Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ipod

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Purp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ipod

I have a sony mp3 walkman .. about the size of your thumb 2G .. plugs in to the aux and run the wire to the right side glove box an the Road glide .. 360 titles in it .. so I am good for about 18 hour of riding .. oh yeah .. battery last for 28 hours .. charge time .. fully charges in 25 minutes .. in a usb port ..
Got ta love it .. and the best is its 1/2 the price of an ipod

Old 05-12-2007, 09:13 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is my solution...

[IMG]local://upfiles/20949/479E5448978646F1BA8F2D53FCA73CD9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2007, 12:41 PM
frittsk
Tourer

This is a really clean setup. It is much smaller than most and is chrome. Some that I have seen are big and bulky and ar made of black plastic material. All you need with this is a case for your iPod that has a belt clip. http://www.formotionproducts.com/clipit.htm

Old 05-12-2007, 01:54 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i use a mp3 player all the time (21,000 songs) i use a pouch mounted to my windsheild stereo cases that i custom make myself. here is a few pics. i know its not a touring model bike, might give you some ideas though. jackyl

[IMG]local://upfiles/8042/395384DC3F96482C9152CE5E99FE9D7F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8042/485C7EAF6EE1477B9EDCB8B15CCBD0A6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8042/0E556E525EB3418EA577CE5B7CC72969.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2007, 03:40 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little dab of velcro holds my shuffle. Plug it into the AUX jack and you are good to go.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:50 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally .... I would NOT recommend using an IPOD mounted to the bars or any area which can 'vibrate'. Safest place for an iPod or iPod MINI(not made anymore) would be in your jacket pocket.

the problem with IPODS and touring bikes is the vibration from the rubber-mounted engine. that type of vibration is very hard (especially at idle speeds where the bars tend to shake more violently) on the iPOD's Hard Disk.

If people want to mount IPODS to the bars with whatever mount/enclosure I would ONLY recommend the iPod Nano (small and color screen) or even the Shuffle. The IPOD NANO and Shuffle are solid-state iPODs (Meaning no true moving parts or Hard Drive). vibration shouldn't have much affect on it at all. In fact the Shuffle is nothing more than a little memory card enclosed in a simplistic MP3 player.

I'm not saying iPods/iPod-Picture/iPod-Video aren't rugged to some degree but you have to realize you are talking about riding with a true portable Hard Drive that plays music. the sensitivity that Hard Drives have is incredible and it isn't made for such 'jarring' on a consistant basis. I've seen all kinds of 'mounts' for the iPods and I think they are 'generally' fine for Mounted-n-balanced engines as there is very little, if any, vibration on the bars/frame until high speeds.

Seeing posts about throwing them in a 'lined glove box' or mounted on the bars(lots of different mounts and 'foam cases for them' is in all reality a 'bad idea' for touring bikes. Some have made arguments about "well people jog with them on their waist or arm'. Sure this is true but the body doesn't 'jar' the iPod so violently, as a touring bike can do at idle/Low-RPMs, and cushins each step. The best way to 'dampen' the shaking when at idle is to generally place it on something that can not allow it to vibrate so much. A jacket pocket is ideal in many aspects because our bodies are a great 'cushioning' mass for the device. Our bodies absorb most of the shock of the vibrations at idle/low-RPMs.

I'm sure some will say they have been using their iPod for several years without issue. and I'm sure there are a lot that can take the punishment but Last thing I would want is to be out there trippin with my iPod and have it go dead because it took one shock too many.

I would much rather get a cheap Solid-State type of MP3 player or a Nano/shuffle and use that. The disadvantage of a Shuffle is no 'screen' and not much in the way of playlists etc. The Nano, while Small can be mounted and still accessed well even though it too is a little smaller in size.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:53 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an Ipod nano, and I stick it on the "dashboard" just the the right of the ignition switch, using velcro. So far it stays "ok", but I find myself looking down every minute or so to make sure it is still there. Walmart brand velcro isn't very confidence inspiring.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

i didnt use an ipod ever (even though we had 2 nano's in the house). while i dont have a radio on the RKC- i wore my iriver (knock off ipod) a couple times while riding.

well- i got a brand new ipod shuffle (for free) and i can honestly say that i use that thing every damn day.

walking the dog, washing the cars/bike, mowing the lawn..... all the time.

i love it (and i use limewire)

Old 05-13-2007, 02:05 AM
US Rider
Cruiser

I have an I-Pod with hard drive. I keep it in my jacket pocket to protect the hard drive from the vibration it would incur if it was solid mounted. I use Etymotic ER-6 headphones. Pricey but sound good and they seal out ambient noise as well as most ear plugs. Plus you don't have to run the volume way up to hear them. A remote called an iJet plugs into the bottom of the I-Pod (reciever), I clip the remote onto my right glove so I can reach it with myleft hand. The remote could be attached somewhere easily. Remote functions: Pause, Volume, Skip Forward, Skip Backwards. Earbuds and remote purchased from www.Aerostich.com.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:04 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using MP3 5gb hard-drive type player - Velcroed to inside of my right glove box I also ran a aux. power supply to both glove boxes - Works GREAT...

Quick Reply: ipod