Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra to Street Glide taillight wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:43 PM
rsscoggins
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ultra to Street Glide taillight wiring

All

I need help. I am putting a 2014 Street Glide rear fender (with tribar and the combo brake/turn signals) on my Road Glide Ultra which will effectively eliminate the big rear center brake light.

Fender bolts up fine - however, the wiring harness connection under the seat on the Ultra is different than the connection for the Street Glide. See picture.

Is there an adapter? I see two part numbers in the HD CVO fender install that show part number 69200478 (8 way one end) and 69200532 (6 way one end) but neither of those part numbers tells you what is on the other end! AND no dealers in DFW stock them, so I can't even look at one to compare.

Any help outside of splicing wires which I would prefer not to do?

The following users liked this post:
carjunkie (03-05-2018)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the same on my bike. Got the earlier fitting from the dealer and retrofit it on the fender. K

Old 04-19-2016, 12:58 AM
rsscoggins
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Did the same on my bike. Got the earlier fitting from the dealer and retrofit it on the fender. K
Done and done! Got the pins and the connector from the dealer and wired it up tonight. Wire colors are different on the 14 vs the 11 but I got it sorted.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:51 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by rsscoggins
Done and done! Got the pins and the connector from the dealer and wired it up tonight. Wire colors are different on the 14 vs the 11 but I got it sorted.
That's great! I'm about to do the same.

So your turn signals work and act like a brake light etc?
Is there a part number for the connector you needed?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 AM
rsscoggins
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lp
That's great! I'm about to do the same.

So your turn signals work and act like a brake light etc?
Is there a part number for the connector you needed?
So now that I have some time, here is what I did, The fender was a complete take off from a 2014 Street glide. My bike is a 2011 Road Glide Ultra.
  1. Removed the connector from the original Street Glide wiring lead
  2. Cut off the original pins - the look very similar the pins required but do not fit in the housing.
  3. Replaced the pins with part number 73191-96 (you will need 6 and the appropriate crimper)
  4. Utilize the 8 place socket housing (part number 73158-96BK) that mates up to the OEM harness under the seat
But there is more to it than that - the wiring colors are different on the 2014 than on the 2011. So getting it wired up was a bit of educated guessing.

Here is the way I wired it up in the 8 pin housing:

Socket****** 2011 RGU*********2014 SG
Number***** Wire Color ******** Wire Color****Function
***1**********Brown**************Blue/Brown ***Right turn signal
***2**********Orange/White********Blue/Red******???
***3**********Purple**************Blue/Purple *** Left turn signal
***4**********empty**************empty
***5**********Black************** Black*********Ground
***6**********Red/Yellow**********Red/Yellow*****Stop
***7**********Blue***************Blue********** Runninglights
***8**********empty*************empty

Again educated guessing - blue, black and red/yellow all had corresponding wires on both the 2011 and 2014. When I put a 9v battery on the 2014 Blue/Brown it light up just the right light - so I assumed that it mated to the 2011 Brown. Likewise with the 2014 Blue/Purple (left light light up) to the 2011 Purple wire. The only one that had me dumbfounded was the 2011 Orange/White and the 2014 Blue/red. Through the process of elimination those were the only two left so I wired them together.

I was originally running the module from HD that made my turn signals brake lights. At first I did not use this and I did not have brake lights. Turn signals and all worked but no brake lights. I plugged in that module (again that I previously had on the bike) and everything works. So either my wiring cross reference in the chart above is wrong and I have something cross wired OR you must have this turn signal module to make this work on the 2011. Don't know and I am open to suggestions. Again it could be that Orange/white = blue/red issue, not sure....

Last edited by rsscoggins; 04-19-2016 at 09:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rsscoggins:
carjunkie (03-05-2018), lp (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:37 PM
rsscoggins
Road Captain

Any one have a wiring diagram for a 2014 and later touring taillight assembly?

Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Eric miller
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now that I have some time, here is what I did, The fender was a complete take off from a 2014 Street glide. My bike is a 2011 Road Glide Ultra.
  2. Cut off the original pins - the look very similar the pins required but do not fit in the housing.
  3. Replaced the pins with part number 73191-96 (you will need 6 and the appropriate crimper)
  4. Utilize the 8 place socket housing (part number 73158-96BK) that mates up to the OEM harness under the seat
But there is more to it than that - the wiring colors are different on the 2014 than on the 2011. So getting it wired up was a bit of educated guessing.

Again educated guessing - blue, black and red/yellow all had corresponding wires on both the 2011 and 2014. When I put a 9v battery on the 2014 Blue/Brown it light up just the right light - so I assumed that it mated to the 2011 Brown. Likewise with the 2014 Blue/Purple (left light light up) to the 2011 Purple wire. The only one that had me dumbfounded was the 2011 Orange/White and the 2014 Blue/red. Through the process of elimination those were the only two left so I wired them together.

I was originally running the module from HD that made my turn signals brake lights. At first I did not use this and I did not have brake lights. Turn signals and all worked but no brake lights. I plugged in that module (again that I previously had on the bike) and everything works. So either my wiring cross reference in the chart above is wrong and I have something cross wired OR you must have this turn signal module to make this work on the 2011. Don't know and I am open to suggestions. Again it could be that Orange/white = blue/red issue, not sure....
Did u end up needing the module to get the brake lights to work.? I'm doing the same thing and for the life of me cant get the brakes lights to come on?

Old 03-25-2021, 01:25 PM
Earl Nosis Bruce
6th Gear

do you have the color order of the wires for 2014 plug? Or a pic showing the order I got the plug just don’t know what color wire goes where in it tho thanks any help would be appreciated

Old 03-26-2021, 03:16 PM
dmonger
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric miller
Did u end up needing the module to get the brake lights to work.? I'm doing the same thing and for the life of me cant get the brakes lights to come on?
This is a 5yr old thread. Probably not gonna get an answer...

Old 09-15-2022, 11:10 AM
sbm3261947
Stage II

Try Custom Dynamics. They make many custom, plug and play,wiring harnesses for rear fender swaps/conversions for HD. I installed a 2018 Road Glide rear fender on my 2013 EG .Bought the plug and play harness for $39.00 from CD.

Quick Reply: Ultra to Street Glide taillight wiring