Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:39 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,669 Likes on 1,670 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Fans

Does anyone know of a oil cooler fan kit that you can install on a 012 ultra ? Instead of buying a new fan assisted cooler like a Jagg or Ultra reefer does someone make a kit you can install on the stock Harley oil cooler and wire it to the accessory switch ? If so, who ? Has anyone here installed one on their bike and what was your experience with it ? Thank you.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts
Old 06-16-2016, 07:56 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Consider looking at Big Sky. They are affordable, they work. Cooling oil is really not that important in an HD. It does not make the head run any cooler.
But if you want them these are great. Not sure if they still market them.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

No one seems to be a big fan( pardon the pun) of these. Minimal cooling capabilities.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Jagg and Ultra both sell the fans separately, as well as the other components. You could from their sites configure your own set up.

I have been looking at fans for a year now, there is no kit. There are some ebay sellers, some even part of forums that started up their own business of making and selling what you are looking for in a kit form, they sell on ebay and offer a no questions asked return policy, cant hurt to try if you are interested.

I tried one last year, I didnt bother hooking it up and returned it. I dont really like computer type fans that have silicone added to them to make them water proof, but in all fairness, they seem to have happy customers.

Jagg sells a true fan used in automobiles too (as well as a computer type fan) that you can buy from them or any internet site. I would also be more inclined to trust their computer type fans, again, you would need to put together your own kit at a premium cost.

You can buy your own fan, figure out your own wiring, the fan is made by "Spal" a true automotive type fan, with that said, you might be better off with the computer type from the two companies above. The Spal, with a real robust waterproof motor, the motor may (or maynot) block to much of the air when riding high speed (just a thought I had). You can buy a SPAL fan in PUSH or PULL so pay attention if you want the fan to push air or pull.

AS you can see I have researched the death out of this, in fact tomorrow, if feeling well am going to do a test with an idea, that I will post, if I get the time to do it. But not say anything until I document it.

This is what I learned on my 14 Road King:
The oil does not need as much cooling dead stopped as it does at 70MPH. (yes, this caught me by surprise) But once you think about it, at dead idle, your engine is only producing a few horse power and the oil cooler with no air going threw it, still acts like a radiator and heat does escape it, it seems the HD design does work, I have noticed after careful watching my oil temps are lower at dead idle and slow speed then at 70 to 80MPH.
So for normal riding, I do not need a fan.

Ok, then we go onto, well, if stuck in traffic a LONG time, it could overheat the engine and oil. I agree with that, it could, but I guess I have been lucky here in SC for the last 7 years of never being stuck more then 15 or 20 minutes, no problem.
Also, keep in mind, with a fan and cooled oil, it is not going to bring down engine temps as much as we might expect in a traffic jam, it will help, but maybe we are looking at 10/15 degrees or so out of possibly up to a few hundred that is not much. One thing for sure, it will save the oil and the oil will continue to protect the engine so I am not at all discounting the idea.

But if the major concern is about cooling the engine, the best, without question option is any of the fans, (wards etc) OR your own fan for emergencies that blow on the engine. I was thinking of the possibility of seeing if I could hide one under the gas tank above the heads, engine starts getting too hot, flip the fan on, air blows down on the head and will be far more effective then oil cooler fan.

Anyway, its a project that I still to this day know where I am going, but I am leaning towards forgetting about an oil cooler fan and if anything, simply swapping out the 6 row Harley Cooler and installing one of the mentioned companies 10 Row coolers, more then enough in my mind then a fan.
Then one day possibly see about the feasibility of putting a fan above the heads under the tank.
I have noticed my 14 RK, no matter what, at idle, oil always under 225 degrees and 70 to 80 MPH always under 250 degrees.
Harleys own specs in my manual state an oil operating temp of 230 which I am at.
BUT, I think I stumbled onto something the other day and will test it out if I can tomorrow, takes less then a few minutes to do and 100% cost free using the existing HD cooler.
Hope this helps your thought process! Again, not for or against anything, for me a fun project and I can end up one day with a fan cooled cooler but leaning against it, this week anyway. If my idea and thoughts can be confirmed tomorrow, I will post it, then most likely simply add my own fan to the cooler "in case" one day or super hot days and in my area of SC, its normal for about 3 straight months to never see a daytime high below 90 and 100 is just a big yawn.
(sometimes for my own good I wish I didnt think to much)

Last edited by alarmdoug; 06-16-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:02 PM
L2RmyHD
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

getting on board to follow the thread.

I am interested in cooling the engine as well, be it oil cooler or fans blowing on the fins.

I am not yet sold on fans being mounted just on the left side. If they are cooling the engine, then the aluminum is contracting differently than the right side. I don't understand the seals or clearances of the internals but I do understand how much aluminum expands and contracts with heat or lack of it. It is significant.

So a fan coming from the top is interesting.

I have been thinking about some air blades that simply catch the wind and cup it into the rear engine. It would be maintenance free and cooling would be equal left and right.
There ways to figure out how to mount them, the problem is making them look good or be invisible.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I have ridden police bikes with the left side H-D fan that blows through the jug fins. I suppose it offers some cooling to the engine but it also nearly fries your right leg with the heat blowing out. If you have a trike, where you have your feet on the boards even at a stop, you will really get your right leg heated up. Also the H-D one breaks the rubber mounting bolts rather frequently. Just something to think about. The lower frame mounted oil cooler seems to be a good idea with no downside I can see. It may not be the most efficient design but it does do some oil cooling.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:13 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

How about putting on some late model lowers (radiators) from a water cooler and using them as oil coolers?

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Fans