Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Road King passing lamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2002 Road King passing lamps

Had a passing lamp on my 2002 Road King quit, figured it would be a very simple replace a bulb repair. Took the thing off in a few seconds and made a few calls to local auto parts stores and did some Internet searching for a replacement. It appeared to be some sort of sealed unit and I'd have to change the whole bulb assembly. After a half our of searching and reading threads on the Forums, etc, I was coming up with conflicting information and not really finding what I wanted.

Since I couldn't easily nail down what to do so I called our local HD dealer. The parts counter guy quickly figured out by my description of the light that I had an early light "kit" and only had to change the bulb. He told me to gently remove the glued on rubber cover and the bulb would have three retention screws and come right out. He said I could find an H3 12 volt 35 watt bulb at most auto parts stores, and he was right.

He could have just as easily told me they don't support that set-up anymore and sold me the updated light kit or even an LED upgrade. Sometimes it's nice on these bikes to repair something that doesn't cost a lot.

Thought I'd put this up here, even in the age of everyone going to LED's, figured they might be a few folks still using halogen set-ups and may run into the same thing I did trying to replace one of the bulbs........Cliff

The following 2 users liked this post by Cliff R:
crazytown (07-01-2016), lt1-xjs (07-02-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 08:27 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

if u do a little online searching u can upgrade those bulbs for different color, wattage or even led replacement bulbs.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Cliff R
Cruiser

LED's sound nice, I'll check into it...tks...Cliff

Old 07-02-2016, 09:00 AM
bassnman
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought a pr of LED's yesterday on Amazon, super BRITE!! $58.00 for the pr, I also ordered the matching head lite, all 3 for about $143.. +

Old 07-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Cliff R
Cruiser

I saw quite a few replacement LED's for the H3's on Amazon, but haven't looked for anything to replace the headlight. Not even sure what to look for? 2002's used a sealed beam for the headlight......Cliff

Old 07-02-2016, 02:50 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

This thread made me question my old bulbs. I replaced mine on my 2002 a few years back with the newer fluted halogens to match the headlight. I took out what I thought was a seal beam. I just checked and they have the rubber cap like yours. I can tell you the lights match sitting still, but at night the old are far superior. I may switch to leds and put them back on.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:48 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

for an inexpensive stupid bright upgrade (imo as good as led) socal motogear hid headlight with led passing lamp bulbs.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Cliff R
Cruiser

I wouldn't have removed the glued on rubber boot looking for a replaceable bulb if the parts counter person at HD didn't tell me they used H3 bulbs. They don't appear to be something that should be tampered with, but I was remarkably surprised at how easy the boot cam off and it's very easy to change the bulb. The H3 bulb has it's own inner rubber seal so unlikely any water would get into the unit. I still took the additional time to RTV the boot back in place like the factory did, and even secured it better with a wire tie.

If I find suitable LED replacement bulbs that are plug and play I'll post the info on this thread. Going to try to buy them local first, Amazon is showing several options but they are not getting very good ratings......Cliff

Old 01-17-2019, 12:21 PM
tm4625
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cliff R
Had a passing lamp on my 2002 Road King quit, figured it would be a very simple replace a bulb repair. Took the thing off in a few seconds and made a few calls to local auto parts stores and did some Internet searching for a replacement. It appeared to be some sort of sealed unit and I'd have to change the whole bulb assembly. After a half our of searching and reading threads on the Forums, etc, I was coming up with conflicting information and not really finding what I wanted.

Since I couldn't easily nail down what to do so I called our local HD dealer. The parts counter guy quickly figured out by my description of the light that I had an early light "kit" and only had to change the bulb. He told me to gently remove the glued on rubber cover and the bulb would have three retention screws and come right out. He said I could find an H3 12 volt 35 watt bulb at most auto parts stores, and he was right.

He could have just as easily told me they don't support that set-up anymore and sold me the updated light kit or even an LED upgrade. Sometimes it's nice on these bikes to repair something that doesn't cost a lot.

Thought I'd put this up here, even in the age of everyone going to LED's, figured they might be a few folks still using halogen set-ups and may run into the same thing I did trying to replace one of the bulbs........Cliff
Thanks Cliff. This information came in very handy for my 2003 Road King.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Standard 4" tractor lights will work just fine. I bought mine at Fleet Farm.

Quick Reply: 2002 Road King passing lamps