Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy to Road King - First Ever Touring - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 02:26 PM
HarkinsBG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy to Road King - First Ever Touring - Impressions

Hello,

Longtime lurker here coming over from the Softail forum, and wanted to share my impressions.

Before I go any further I should note that I'm 6'4" and 265lbs, so in addition to how the ride felt I wanted to gauge how the bike fit me before we start talking about mods for comfort (more on that in a future thread).

About a week ago I went to the local dealer and had a look at the 2016 Road King, Street Glide and Road Glide. All three were at the very front of the dealership right as I walked through the door, so I didn't have to look far. I sat on all three and took the Road King and Street Glide for a ride. There was a black Road King right as I walked in that I was enamored with the moment I saw it - something I can't say I experienced with the other two bikes. I took the Road King for a spin first and, in addition to the classic styling I really enjoyed the way the bike handled - that is, compared to the Fatboy, which I had to fight to get into a corner, a modest press on either side of the handlebar and I was rounding corners with ease on the RK. There's also the small matter of the fantastic ride and hardly feeling any bumps going down the road. I next rode the Street Glide, and while the ride was similar to the Road King, what was not was the cramped feeling I had while on the SG - likely due to the fairing and the bars. Finally, I sat on the Road Glide and had the exact same impression as I had on the SG - cramped and uncomfortable. Long story short, I rode off the lot with the 16 Road King with ABS and security.

I've since been riding around for a good week, a nice, even mix between city and highway riding, and my impressions of the bike follow.

Power - I'm coming from having a 103 Stage 3 with ported heads, and the HO 103 really surprised me. Even for stock, there's lots of power on tap and I can be at the desired speed very quickly and smoothly. I'm interested to see what happens when I start doing some engine upgrades.

Ride/Comfort - I have to make a few adjustments to the seat and handlebars, but for the stock experience coming from a Softail, the ride is very comfortable. I feel little to no bumps or jolts going down the road and the bike tracks in a laser-straight line with no front end wobble (an issue I experienced frequently with the Fatboy).

Style - this one's a no-brainer. I love how this bike looks. The classic styling and the black and all the chrome really make for spontaneous urges to head out to the garage for a look at the bike. The bike is also begging for apes and a 21in spoked front wheel.

All in all, I am very happy with this bike and had no idea what I was missing. I should have made the transition sooner, but now that I'm here I'm certain this bike is staying in the family.

Attached Thumbnails Fatboy to Road King - First Ever Touring - Impressions-img_1093.jpg   Fatboy to Road King - First Ever Touring - Impressions-img_1094.jpg   Fatboy to Road King - First Ever Touring - Impressions-img_1096.jpg  
Old 04-09-2016, 03:04 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Congrats!!! I did something really really similar last month... rode into a dealership on a Slim and rode out on a '16 Road King. I didn't test ride a Road Glide because the looks just put me off. My test ride on the Street Glide just felt a little front heavy in slow speed maneuvers and while I can flat foot both the RK and the SG the SG felt maybe just a little too low for me.

Every once in a while at a stoplight I find myself a little wistful of the smoother idling softail but over I'm really loving the Road King!

Old 04-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Grizz02
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the new bike brother. Your right about the ride of the touring bikes, I had a sportster before I got my road king and wow what a difference in ride there was.

Enjoy the new ride brother she's a beauty

Old 04-09-2016, 04:06 PM
13RKC
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on your new bike. It sure is beautiful! Road kings are my hands down favorite bikes.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:06 PM
keithl3030
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice bike and they didn't put white walls on it!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the touring section.... and congratulations! I'm sure the forum will be interested to see what you do to her. I came from a rice burner to an SG and I too, wonder why I didn't make the change a long time ago. Ride safe and wipe that damn smile off your face!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm partial to Road Kings, I like the classic look and like a windshield over a fairing, just me. I rode a FatBoy for sometime and enjoyed the right , just not as much as the touring bikes. I have a 13 RKC, was my first new bike, all other bikes have been used. I'm 64 and have never owned a new car or truck so when my wife gave me the Road King for Christmas I was pretty happy with it and still am.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:31 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

First off, I would like to welcome to the Forum, and the Touring family.

You have a nice review, and assessment of the three touring Bikes that you look at.
I hope when you were test riding the Road King (RK) that the windshield was in place.
I also trust that over the week of riding you have been on the highway for some miles
to assess protection the windshield affords you at higher speeds. The good news is that
you can also remove that same windshield. I think the first modifications should be for
rider & passenger comfort. such things as Handlebars, or Footboard extensions, maybe
back rest, it goes on and on, you know the drill.

Your RK will evolve over time, keep us posted.

Last edited by OldPhat; 04-09-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats on the ride. Same here, Heritage to Ultra years ago. Still like the Heritage, but it feels tiny now when I ride one. 6' 4" 265 36-36 riding jeans and 14 boot. I now own a '14 Ultra Limited with a CVO Limited heated seat, 10" bars and highway pegs. It's all I will need to do. 570 mile trip only stopped for gas and lunch and when we got home I felt I could go another 5,000. Will be doing a 3,000 mile trip this summer. Hopefully it goes as well as it seems it would. Worst thing about the bike is the fact that it won't be worth much with all the miles I'm putting on. Guess I'll be keeping it for a while.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:06 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to the Kingdom

Quick Reply: Fatboy to Road King - First Ever Touring - Impressions