Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lots of new parts and still valve train noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default lots of new parts and still valve train noise

To start i bought my uncles 2000 FLHTC 70k that he had owned for the last 12 years and got the family price this past november and i didnt ride it much due to the cold winter weather.I found the motor a little noisy so this past winter i brought it in to my Indy to have the 95 inch kit installed, wiseco forged flat tops 9.1.1 and a set of Redshift 527 cams on his recommendation and also the SE camplate hyd tensioners and oil pump, also installed S&S Lifters and S&S adj pushrods and new primary tensioner block,after all this work done there is still valve train noise, i call chatter that is noticeable, my indy was surprised also and thought it would quiet it down, i drove it about 40 miles and still not broken in yet , my indy at his cost decided to pull the cam chest and heads to see if there was anything he could see and the motor checked out fine, i did ask him if the rockers were in spec and there too all was good, i got the bike back and will continue the break in and see if that will make a difference because my indy says that it sometimes quiets down after all the parts are broken in and then to bring it back to him at 500 miles, Does this make sense?i was even thinking of trying those Rockouts for the rockers that i have read here, mentioned them to my indy and he knew nothing of them.Hard part is trying to decifer the valve train noise, its not like its one lifter with a tick, more like the whole valve train.

What are your thoughts, i have heard the THEY ALL DO THAT but my old 2002 Dyna was very quiet and i would here the usual valve train noise only when i had a windshield on it

Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I think trying to quite down a engine with all those performance upgrades is just a dream. The valve train will continue to have normal noise.Some people,me included have installed the Rockout bushings in the rocker plates,but that only diminished the noise in the 2500 rpm range.Cam upgrades with adjustable pushrods tend to be noisy if adjusted per manufacturer specs and lifters play a big part in this.If the engine runs good and performs,I would not worry about the valve train noise.

Last edited by GTK; 05-01-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Wraith04
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

At what RPM's is it making the most noise?

I don't know about it quieting down after time, sounds like the Rockouts may help with the noise, not surprised he hasn't heard of them, most have lived with the noise forever and just ignore it.