Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:22 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Go try them on before purchase, i bought a Harley one i finally like, tried it on at dealer, they had two, (of the one i chose) Same helmet, different fit. If you find a deal on-line, try to find a place to try it on, jmo

Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 PM
roadking531
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Akoury AK88 for shorter rides and a Shoei Qwest for long trips.

The AK 88 is light and sits low on the head, DOT, under $100

I never thought I would wear a FF, until I spent the money on a good one that fits correctly, and I have really come to appreciate it now.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Shoei RF1200 Full Face probably 90% of the time. Occasionally HJC 3/4. Having spent some time in an ICU and only here to talk about it because I was wearing a Full Face helmet . . . count me in as a believer!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

When I'm out cruising about on my RGS I wear 1 of these

Small lightweight DOT helmet that I can stash in my saddle bag. If I was heading out on a road trip or something different story but around town and such this gets it done 4 me

Old 04-15-2016, 08:29 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Have never liked helmets much, and because of where I usually ride, I don't have to have one. That being said I tried quite a few different ones for the times I had to wear one.

After getting the Limited and the TriGlide for the wife, I started looking at helmets because I wanted to be able to mount a CB mic. I have an HD 3/4 that I was never happy with, and a couple of halfs that didn't do it for me. Then I found one from Outlaw helmets. It is comfortable enough and convenient enough that I have come to wear it all the time, and it is DOT approved for those times I have to have it. I have a visor that snaps on where the sun visor goes, so it is even good in colder weather and when it rains. It doesn't provide the protection of some helmets, but is a nice compromise for me.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-He...cs/170057.html

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 04-15-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
I didn't have that experience at all behind my road glide fairing. That being said, as cool as they look and feel, I gave it up for a full face; Shoei Neotec. I value my face!
I have two Shoei helmets one short i don't think they make any more and a Neotech. i wear the Neotec most of the time, especially when its cold or the weather has the possibility of being wet. hate getting pelted in the face by rain.
Shark has an interesting concept. its a modular you can wear down or rotate the chin bar up all the way to the back and ride like a 3/4 helmet.
value your noggin.... get a good brain bucket.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I wear both a half helmet and a full face.

The half helmet is much more comfortable, but I have a big head so FF in my size are hard to come by.

The big difference is noise. The FF cuts down on the wind quite a bit.

Never had any "parachutte effect" with the half helmet.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:24 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I had a half helmet years ago, it did lift some at high speed, but was cooler in the Summer.
Now I have a 3/4 open face with an internal sun visor, that is about 6 years old. So I am
looking at new helmets at RevZilla on their videos. I am looking at prices from $100.oo to
around $450.oo, but there are some carbon helmets that cost more. A lot of cool helmets
out there now.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:23 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
........I am looking at new helmets at RevZilla on their videos............
i don't think you can go wrong with Revzilla. I've purchased a couple of helmets and a couple of textile jackets and pants. love those guys. quick to answer any question. videos really help.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:28 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
i don't think you can go wrong with Revzilla. I've purchased a couple of helmets and a couple of textile jackets and pants. love those guys. quick to answer any question. videos really help.
Got mine there....one real benefit, at least for me is that I found by wearing it around the house for more than the usual 15 min in a store can highlight issues that can affect your decision....of course YMMV.

Quick Reply: Helmets?