Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hiking backpack/ dual use

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:39 AM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hiking backpack/ dual use

I currently use my Karyaken soft tour pack (I think it is called The Full Dresser?) and love all the room it has etc.. I like it coming off easy too. I usually ride with a solo seat even. but even on trips it is nice to just take it off, and head in..
anyway, I am setting up for really stealth or rustic camping. Have my hammock for camping, UQ, TQ, tarp, etc. But now am thinking it would be nice to have a REAL backpack for everything. One that I can just take OFF the scoot and put on my back before heading out to get real lost! Anyone have any experience with putting a backpack on their bike? I imagine it works o.k.? I wonder if there are things I should watch for and watch OUT for when shopping for a pack?

Old 12-29-2015, 01:08 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

http://www.codealphagearplus.com/product/9979-ACU

I have an older version of that in coyote that I use. Great since it expands, has straps on the side for larger items, and on the bottom as well. also has a hip strap for actual hiking and space for a camel back.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:21 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

Visit an REI store. The following link will take you to their BackPack Page: http://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-pac...king-backpacks

Old 12-29-2015, 02:46 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,569 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Another option is to take a look at T-Bags products. Some of their products come with padded backpack straps stored in a hidden, zippered compartment.
For instance, their Lone Star Universal Travel Bag.

http://tbags.com/sissy-bar/lone-star...g-url-key.html

I'm also a hiker and enjoy backpacking (not really into ultralight) but never really thought about attaching my Gregory Mountain Pack to my bike. Not sure how stable it would be. The T-Bags have that "pocket" that fits over the sissy bar pad.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I have. I had an old 1980 GS1100 that I would drive back and forth from Minnesota to Arkansas. Back in the day I used to backpack a ton. I had some old soft bags and step up seat with a backrest. I would just build everything up and set the back pack on and strap to the backrest. You could also snap the belts closed around another bag and then strap it down or tuck the belt away and lay it down back padding.down. Just make it fit somehow and strap it all down. They make such a variety of pack and gear these days. Look on Craigslist. The only thing good about rei is that they will help fit you and you have a year to return it. Shoot I could sell you some of my gear. What state,weather will there be in? Probably won't find a lot of rain proof bags on CL cause it's reletively new technology but would probably want to think of that. Could try a canoe bag. They are designed to lay like that but have back straps for portaging, kind sucks on the back though and not fun to carry.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I would probably skip the hammock and just lay a tarp down...or check out a bivy sack. Take a look at tourtech you might get some ideas.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:17 AM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Default Tourtech

Originally Posted by SnoRider
I would probably skip the hammock and just lay a tarp down...or check out a bivy sack. Take a look at tourtech you might get some ideas.
Tourtech:thanx brother. I'll check em out. Can't ditch the hammock. It is all AROUND the hammock camping:-). Once you do it you'll never want to sleep on the ground again! It's great. And the possibilities of where (bad terrain etc) are endless then too. Again thanx

Old 12-29-2015, 08:22 AM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Default North Indiana almost mi

sounds like what I am picturing in my mind will work! Just replacing that Karyaken with a backpack. Appreciate the waterproof tip. I didn't know.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

A lot of motorcycle touring bags come with backpack straps, but I don't think they are meant for backwoods backpacking and probably will not be very comfortable or durable.

The simplest thing would be to figure out how to strap down an actual backpacking backpack to your bike. Shouldn't be that hard with ratchet straps and/or cinch straps.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 AM
SGMongoose
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty7flh
Tourtech:thanx brother. I'll check em out. Can't ditch the hammock. It is all AROUND the hammock camping:-). Once you do it you'll never want to sleep on the ground again! It's great. And the possibilities of where (bad terrain etc) are endless then too. Again thanx
I agree, hammocks are the way to go, comfortable and pack up smaller then a tarp. The only downfall i found is if its a bit windy my back gets a bit of a chill.

I can't recommend how to strap it down, but if you don't already have a backpack, i'm a big fan of Osprey bags. Readily available and easily warranted if you should need it. Most of them come with rain covers too. Check out their travel series, not as comfortable for extended hikes, but would probably sit better on a seat and sissy bar. The porter series is what i use instead of rolling carry on luggage for travel now and i'll never go back.

Quick Reply: hiking backpack/ dual use