Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 road king stage 1 the right way.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Zackattack88
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 road king stage 1 the right way.

I have a 07 road king with 24xxx on it. I purchased it last weekend and they said it has slip ons and a tune. I plan to get a SE or k&n intake and figuring out if I have a tuner on board because the dealership didn't seem to know what the tune meant. I will be keeping it at a stage one only and seems like dyno tune is the way to go. I got it for cruising and longevity, not to hot rod and make fast as hell. From exp, what's the way to go with stock head pipes, slip ons, and a intake? All opinions welcome and thanks in advance! Oh and it lightly pops occasionally on decel, not a back fire but little pops and not every time. I want it to last and aware of the lean condition but it seems pretty smooth, I do have a heat sensor gun if anyone knows ideal cyl temps.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to HDF. I too have an 07 RK and it's been a great bike. Only real issue that I've had in 45000 miles is the "Y" pipe cracking at the rear cylinder. This may be the source of the popping you are hearing. Inspect yours. Insofar as a tune it probably has the dealer stage 1 download. I just invested in a Power Vision and my bike has never run better. They are a forum sponsor and provide incredible support. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Zackattack88
Novice

Awesome thanks, I went Harley for the sound and craftsmanship. After 95 miles yesterday me and the girly are in love. Was thinking about going true duals and for sure will if it's cracked, although duals don't really provide power increase without cams. So I heard. But I am told duals sound awesome and I'm all about that sound. Any way that I can tell it's been tuned? Thank you!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:33 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,958 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Zackattack88
I have a 07 road king with 24xxx on it. I purchased it last weekend and they said it has slip ons and a tune. I plan to get a SE or k&n intake and figuring out if I have a tuner on board because the dealership didn't seem to know what the tune meant. I will be keeping it at a stage one only and seems like dyno tune is the way to go. I got it for cruising and longevity, not to hot rod and make fast as hell. From exp, what's the way to go with stock head pipes, slip ons, and a intake? All opinions welcome and thanks in advance! Oh and it lightly pops occasionally on decel, not a back fire but little pops and not every time. I want it to last and aware of the lean condition but it seems pretty smooth, I do have a heat sensor gun if anyone knows ideal cyl temps.
Congrats on your new to you ride!

Here's a link to a good overview of Stage I options, the hows & whys-

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Over...-STG-I-FAQ.htm

On a longer run, 30 minutes or more, your oil temp and head temps should stabilize right about the same temperature. Ideally that will be between 210 and 230 degrees. Unfortunately most come from the factory with the temps up around 300 degrees. This is terrible for performance and for engine longevity.

There is no one thing you can do that will take it from the factory temps down to a good temp, just a lot of little things that all add up to getting it down to where it will be happy (210-230)

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-07-2016, 06:34 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Awesome thanks, I went Harley for the sound and craftsmanship. After 95 miles yesterday me and the girly are in love. Was thinking about going true duals and for sure will if it's cracked, although duals don't really provide power increase without cams. So I heard. But I am told duals sound awesome and I'm all about that sound. Any way that I can tell it's been tuned? Thank you!
If you have an add on tuner it is likely behind the right side cover or under the seat.
If it has the stock air cleaner it either has the dealer flash or no actual tune.
Another give away is if you can get the motor to rev to about 6200 or close to it, it has some sort of tune.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Zackattack88
Novice

Ok then next on the list is better breather and a tuner. Anyone have advice on a good stage 1 tuner? I will not be goin any bigger than a stage 1 so that can be taken into account. I'm happy with the power just want my engine to last.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok then next on the list is better breather and a tuner. Anyone have advice on a good stage 1 tuner? I will not be goin any bigger than a stage 1 so that can be taken into account. I'm happy with the power just want my engine to last.
Did you check to see if you have an add on tuner?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Zackattack88
Novice

Yes I looked and didn't see anything. Looking at maybe picking up the new air cleaner and a power commander pcv and getting it dyno tuned. Just searching around for reputable dyno guys near twin cities. Really am just looking for it to run cooler and see a small power gain. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,958 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Yes I looked and didn't see anything. Looking at maybe picking up the new air cleaner and a power commander pcv and getting it dyno tuned. Just searching around for reputable dyno guys near twin cities. Really am just looking for it to run cooler and see a small power gain. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Here's a basic stage I kit with a top of the line air cleaner. LINK

Here's a bit higher performance Stage I kit, with a top of the line air cleaner and a PV Tuner with auto-tune, that can also be tuned on a Dyno. LINK

Old 03-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I have seen, go with gear drive cams. Those plastic cam chain shoes wear out quickly and can damage your oil pump and if left your motor. I'm doing a full service in May before I really start riding and having the oil filter cut open to see if its full of plastic. If it is, I'll have to do the gear drive before and not after the riding season. I'd like to hold off if I can till next winter. Gots to wait on the money.

Quick Reply: 07 road king stage 1 the right way.