartridge option vs race tech/ricor/damper rod, using the cce top tree and longer tubes? Is it worth another $1,000+?

I'm running 49mm forks and Ohlins 30mm cartridges so I cant make a direct comparison , however I ran the Ricor valves when I first got the bike , I didn't use the Race Tech springs . It was an improvement over stock but not in the same league as a cartridge system , damper rods is a poor performing design . Traxxion Dynamics ak-20 like Sky Pilot mentioned I am very familiar with too . I test rode a bike with them on it , and then decided to go with Progressive monotubes before doing my current set up. The reason was the AK-20's were around $1200 and if you want to say they were a 10 just for comparison purposes the monotubes were a 7 at $229 and I installed them myself. I haven't used the 25mm Ohlins cartridges but everyone I know who has loves them.

skypilot_one 06-27-2015 09:49 AM

I see cycle solutions is selling the 101 cartridges on Amazon for $999.95, fuel moto at $936.00

skypilot_one 07-01-2015 08:27 AM

Hi Graham, How's the project coming along? I ordered my new tubes and tree yesterday, should be ready to install my CCE/Traxxion setup in about two weeks.

grbrown 07-02-2015 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by shakrr (Post 14123597)
grbrown you have had your cce top trees for a while that alone will be a big improvement. I contacted Howard about getting a set and he is waiting for your approval of the cartridges before he will release them to the rest of us. nudge!!!:)

I've had to read this thread through from start to finish, to catch up, having had two holidays away from home since I last posted. I've done a dry trial build of the fork legs and hit a 'challenge' in installing the cartridges, which Howard and I are working on at present - he tells me what he needs to know and I go fetch! So 'we're' on the case. :o

grbrown 07-02-2015 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot_one (Post 14166654)
Hi Graham, How's the project coming along? I ordered my new tubes and tree yesterday, should be ready to install my CCE/Traxxion setup in about two weeks.

Hi Mike, see my post above. I haven't been home much recently, so the answer is slowly. My bike is still on it's wheels, with the 'old' forks and front wheel, as I want to keep it mobile until I am ready to replace the front end.

To add insult to injury we are having the hottest July weather at present in 160 years, which doesn't exactly make me want to spend time out in the garage! :icon_playing:

northeastconfederate 07-22-2015 09:43 PM

Graham, I'm looking forward to the results of this also. I too am running the Ricor/Race Tech front end upgrade (with the Ricor valves modofied by a forum member). And like others have been thinking about Howard's 49mm conversion with 30mm Ohlins cartridge... I've never been more comfortable on this bike, but.....

grbrown 07-23-2015 03:55 AM

Hi Eric, sorry it's gone quiet recently! We've hit a couple of snags, one with the cartridges as first modified, the other with installing the CCE tubes. We have solutions for both, so more news when I'm happy everything is right.

northeastconfederate 07-24-2015 08:13 PM

Hey, please don't apologize! I just wanted to express my interest and make sure to be subscribed so I can read up on it as it comes along!

skypilot_one 08-20-2015 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 14233610)
Hi Eric, sorry it's gone quiet recently! We've hit a couple of snags, one with the cartridges as first modified, the other with installing the CCE tubes. We have solutions for both, so more news when I'm happy everything is right.

Graham, Any word? Today I pulled the front end off my bike to install the CCE tree and tubes along with the Traxxion cartridges. Heading to the dealer to pick up new neck bearings and do the whole thing. They were bone dry after having them serviced (greased/adjusted) twice within 20,000 miles. Why I do my own work now...

hattitude 08-20-2015 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot_one (Post 14318715)
Today I pulled the front end off my bike to install the CCE tree and tubes along with the Traxxion cartridges. Heading to the dealer to pick up new neck bearings and do the whole thing. They were bone dry after having them serviced (greased/adjusted) twice within 20,000 miles. Why I do my own work now...

Please make a thread about the CCE/Traxxion combo when you finish your front end. That is one of the front end options I'm considering..... would like to hear how it went together and how it works....

skypilot_one 08-20-2015 11:04 PM

I ended up cleaning the bearings. They were just crusty with dry grease not fretted or galled.

Will do.

shakrr 08-21-2015 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by hattitude (Post 14320179)
Please make a thread about the CCE/Traxxion combo when you finish your front end. That is one of the front end options I'm considering..... would like to hear how it went together and how it works....

I wanted to do these from Howard also but I couldn't wait for the results of this thread my seals were leaking and I have some rides to do this fall and sent my forks to Traxxion for there AK-20s they are pretty nice :)

Hallze 09-20-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jefla (Post 14154972)

I had a clunk too after installing CCE triple tree and longer tubes/Racetech springs and gold valves. After a year and 15,000 miles I'd pulled the front end apart 20 times trying to find the noise! I had tried to contact Rick at CCE numerous times but he didn't reply to one email. I even emailed his secretary pretending to be a new customer just so I could get a response from them. She was going to get him to contact me but it never happened. Surprise surprise she too now didn't reply to emails either.

Great fun trying to contact people when you're on the other side of the world. In the end I took it to a independent shop and he eventually found the longer fork tubes didn't suit my 2008 Street glide damper rods and internals. He tells me that there are 3 different tubes available from the mid '80's to now and the ones that were supplied weren't compatible to my bike.

I ended up reusing my original shorter fork tubes and got longer spacer top caps made. All up it cost me $1268 to get rid of the clunk. Very disappointing service(or lack there of) from CCE. I would not recommend CCE to anyone. I love how the bike hands now but if I knew what troubles I was going to have I would have left it standard.

grbrown 09-21-2015 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hallze (Post 14412338)
Great fun trying to contact people when you're on the other side of the world.

In my modest experience over several decades of Harley ownership here in the UK it is still a disappointment to me that US suppliers can't grasp the essentials of selling stuff abroad.

Our US members like to talk of the 'Harley' tax, but there is a also a 'Harley Export' tax, for those of us overseas, who have to sort out stuff that ain't as wholesome as it could be.

grbrown 01-15-2016 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot_one (Post 14318715)
Graham, Any word?

Yes, at long last! Fork legs are assembled, with the modified Ohlins cartridges inside. Everything seems to have gone together as it should.