Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about RK air shock oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM
off the reservation
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about RK air shock oil change

Ok, so, this is my first season on a Harley (first bikeever). I picked up a 2009 Iron. I really like it except for the suspension. So Istarted looking into rear shock replacement options and came across this awesome place. I saw guys here are swapping out stock shocks for the Road King touring air shocks. This was interesting because of the price and how they looked on the bike.
Now from what I’ve read here so far a 13” shock would bebetter for handling more weight on the bike (I clock in around 290). I’m not concerned about the profile of the bike and I’m tall enough to flat foot at stops. So I ordered a pair off eBay model# 54565-09 (G5E3-00).

With the added height is there issue with the kickstand supporting the bike? And how much will this affect the front end. I should mention that the bike has mini apes, forward controls and V&H Shorties.
I would like to change the oil in these shocks and it looks like the stock weight oil is 5wt. Being my size do I want to use a heavier weight oil? I’m seeing guys are using 7.5 and 10wt. What oil weight and what type should I use. I guessing 10wt.. How much oil do I add? I’m seeing 10.8 to 11oz. I have already drained one shock by using a couple 2x4’s and all thread rods to compress it a few times till it was empty. I’m thinking about getting avacuum pump to add the oil.
Thanks in advance for anyone’shelp on these matters.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in the process of doing this myself. I still need to drain mine and I've been doing my research but I'm still having trouble with the whole thing. I haven't even really started anything yet but some of the oil is out. Can you go into greater detail on how you got all the oil out? Maybe post a photo of your setup? It'd really help me out. I'm interested to see how you refill them as well. Sorry I couldn't provide much info. I called the dealer and they tried telling me they're trash and they know nothing about the oil or anything on servicing them haha

Old 08-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have changed the oil in several sets of air shocks. If you take the threaded fitting out of the shock the oil drains fairly easily. Just get something to catch the oil and tilt them or set them upside down for an hour or so and most of the oil will just drain out. You can compress them if you want to but you don't really need to.

For refilling them you want about 10oz in each shock. Use fork oil, HD or any motorcycle fork oil. I used HD SE oil in 10wt. I got a container that was marked in oz's to measure the oil, then used an irrigation syringe, you can get this at most pharmacies. Draw the oil out of the container and slowly ( the key is slowly so it does not overflow) inject it into the shock through the opening where you took the fitting out. Then put the fitting back in and remount the shock. Try not to tip it too much as oil will drain out if you do.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:09 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Thanks a lot Dharn55! I was trying it just now with the fitting on and it drains so slow it's miserable haha. I was going to get some valves so the oil doesn't leak especially since I'll probably run mine at 0 psi. I've read so many crazy ways to do this and this just seems the simplest way with little to no headache. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:36 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is really something you should be asking in the Sportster forum rather than the touring forum as others who have run them on a Sportster will have more experience. When you put them on a Sportster they will behave rather differently for a couple of reasons - for starters you obviously have a much lighter bike, at the same time they will be mounted at a greater angle on a Sportster than any touring bike and this will increase the mechanical advantage which partly negates the weight difference. I ran them on my Dyna and liked them quite a lot - my advice to you is to make sure that what you've bought was capped so the oil doesn't leak out. If your sure that hasn't happened I suggest you run them as is for a while before you consider changing oil......in all likelihood, if nothing has leaked then they will be just fine once you find what pressure you like them at. If they have leaked then you need to drain them completely and refill - there are many threads on how to do this. Chances are you will need to space the right shock a little for belt guard clearance.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:48 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,305 Likes on 854 Posts

You'll make your life a lot easier if you remove and refill the shock oil with a little hand held vacuum pump.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:35 AM
off the reservation
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick 93
sorry I didn't get back to you. gravity draining would take to long for me.
I'll post a pic of what I made to compress the shock latter closer to this evening, it's very crude made out of stuff I had laying around. I've seen some picks of other simpler ideas.
p51bombay
I originally posted this in the sportster forum and they sent me here with the idea that you guys more experience with changing the oil in these. It's working out because I'm getting good responses in both.
foxtrapper
I compressed the shocks a few times till there was minimal to no oil coming out. bought a vacuumed pump on the way home and tried that with the shock extended. then with the pump attached and in suction I compressed the shock. I'm pretty sure I've gotten all the oil out can.

i have a quart of amsoil shock therapy 5wt. and quart of 10wt on the way to my house. should receive next week sometime. the second shock i emptied had close 10oz. in it. but that's minus what I shook out into a motor oil drain pan. I'm thinking actual amount was closer to 11oz. These are 13" shocks.

So my plan for now is to put a shock in my crude vice, compress it and hook up the vacuum pump to it with a full cup of the 10wt oil. Create a vacuum in the compressed shock and release the vacuum to allow the oil to get pulled into the shock. the open the shock a little and repeat till shock is extended or I've put 11oz in it. then cap and mount on the bike. once both shocks are on the bike I will uncap and sit on the bike to compress the shocks with my weight. once the shocks have settled with my weight on them I will put the Schrader air tank valves in the shocks for addition of air as needed.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:06 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,305 Likes on 854 Posts

No need for compressing the shock assembly.

Upside down to drain, right side up to fill. With the typical mighty-vac cup, you'll go through two cycles of vacuum and release to fill with 10-12 oz of oil.

Just stand them up, fill them, and install. No need for anything else.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 508 Posts

those shocks are made for a much heavier bike, i would stick with 5 weight or even look into going lighter,try em first and see if u think u need the extra dampening.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Nick 93
Tourer

Ok so I have a quick and probably stupid question. I have bought the mityvac and I don't understand how to fill the shocks With it. Do I just put some fork oil in the bottle and pump a few times and then use the air release valve? Does it just suck the fork oil into the shock??? Also how do I go about attaching the mityvac to the shock? There are so many attachments and it's a bit overwhelming. Should I use the brake bleeding pieces that are very rubbery? Thanks in advance for any help!

Quick Reply: question about RK air shock oil change