Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toe shifter stripped

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:31 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through 2 levers and 1 shaft before I found the Stainless Steel pingle shaft and thats when I realized I was too heavy footed when shifting

Old 07-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I put antiseize on the bolt, so I can torque it more without stripping, when installing levers.

I don't remember hearing about the splines going bad, usually just loose.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by shakrr
I went through 2 levers and 1 shaft before I found the Stainless Steel pingle shaft and thats when I realized I was too heavy footed when shifting
If everythins is adjusted right it doesn't take much effort to shift. When I first got mine, I stomped to hard.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,039 Likes on 8,473 Posts

If you're going to use locktite, put it on the spline shaft and not the bolt that pinches the shifter. Antiseize is the best thing to get that bolt tightened down as much as ya can. When the toe shifter is beyond tightening, you have a spare right under your heal.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
If everythins is adjusted right it doesn't take much effort to shift. When I first got mine, I stomped to hard.
This has been my experience on my last 4 Harleys. I am heel shifter rider. One of my first adjustments I make is adjusting the shifter as low as possible on the heal end, Heim joints installed, a clutch pack adjustment cold and synthetic gear lube in the trans. At worse, a light click on the heal shifter gets it done. I do ride with a low profile heal on my boots, makes it easy to control. Never a shifter or rod issue in 200,000+ miles of riding these Harleys.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:19 PM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably twisted the threads on the shaft. They're softer then the lever and banging hard up shifts or downs usually twists the splines. I usually do it to my heel shifter about every two years since I have extended levers and a heavy foot. 20 min $10 fix.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 AM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine just went 2 weeks ago. It was the splines in the shifter gone, had to ride the last 40 miles home downshifting with my left hand m since my heel shifter was too low to get my heel under.
Scott

Old 07-14-2016, 07:01 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Peepers
What he said. In my experience, it's been the lever not the shaft.
yeah, meant to say that earlier....i had the problem, it was the front sifter vs the shaft.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,693 Likes on 827 Posts

Mine was the rear shifter (heel) that fell off on the highway. They had it since Sunday so I am assuming they are changing the shaft. Good thing I have 1 month left of warranty. They are even replacing the chrome/rubber shifter peg that got damaged sliding down the highway.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:38 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Pretty common. The shifter lever is purposely made with a softer medal than the shaft to fail in accidents. Once they start to fail, it's pretty much over for them no matter how hard you torque them down. It happens to most of us.

Be sure and torque your new one down to specs and use blue Loctite on the bolt.

Beary
I took the lever off at the tranny shaft, put it in a vise, gently clamped it, then replaced the OEM bolt with a grade 8 hex bolt. You can't get enough torque on the Allen head to crimp the lever tight enough around the tranny shaft. By clamping it gently and using a hex bolt, you can achieve the desired affect.

Quick Reply: Toe shifter stripped