Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts/comments on this battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,635 Posts
Old 11-15-2015, 12:27 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/743-848

I saw this one on j&p.....625 ca, wow

Old 11-15-2015, 02:26 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Something like these batteries will be the way of the future.
I think I would skip on it just yet, give it a little more time.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

All the bugs been worked out of lithium ion battery charging?

Personally... for $89.00 shipped via fedex I'm happier than a pig in S H I T.

http://gas2.org/2013/02/05/long-term...cle-batteries/

Old 11-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Will standard battery tenders work on this type of battery?

Old 11-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Yes, so long as they do not have an auto desulfation mode and there are some other pulse charge chargers that can't be used either.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
Yes, so long as they do not have an auto desulfation mode and there are some other pulse charge chargers that can't be used either.
Ok, thanks - so specifically, a Battery Tender Jr, the common ones?

Old 11-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

you are good with the Jr. it doesn't have auto desulfation nor does it pulse.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:01 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Just read on Deltran site (Battery Tender) that they have a model for Lipo so my first guess would be no the one you have now will not be safe on Lithium Ion. Safe bet is to contact J&P and ask their tech support if your battery tender or jr. would be suitable.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:21 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

====================

Well at 2x-3x more money then a quality deka/big crank maint free agm 400ccs battery that lasts on avg 4.5-6yrs and in some cases 6.5-7yrs i'd not bother it.

They claim it has 2x longer srvc,thats not nearly been proven in real world app in a motorcycle that i am ware of where a lith motorcycle batteryof this design type consistantly lasts 2x+ longer them the quality deka agm 400cca battery does which would = the lith bike battery supposedly lasts min of 9yrs to max of 13-14 yrs .

I have yet to see more then 1 lith bike battery that has gone 9-14yrs before going belly up.

March 2009 I personally installed a deka agm maint free batt in my friends 05 Yami R* that i maintain for him thats got a lrg 1700cc old school air cooled v-twin and its still going strong 6.5 yrs later without ever once going dead showing no sign of slowing down any time soon which you can but today for $99 to you door.

Bet that battery is going to go 7-7.5 yrs NP to possibly 8 yrs and he doesnt own and maint charger either ,the bike sits in a detached garage for winter here in upsate NY and 6-7months later fires right up in spring with no charging,hard tro belive but true.

I installed the same battery in the kawi kz1000 i bought new in 1977 & just sold Feb 2015 ,that battery was in the for over 7yrs and still spun it over very well never having gone dead .

That type maint free AGM battery design has proven itslef to be a veru reliable long lasting battery over the yrs its been on the market but the lith bike batteries have yet to prove they can consistantly match a quality agm bike batt srvc life of 4.5-5yrs to max of 6.5-7+ yr let along the lith bike batt mfgs claim they have a minimum of 2x longer srvc life of 9-10yrs at a min to 13-14yrs at a max srvc life .

When the lit bike batt mfgs get their 2x-3x more expensive batteries to consistantly last 5yrs+ to once in a while 6.5-7yrs like the proven agm batteries do then i will start to get interested in them let along their staright up claim of 2x srvc life that has yet to be ofte & consistantly proven from rel bikers here in hdfirums as more the norm which has yet to happen here.

I have belonged to another online bike forum since 2009 and over the past almost 7 yrs a few guys have bitten the bullet and tried the 2x-3x more expensive lithium bike batteries with mixed results and not of them stating they got over 3-3.5 yrs srv'c life out of the lit bike battery not comming even close to their 2x longer srvc life calim vs a quality maint free agm bike battery for mless then $100 to your door.

Unless you have a custom app that requires smaller battery or less wt the lith bike batt's on market todays have yet to prove they can consistantly meet or beat the avg amg bike batt srvc life let along going 2x longer on srvc life .

So with that said IMHO lit bike batteries are not yet worth buying esp at 2x-3x cost with an unproven track record for matching srvc life to good quality deka or original from factory hd agm battery let alone having 2x longer srvc life claim that the mfg got in test lab conditions that has yet to be proven in real world riding in an HD min thats consistantly ridden in 95-100+ deg heat and or in colder 35-40 deg f temp that are temps that are known temp ranges that give litium batteries problems performing in thats a totally dif story then lab testing IMHO.

Thats coming from 4+ decades diagnosing / testing battery & charging systems along with in more recent times keeping up with/researching newer gen batteries on the market in motorcyle & automotive industry so i have a good background under my belt to draw on that led to the opinion i have on the lith bike batteries that are currently on the market .

Get the cost down on lith bike batteries along with also getting them to consistently have an avg srvc life of 5-6 yrs (esp with higher cost) then i will be more likely take note of lith bike batteries.

But for now why bother with the lithium bike batteries still unproven in real world to have consistent 2x longer srv'c life vs agm bike batteries as lithium bike batt mfg's claim when i can get reliable quality 400 cca agm batt for less then $100 that will easily last 4.5-5yrs or more @ 2x-3x less money .

And if you need more CCA for a hi compression setup a there are also higher power hi perf 500-600cca agm batteries avail for still 1/2 the cost/$150 vs unproven 2x longer srvc life claims from lithium batt mfg's @ 2x more money then the high power 500-600cca agm batteries.

Just doesnt make sense to go the lithium bike battery route at this time IMHO due to 2x-3x more cost with yet to be proven (well at least to me!/lol!) having a consistant 4.5-5yr+ svc life on avg like quality agm bike batt's have proven over the yrs let alone the lith batt mfg's claim of 2x longer srv'c life .

That 2x longer srv'c life claim by lith bike mfg's would be a minimum of 9-10yrs to a max of 13-14yrs (vs agm avg srv'c life) which no lithium bike batt mfg that i am aware of has proven to be fact in real world apps/use like i stated earlier in this post like having a lith bike batteries in HD's that are often ridden in 95-100deg f heat & or in 35-40 deg colder temp that are temp ranges that given lithium ion bike batteries problems consistently having same srv'c life as a quality agm bike batt does let alone 2x longer all being in real world apps in hD being ridden on the street & not in controlled lab test cond thats a totally diff animal IMHO.

Enough said!/LOL!!!

Scott

Quick Reply: Thoughts/comments on this battery?