Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Maikeli7
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Mods

I have a 2014 FLHTCU Ultra, not liquid cooled. It has the 103 ci high output engine.
Got a couple of questions about performance mods. First, I will tell you what I have had done, then I will tell you the Dyno numbers, and then I will ask a few questions:
1. First, I got the Screamin Eagle Stage One Air upgrade, which included the increased-flow air intake, Vance and Hine headers, 4-inch Rinehart slipons, the Screamin Eagle tuner, and a dyno tuning.
2. The next year, I got new cams: H-D Screamin Eagle 585 cams, with the springs, and the dyno tuning.
My Dyno numbers are currently 90 hp and 105 foot-pounds of torque. Got the work done at Ray Price Harley-Davidson in Raleigh, NC.
Questions:
1. For anyone who has had similar work done on their 103 ci engine, what dyno numbers are you posting?
2. Are my dyno numbers too low for what I have?
3. What performance mod(s) would you recommend next? I am thinking about getting the 58 mm throttlebody next. Not sure what else would have to go with that, if anything. Maybe I ought to just say "screw it" and get the big bore.
I love my bike, and I love how it runs, but I am always looking to squeeze more performance from the bike, just because I know it is in there.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Those numbers seem low, but a Harley shop is likely not going to squeeze out the optimum hp/torque for your mods. Sure, they will say that if you have them do it, it will still be under warranty...and a lot of guys care about that...so unless you go to a reputable indy for better tuning, you might as well be satisfied with the "Harley shop" tune. It boils down to this...what do you want? Performance or the assurance of warranty? Good luck.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Maikeli7
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Those numbers seem low, but a Harley shop is likely not going to squeeze out the optimum hp/torque for your mods. Sure, they will say that if you have them do it, it will still be under warranty...and a lot of guys care about that...so unless you go to a reputable indy for better tuning, you might as well be satisfied with the "Harley shop" tune. It boils down to this...what do you want? Performance or the assurance of warranty? Good luck.
Ahh, I see. So it's the warranty that makes the dealership service techs err on the side of caution. That kind of explains things. I definitely want to stay within warranty. Thanks, Joe.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:39 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Low numbers have nothing to do with warranty, I think you're reading too much into this.
It there are better numbers to be had, an indy or dealer can do it.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:54 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

How does the bike feel?

58mm throttle body? Seriously..... I'm thinking a well build 110" or just step up to a 120"

Last edited by jt metal; 05-14-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Cyclerama .575 cams are a GREAT plug/play cam for a 103" touring machine.
No reason on God's green earth those should void any warranty.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The key to your question is the tuner. Many dealers have 'qualified' dyno operators on staff; very few have top notch dyno tuners on staff for a variety of reasons.
Visit the 'tuning sections' of several forums and get an idea about what questions to ask tuners to weed the best from the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I'd shop around for a reputable tuner with whom you feel comfortable building a relationship.
Visit with tuners and ask them questions about what you should look for in a tuner.
Incidentally, Scott and Hillside, gave you good advice on the cams.

Last edited by JetD; 05-14-2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Your numbers are low. If you are happy with the bike, dyno chart numbers mean little.

But a good Stage I on a HO 103 will put out the 105/90, with your cams you should be even higher.

Do not go with a 58mm TB, it is too large, you will actually see a drop in torque with your set up.

To squeeze more performance out of the bike there are a few things you can do without jeopardizing your warranty:

Get a High Performance Air Cleaner like the Outlaw 636v. Not only does it increase the velocity of the air going into your throttle body, it lets only dry oxygen rich air in. The SE A/C is putting oxygen depleted air into your combustion chambers.

Make sure that you are not running too hot. The cooler the engine is (180-230 range), the stronger it will run. There are a lot of things you can do to get your temps down. There's an article on it at this LINK.

You don't say which V&H headers your running, if they are the Power Duals or 2-1, those are good. If you are running the True Duals, you are giving up a bit there.

The 4" Rineharts are not ideal for top performance, but you can pick up 4-7% torque in your low & mid range if you put some Thunder Torque Inserts in them...they will sound a bit deeper also.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-15-2016, 01:39 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I believe the 585s will be a little soft without some compression. Add some headwork and it would probably really be a different bike. If it feels good don't worry just ride. I went cam only, nice like and a Indy dyno tune and got good results. 585 lift cams but not the screamin eagles. Totally different.

Last edited by cdonis; 05-15-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Don't chase numbers, just make sure the bike runs good. The numbers on the same engine can vary depending on many factors. Temperature, humidity, altitude, barometric pressure, settings on the dyno, etc. If it runs good, that's the most important part. If you're not happy with the butt dyno feel and want more power, then you need to start saving money for more mods and another tune.

As previously mentioned, I've never had a "great" tune from a dealership. I had them tune two bikes new with minor mods. One, like you, I felt wasn't quite right and had it retuned by an indy and had a huge improvement in power and put over 100,000 miles on it. very happy with it. The other bike tuned by a dealer made about 15,000 miles, ran like crap and was falling apart internally. I asked the indy to retune it and before he did, he inspected it and showed me the crank was out of round and the cams were wearing terribly. I tried to get warranty from the dealer and they gave me the old line that they couldn't find anything wrong so I traded it in on a new one and wouldn't let them touch it. Took it straight to my indy instead.

Make sure you talk to the guy tuning your bike. Tell him about your riding style so he can help you with a cam choice. Do you take your bike to the rev limiter all the time and need a high end cam or do you tour two up and need low end torque? Tell him what you want so he can tune accordingly. Do you want fuel mileage, do you want dependability, do you want it to be a beast, or a combination. The dealership is going to be limited to push the HD cams and products and give you the warranty line. An indy will be able to recommend a wide variety of aftermarket cams that might fit you better.

Good luck. The possibilities are unlimited.

Quick Reply: Performance Mods