Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Experienced Riders Course vs. Ride Like A Pro DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:51 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF Experienced Riders Course vs. Ride Like A Pro DVD

I am planning on taking the MSF Experienced Riders Course(ERC) this summer. I'm also registered to take the MSF Basic Riders Course as a refresher, I already went through it 6 years ago. Anyhow I was wondering if the information taught in the MSF ERC is similar to the Ride Like A Pro DVD? I've been considering buying the DVD but if it's just the same info then I'll save the $35. Anybody do the ERC and own the DVD care to offer their thoughts/experience? Thanks.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Dogwood
Tourer
Default RE: MSF Experienced Riders Course vs. Ride Like A Pro DVD

You don't need to takethe Basic Course again, the ERC will be just fine, even after 6 years.
Either way, you should get the RLaPDVD also, there are things not taught in the ERC.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: bdjhog

I am planning on taking the MSF Experienced Riders Course(ERC) this summer. I'm also registered to take the MSF Basic Riders Course as a refresher, I already went through it 6 years ago. Anyhow I was wondering if the information taught in the MSF ERC is similar to the Ride Like A Pro DVD? I've been considering buying the DVD but if it's just the same info then I'll save the $35. Anybody do the ERC and own the DVD care to offer their thoughts/experience? Thanks.
Buying the DVD alone will not improve your riding skills; however, buying it and practicing the exercises they demonstrate will advance your riding skills quite a bit, assuming you have average skills now.

I viewed buying the DVD as worth the money as it gives me a guidline of practice exercises to improve my own skills along with a good explanation of how to do them. Some of the things they teach on the DVD are similar to the ERC but some are different and more varied. If you can ride like some of the people on that video, your friends will definately notice it.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:30 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: swestbrook60

Buying the DVD alone will not improve your riding skills; however, buying it and practicing the exercises they demonstrate will advance your riding skills quite a bit
I think that goes without saying. I wouldn't expect to gain anything from either the ERC or the DVD without actually practicing those skills on my bike.

Basically my reasons for taking the ERC and considering the DVD are that I've found my confidence on my new Street Glide to be less than acceptable. I've been riding now since 2001. Started on a Buell then a Sporty till last year when I bought the Street Glide. Although I feel comfortable on the Street Glide while riding on the road, it's the riding in slow moving traffic, in parking lots, ect. where I'm going less than 10 mph where I feel a bit clumbsy on the bike. Part of that has to do with a reach issue as I have a really short inseam. I'm dealing with that by sending a seat out to Allen at Mean City Cycles to have it reshaped. But the rest just seems to be an issue of maintaining proper balance on the bike at very slow speeds. I'm hoping that the ERC course and perhaps the DVD will help me in that area.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The ERC course will give you a fair idea of where your riding skills are now. So, unless you have a lot of time on your hands, you would be better served IMHO buying the RLAP DVD and using the 2.5 days that the BRC would taketo watch the DVD and practice the exercises it contains.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:45 PM
jjsanta
Tourer

The ERC will give you some great tips and practice for slow speed riding. Looking where you want to go, dragging the rear brake, etc.... This is the strongest part of the ERC as far as I am concerned. It's not as intensive as the Ride Like a Pro DVDs, but it will give you a starting point. Once you take the ERC you can then go ahead and practice the exercises on the DVD with much more confidence.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 PM
badlandr
Road Captain

I agree with the above replys
I did about the same as you I rode a Sportster for years then bought a Road King and took the Advance rider course and in one day I discovered all in needed to transition to the RK confortablely. The MSF Adv course is basicaly the Beginner course without the 1st day basics and classroom it just the 2nd day riding exercises and on your bike. I would take the Adv Course and get the RLP DVD and practice.
I plan on taking the course this summer since I bought the SG this year for a refresher and to learn the handleing differences between it and the RK. BTW I got the DVD last month.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 AM
bdjhog
Road Captain

Thanks everyone. I'll be ordering the RLaP DVD once I get paid next week. I'm hoping to get into one of the ERC next month. although it may be a wast of time I'm gonna take the Beginners course again anyhow. It'll be fun to ride the little 125cc bikes!!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:23 AM
dlh62c
Advanced

You need to learn how tomaster the use of the friction zone.Finding and successfullyholding the clutch in the friction zone you should be able to just creep along at a very slow walking speed pace with your feet on the boards.Here's a web site that may help.

Ride Safe/Ride Often/Ride Respectfully
daryl

http://forums.delphiforums.com/motorman

Old 05-17-2007, 08:21 AM
DeathWind
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been througha Police Solo Riders Course and I'm a Rider Coach forthe MSF courses. TheERC exercises are nothing like the policemotorcycle riding techniques used and shown on the videos. The ERC uses most of the same course layout as the BRC but the speeds are a little higher. The big thing with the ERC is that you are already expected to know your bike so it eliminates the first few exercises used in the BRC to teach the basics of motorcycle layout and control. I have taught the ERC with new riders in it and they did fine.

Quick Reply: MSF Experienced Riders Course vs. Ride Like A Pro DVD