Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:37 PM
smitty8202
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term storage

I am currently on active duty in the Marine Corps stationed in Southern California. I have received orders to Okinawa, Japan for 3 years. I have a 2008 street glide and will not be able to take it with me. I plan on taking the bike back home to my parents to store it but no one I know rides. What are some thing I can do to the bike to prepare it for 3 years of not being rode. I do plan on putting it on a battery tender and putting some carpet under the tires so they are not in contact with the ground.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Three years of sitting is not going to be good if there is nobody to ride it occasionally. Have you considered selling it? There are definitely some things you could do to help, but in 3 years the fuel is going to be bad and I would be concerned about rust in the tank. Seals and gaskets are going to go bad from sitting. The battery will likely be trash in 3 years anyway so I don't really see the point of putting it on a tender to be honest. Even if the tires are not in contact with the ground I would still expect them to dry rot to some extent.. I think the lifespan of most tires is usually in the 5 year range according to most manufacturers.. and they will likely go flat or get flat spots from sitting.

Even if your parents could start it occasionally without being ridden and going through that fuel every 6 months to a year I think is going to still be a problem.

Possibly check with a local dealer to see if they know of anything other folks who have been deployed for long periods have done.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Be sure to put the alarm system in the storage mode. Make sure fluids are fresh before storage...Good luck in OKinawa.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:06 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

Sell it, or better yet take it with you.
A lot of guys do that.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:24 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Drain the gas and then run the system dry, use a marine fogging oil to coat the inside of the gas tank, pull the plugs and fog the inside of the cylinders then re-install the plugs, yank the battery and either give it away or recycle it, change the lubricants in all three holes, give her a good wax, put the bike up in the air on a stand or jack of some type, plug the ends of the mufflers with steel wool for rodents, toss a cover over her, sit back have a beer or three and say goodbye for 3 years.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:41 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

With that length of storage, I would get a motorcycle/ATV jack and get it up in the air and then tie it down so it will not fall over. You will want to take the weight off the suspension and tires if it will not move for over 3 years.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

There's no reason a bike can't be stored long term without any harm. I've stored one for several years. Had no problems. Have a friend that stored an '96 FXSTC for 10 years. After prepping, it fired right up. Some collectors store bikes for a lot longer than 3 years. They don't have problems. Just get it ready for long term sleep. It'll be fine.

Drain engine oil, brake fluid, and gasoline. Remove battery. Fill tires to std psi. Store the bike in an area that's dry and cool and critter free . Then cover it with a breathable fabric cover. If you have a lift, put it up. When ready after 3 years, refill fluids, install a new battery, check tires, and go. Wash it if it's a little dusty though.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

We have other members who are stationed in Japan, hopefully one of them will find this. Better still post in the General area for help from fellow members in Japan. There is surely a way you can take your bike with you, otherwise I agree that it would be better to sell it.

If you decide to keep it I would remove the battery from the bike. Frankly it is a waste of time putting it on a tender, due to the time you'll be away. As mentioned you'll need tyres when you return, plus a battery, at the very least.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:55 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Drain the gas and then run the system dry, use a marine fogging oil to coat the inside of the gas tank, pull the plugs and fog the inside of the cylinders then re-install the plugs, yank the battery and either give it away or recycle it, change the lubricants in all three holes, give her a good wax, put the bike up in the air on a stand or jack of some type, plug the ends of the mufflers with steel wool for rodents, toss a cover over her, sit back have a beer or three and say goodbye for 3 years.

best i've read so far. I don't know if its right or not, but I think I would fill each hole for fluid as full as possible. make a note of it on the bike in case you decide to sell within the 3 yrs so next owner would know... yea and suspect the battery, tires, brake fluid will be shot in that length of time. Good luck to you, and thanks for your service!

kroozeabout...................bunch more postings while I was typing..more good advice.

Last edited by t. sawyer; 01-04-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:05 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,075 Posts

First of all thanks for the service you provide.

Where do your parents live if you're planning on storing the bike there? Perhaps an HDF member nearby can take it out every now and then. If it was in NC, I'd be happy to do that as I ride year-round.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Long term storage