Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Disc Brake Warped

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:23 PM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear Disc Brake Warped

FYI only!!! My rear rotor failed at about 20K miles. I had my rear brake pads replaced and notice the bike would jerk each time I applied my rear brake. I took it back to the same HD service center and was told that the disc maybe warped. They replaced rear disc brake and jerk disappeared.

Did not replaced front brake pads yet. The pads has about 3/32 left.

2012 rkc and its approaching 25Kmiles.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:35 PM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Brake rotors don't "fail". They warp when they get too hot, it could be 5 miles or 50,000 depending on your braking habits.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Maybe from over use of the rear brake. Front brake should be primary brake, except when turning. The rear brake doesn't do a whole lot to stop or even slow down the bike, yet people tend to use it the most. Pull the front brake first and just have your toe resting on the rear brake, as your bike slows your body will rock forward causing your toe to push on the rear brake. That's about all you need. If you ever lock up the rear and start sliding, the bike will go sideways and if you let up it will high side you. If you do lock up, slowly let up. Just use the front first and the problem won't occur.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:25 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

My rear rotor warped and I replaced it with a floating rotor. It took about 65k miles before it happened. I rode it for another 15k before it was bad enough to change it out. I've got 83k now and I'll be going with floating rotors on the front before too long. I'm definitely light on the rear brake generally and heavy on the fronts. The fixed rotors will warp if the brakes get hot from aggressive riding. Hot outer rotor, cool center where it's attached to the hub. The floating rotors have the friction discs isolated from the hub and are less likely to tweak under heat (warp). If you're not picky on the style of floating rotor, they're only about $20 more a piece than the solid rotors.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brake discs can warp when you brake aggressively and keep your brake applied after you stopped. The disc is hot and the part of the disc that's not covered by the pads cools at a faster rate compared to the bit that is still pinched by the brake pads. With heat comes expansion and heating or cooling at different rates results in warping.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:00 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If I understand it correctly - you had worn pads and no issues - had new pads installed and now a warped rotor?

Sounds more like the shop bent the rotor - not hard to do.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:19 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
If I understand it correctly - you had worn pads and no issues - had new pads installed and now a warped rotor?

Sounds more like the shop bent the rotor - not hard to do.
I don't see how they can bend the rotor by just replacing the pads.

I just replaced mine.Removed the two caliper bolts,lifted it off,replaced pads and placed it back on.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 06-21-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

The rear caliper is a close/tight fit, If ya don't spread the pistons back open it doesn't want to come off. A lazy or new service tech may rock/roll caliper back and forth on the rotor to spread pads. And can easily bend/warp the rotor. Another reason I do all/most of my own work .

Old 06-21-2015, 09:58 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,650 Likes on 5,190 Posts

Here is the deal on Rotors. They warp. When they do replace them with floating rotors. HD has so fairly priced one. Once you do never worry about it again.
You can argue about it , beat your head against the wall. The only cure is to replace them with floating rotors. I have saved the old rotors off the last 4 touring bikes they will be made into an amazing wind chime.

You aint bending no rotor by replacing pads.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've seen a few posts saying rotors can get "warped" by a mechanic, but I've never understood how that occurs. Smokey offers an explanation but Smitty appears to disagree. Frankly, I don't see how it can happen unless the thing doesn't sit properly on the hub. Of course use will take out oem rotors in a parking lot. I use EBC.

Quick Reply: Rear Disc Brake Warped