Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fogging Glasses and Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,933 Likes on 8,435 Posts
Default Fogging Glasses and Windshield

I get caught in the rain occasionally and my biggest problem is not being able to see unless I take my glasses off and squint in the rain while looking over the windshield.
My glasses will fog up instantly with the least amount of rain and my windshield follows a few minutes later. I've tried the H-D stuff on my windshield and it works great as long as the bike stays in the garage when it rains. I've tried the anti fog wipe clothes and they're a waste of money. The most effective but doesn't last very long is spit but I gotta keep wiping my glasses with my finger every couple of minutes.
Wearing goggles doesn't help. They fog up on both sides and I have to try to remove them while riding and put them somewhere so I can take my glasses off.
Does anybody have a better answer for this problem.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

A pinlock helmet wont fog up.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

When my full face visor fogs up I wipe a bit of shaving foam on the inside. It's an old fix from eons ago but it works for me. Just did it last Friday on a trip back from Montana. I hit a rainstorm at Allison Pass on hwy 3 in southern BC and problem solved. Might work on your glasses too.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bar of soap also works, I keep a bar in my saddle bag during the winter. I remembered that when I was a kid and the mirrors would steam up in the bathroom and I would write on them with a bar of soap. I have also used shaving cream, a small travel one from the drug store. If you use the shaving cream (gel like edge works better I think) be sure to keep it in a plastic bag in case it decides to burst if it gets too hot.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:11 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Wear a full face in the rain, mine doesn't fog up if the vents are open.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Don't ride in the rain...

JK, I have a bottle of glasses cleaner from, of all places, Wal Mart. I has anti-fog properties and has never failed me. Works in summer (rain/humidity) and winter.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Goldwingers have been using this stuff, I bought some at a Honda Store and it works pretty good. Small bottle goes a long way. MotoMask. Works like RainX, but safe for polycarbonate.
Tip: Do the inside of your windshield too, I figured that one out pretty quick in the rain. Front of windshield was doing great, rain just stuck on my side of the shield!
Both sides treated, all goes well.
Small bottle is easy to carry in the bags, wrap it in a clean microfiber towel, be ready.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:01 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Fogging occurs when your warm moisture filled breath condenses on the cool surface of the lenses or shield. Try to reduce getting your breath on the inside of the shield or glasses by:
Opening your shield a small amount
When slowing or stopping, open the shield
Opening your vents on your helmet
Getting a face cover, bandanna or a neoprene or cotton face cover that directs your breath under your chin.
Never slow down!
Try soft soap or a very thin and wiped clean film of Vaseline.
Move to a warmer climate.

I use the cotton bandanna style method to direct my hot steamy breath away from my glasses. I never had much luck with soap or Vaseline unless I held my breath.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Fogging occurs when your warm moisture filled breath condenses on the cool surface of the lenses or shield. Try to reduce getting your breath on the inside of the shield or glasses by:
Opening your shield a small amount
When slowing or stopping, open the shield
Opening your vents on your helmet
Getting a face cover, bandanna or a neoprene or cotton face cover that directs your breath under your chin.
Never slow down!
Try soft soap or a very thin and wiped clean film of Vaseline.
Move to a warmer climate.

I use the cotton bandanna style method to direct my hot steamy breath away from my glasses. I never had much luck with soap or Vaseline unless I held my breath.
Or, as I said, use a helmet with a pinlock sheild

Old 09-30-2015, 08:11 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,933 Likes on 8,435 Posts

Looks like all good stuff. I've tried the soap thing but it didn't work in the summer rain. There is a rice burner shop in town. I'll go in and see if they have that Moto stuff.

Quick Reply: Fogging Glasses and Windshield