Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air shocks wont hold air

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 AM
chadk
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
Default air shocks wont hold air

So since I have yet to put a gauge on my shocks yet, I was at the dealership last night and asked if I could borrow the air pump and check the pressure.

hooked the pump up and saw that there was basically 0 pressure. A few pumps and the needle went up, but air leaked right back out.

So I am going to remove the seat tonight and try and follow the air lines to see if I can see a leak or possibly a disconnection. Anything else I need to look for or be aware of?

Old 09-17-2015, 08:14 AM
UltraClassicWNY
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, Everything I have been reading on this forum all points to these shocks being junk. I too have original air shocks and they will leak down over a couple days. I bought my bike from a dealer and it is going in Sat for warped front rotors and brake pads under the 30 day warranty. I might mention my shock problem and see if they replace them or I might just upgrade to a better shock.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:19 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can try brushing some soapy water at all the connections and see if you can spot a leak. I had a small leak in a line at the elbow fitting that wouldn't show up with the soapy water. I pulled the tubes out and re-cut the ends of the air lines with a razor blade and reinstalled and no more leaks. Also check the valve for leaks.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a similar issue with a set of mine. Took all the air lines off to inspect, saw nothing and reassembled, then it worked fine.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

got to napa or the equiv and buy a long neck screw in valve stem. remove qd air stem and install the valve stem directly into the shock. Air up... I did this mod moons ago.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:38 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Stock shocks suck for 2 up full grown people, I keep a HD pump in my bag . Air leaks down after a long ride to about 40 lbs.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Not a surprise they lost some air when still new, I had to air mine up a couple times, then they were problem free for years til I Traded it in.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chadk
So since I have yet to put a gauge on my shocks yet, I was at the dealership last night and asked if I could borrow the air pump and check the pressure.

hooked the pump up and saw that there was basically 0 pressure. A few pumps and the needle went up, but air leaked right back out.

So I am going to remove the seat tonight and try and follow the air lines to see if I can see a leak or possibly a disconnection. Anything else I need to look for or be aware of?
If you want the leaks to stop, install schrader valves in each shock and throw the air line and manifold away. It is less convenient to check but you'll find you don't need to check it near as often unless your changing air pressure for load. Also, ignore any silliness you might hear about the need for the shocks to be manifolded together.

If you're dead set on keeping the single fill point, check all connections with soapy water. When you find the leak, trim the line above the kink put a dab of vaseline on the end of the line before reassembling.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:31 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I found this to be very normal as well. Plus even at 50 pounds they are not very good for two-up as people stated. I installed a pair of progressive 444's and it way better. Bit of a hassle to remove the bags to adjust for two-up so generally I just leave them adjusted for that unless I am going on a long ride solo.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:40 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Spray bottle with soapy water, spray lines, fittings, everything.
My stock shocks have never leaked, psi stays the same. I adjust mine for solo, then two up, always stays where I leave them.

Quick Reply: air shocks wont hold air